Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Actually, DJS, when one says that one wants the govt out of our lives, I agree.

But, that assumes the unborn are not persons and therein is the catch. If you see the unborn as a person you pretty much have to wind up libertarian on their behalf. You do want government to protect innocent people, right?

As a libertarian, I should not be using the force of law to impose my religious views of when life begins upon you.

You needn't be particularly religious to oppose killing innocent humans. That is the heart of the discussion.

OT, your view of when life begins is a religion belief, and the rest of your argument flows from that religious belief, so an imposition of a religious view upon others is at the heart of the issue.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seperate DNA a beating heart is not religious. It's science. The new DNA forms at conception because that is when the new life forms.

Religion is God saying "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you;".

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

But, that assumes the unborn are not persons and therein is the catch. If you see the unborn as a person you pretty much have to wind up libertarian on their behalf. You do want government to protect innocent people, right?

As a libertarian, I should not be using the force of law to impose my religious views of when life begins upon you.

You needn't be particularly religious to oppose killing innocent humans. That is the heart of the discussion.

OT, your view of when life begins is a religion belief, and the rest of your argument flows from that religious belief, so an imposition of a religious view upon others is at the heart of the issue.

Where did I bring religion into this? You did. I think it may be your convenient straw man "out" of choice. ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I would disagree that the issue of when life begins is based upon religious views. I would not trust it to something so nebulous; it's biological all right. smile

Nor do I buy into the notion that life begins when this "stream of consciousness begins"....who can say for certain when that starts?

Ability to survive outside the womb? That's preposterous...by any rational standard that is pretty clearly a child in there.

The problem with an awful lot of the abortion discussion is that it centers around "our" perceptions", the "rights" of third parties, societies "ability" to determine when life begins ...but pays precious little attention to the one life most directly affected, and unable to make his/her views known......a compassionate and civilized people will defer to that life form, and give it a chance, rather than grasp at straws to justify destroying it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Where did I bring religion into this? You did. I think it may be your convenient straw man "out" of choice. ;-{>8

So you deny being a Christian and holding a religious belief that life begins at conception?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Actually over 60% occur within the first 9 weeks, 87% within the first 12 weeks.

Code
Gest. week    Percent
<9 weeks     60.6%
9-10         17.1%
11-12         9.1% 
13-15         6.3%
16-20         3.8%
> 21          1.3%

Regardless I still imagine you would draw the line at conception?

Yes, conception. Do you deny that a 12 week old fetus is a human?

Clearly not a human child
http://www.babycenter.com/fetal-development-images-12-weeks

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by jdm953
Gentlemen of the campfire,its been many years since school so forgive me if Im not correct.A person becomes human life when their DNA becomes complete.They will never become more human.Isnt this completion what we call fertilized.

This is an opinion, that in all likely hood coincides with your religious belief. Just because you assert it, does not make it true. Barak covered this in his egg/chicken example.
The idea that human life is determined by the degree of development is evil.We can not make that decision.A one year old child can not survive on its own but its human life.Im sure we all agree on this.The idea that anyone will choose to decide when human life is or isnt a person is scarey.Playing God is foolish.

Last edited by jdm953; 01/24/14.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
These comments are directed at the participants in general, not to any one poster:

In my OP, I used the word "homicide", since in the strictest sense, it ascribes no ethical nor moral consequences to the act itself. Our society recognizes that individual persons are authorized to commit homicide in some instances.

My position is that at some point in a pregnancy, an abortion IS homicide.

So, with respect to abortion, I'm in the position of a juror asked to determine if a particular homicide is justified. I wouldn't be expected to vote without all the particulars being presented.

Unlike other homicides, an abortion as is commonly practiced involves the participation of more than one party, so premeditation is established at the outset, and thus, the usual elements of a "justifiable homicide" are not present.

To support abortion as it is currently practiced in our country, I MUST conclude that an abortion is not homicide............. EVER.

To be against abortion because of my Christian beliefs, I'm forced to establish if my concern is for the unborn baby, the mother, or the provider.

The unborn baby gets a free pass to Heaven, so any concern for him is shallow, at best. I'm constrained NOT to judge the mother and the provider, since they will have a chance to repent.

So......... my concern about harm done must be for the society in which I live. I certainly can't expect perfection from a society made up of sinful humans, so perfection can't be a USEFUL standard for ascribing guilt.

According to the statistics provided by one of the participants, if we allow abortions during the first 9 weeks of pregnancy at the discretion of the mother and the provider, we will reduce total abortions to 60% of their present number.

If we apply the rules for "justifiable homicide" to the remaining 40%, that number would decrease dramatically.

That's a compromise I can live with, knowing fully that it IS a compromise.

IF that makes me "pro choice" in the minds of some of my forum friends, then so be it.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

So you deny being a Christian and holding a religious belief that life begins at conception?

You're an idiot.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Since you addressed your post to me, I'll return the favor:

"gay rights and women's health issues?"

An odd linkage, it seems to me.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A cow and a deer experience hunger and pain yet we consider them not to be SELF aware, and the killing of such is not murder.

Define "self aware"?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott F

As for the fertile chicken egg, it is alive until it is killed.

But is it a chicken?

Carpe' Scrotum
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Steve

But is it a chicken?
Absolutely

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Anybody argue with this order?

1) Life

2) Liberty

3) Pursuit of happiness

Another way to think it, work from the bottom up starting with the one that would logically be relinquished in time of crisis.
Life would always be the most logical one to preserve, even in the absence of the other two. Problem in America is, the other two come first now. "Right to choose" is nothing more than a selfish clinging to pursuit of happiness. A baby is inconvenient so I'll kill it.

LOL
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm against abortion, can't fathom how a person could do it.

That said, I can understand it for cases of rape/incest and medical reasons.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

But is it a chicken?
Absolutely

This is a chicken?

[Linked Image]

Carpe' Scrotum
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Take a DNA sample and let science decide.

But is it a chicken?
Absolutely

This is a chicken?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hummm... If I send in a mouth swap to a DNA lab, it will tell me that I have human DNA. Is the goo on the swab a human being?

Carpe' Scrotum
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
No but it will show the DNA of a human.It will not be alive.When a grown man dies he will show the DNA of a human.If you check the DNA of a dead fetus it will show the DNA of a human.Whats your point.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Barkoff
A cow and a deer experience hunger and pain yet we consider them not to be SELF aware, and the killing of such is not murder.

Define "self aware"?

The ability to recognize oneself when looking into a mirror/reflection, this is one of the things separates humans beings from animals.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,928 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,970
Posts18,519,709
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.