Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I read the book a few months back while on an extended leave from work. Of the 15 books I read, Lone Survivor was tied for the best.

Tonight I saw the Movie, with Marcus Walberg playing real life Navy Seal �Marcus Luttrell�. The only man to survive a mission in Afghanistan that went very bad

The movie is very good. Not as good as the book, but very good. The first � of the movie follows the first half of the book pretty close. The last � of the movie, they take some liberty to condense the last half of the book.
Some intense war action, good acting and directing.. Very realistic, if you like red mist, you�ll like this one. Lots of blood, but no more then it takes to tell a story about a battle between 4 Navy Seals and 150 Taliban (think target rich environment).
If you don�t know the (true) story, I suggest you read news accounts before you see the movie. Better yet, read the book, it�s very good.
I give the movie 4 out of 5, and the book 5 out of 5

MOLON LABE
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I saw it today, very good. However, they left a lot out, and I agree the end could have been better. The montage at the end was very classy!

I still find it hard to believe Mark Wahlberg as Marcus Luttrell. Loved the book, and will be reading it again soon.

America's warriors, the heart of America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hope to see the movie this weekend. I've read the book 3 times now, I hope Hollywood didn't botch it. Although from what I have seen on previews and read about the making of it, Marcus Luttrel and other Seals were on the set while they filmed it and had a lot of input. I hope they make a movie about Chris Kyle, that would be a great way to remember his life and achievements.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The end of the movie really ruined it for me after reading the book.

I have friends who are Afghan refuges and there is a lot to be learnt about that country that is not correctly reported in the media or discussed on internet forums.

The book gives a better idea of the relationship between the regular Afghan and the Taliban.

The only reason this story came to light (as did the Bravo two Zero story) was because the mission failed. This does not however detract at all from the individual heroism and sacrifice displayed by those involved.

Please read the book and regard the movie as mostly entertainment.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have read Lone Survivor multiple times and just read Service (the next one) again. We can give Hollyweird some slack cut due to time compression. It is already two hours long. They cut out a lot of the action that happened from the time Axe and Marcus got hit with the RPG until the rescue no doubt as well as fictionalizing the hell out of that portion. My main concern was that they would Hollyweird up the tumble down the mountain and they did a good job with that.

READ THE BOOK!!!!!

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Anaconda: "Lone Survivor" finally came to my remote corner of the world three days ago.
The VarmintWife and I both enjoyed the movie very much.
I am not a book reader to any great extent (other than any Hunting and Rifle type books I can get my hands on).
I think I will actually go see it again before it leaves town.
It was hard to watch in several places (as is war I suspect!).
I wish I had not had SO MANY spoilers before actually getting to see the movie though.
Thats the trouble with living in a small town with a single theatre (du-plex).
I gave the movie a 95 on a scale of 1 to 100.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So far the best book like this I've read about the US in Afghanistan. Haven't seen the movie.

In the book in several places Luttrell was very critical about the liberal media and their responsibility for our politicized "rules of engagement", said they are responsible for a lot of American casualties including those in "operation redwing" and the rescue attempt, goes into some detail about it. Are these statements in the movie?

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
43shooter: I went and saw the movie again on Tuesday of this week and I did not glean any of that type "politicalization" in the movie at all.
Was even better the second time for me - I was able to keep my eyes open for about 97% of the movie this time as compared to being so scared and offended that I had to close my eyes through about 85% of the movie the first time.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I took the wife a couple weeks ago, although a good movie and would recommend to anyone, I prefer the book as the movie left out many important details. This story would require a mini series to fully describe what these warriors went through. I liked that Marcus Luttrell played a role in the movie, that must have been an emotional roller coaster for him.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
I saw the movie and loved it! Of course a bunch of it made me wonder how much of it was Hollywood but from the sounds of it it sounds like it follows the book at least fairly close. After reading this thread last night, it pushed me over the edge and I order the book. I've been reading the Chris Kyle book and love it so I'm sure I will love the lone survivor as well! As soon as I'm done with this book I will order the second one.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

428 members (06hunter59, 19rabbit52, 160user, 1Longbow, 163bc, 1lesfox, 40 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,655
Posts18,533,871
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.