-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Born in New Yorkistan, but I'm FROM Northwest Montana.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Seems like just another step to go to and a lot of trouble just because you hate your name.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Seems like just another step to go to and a lot of trouble just because you hate your name.

your really grasping at straws.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
https://www.google.com/maps/myplaces?ll=39.412584,-86.388824&spn=0.001015,0.002411&ctz=300&t=h&z=19

Last edited by Martinstucky; 01/24/14.

If you can read, you can see it coming!

http://www.mtekweaponsystems.com/
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Born Susquehanna County PA in the 1950s. As a Navy retiree I have lived in VA. Beach longer than anywhere else. Every place I was stationed in these great United States I have really enjoyed. We truly have a great country. I know I have won the lottery of life by being born an American.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rattler

I'm not grasping at anything. Given enough time and knowledge most people of average intelligence could teach themselves via the internet, to look up your general location. Given that most people in the USA live in tightly packed urban areas, I don't know how much good it would do. Secondly, that's not a name which is what you'd need to find out more about them. Thirdly, like I said, an average person would have to have more than average computer knowledge to figure out how to PING somebody's IP and get the ISP location within five minutes. If they're advanced, they probably already know. Do you really think that over 10% of the population could teach themselves to look somebody up in five minutes? If you do, you're not as smart as I thought Sherman. Oops, [bleep] up your name. Now I'm gonna have "Movin' on Up" runnin' through my head the rest of the day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2
The best state in the Union- OREGON!!! Yeah!
Ok, not really the best, maybe in the top 50 57 though.

Or not.

Fixed it for ya. grin

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
During his high-school summers, my friend Jesse hauled chokers up and down high-country logging ridges in western Montana. (For you city lads, a choker is a loop in the end of a long, heavy steel cable. The oh! so lucky lads who tote 'em also set 'em � "lasso" the ends of logs with 'em so that skidding jammers can snake 'em up or down to where they can be loaded onto logging trucks.)

After high school, Jesse went to the university � and became a player on the freshman football squad.

One of the very first things that the freshman squad did each fall was to run � in field gear, of course � up the zig-zag trail up the mountain that formed the east wall of the campus.

But not Jesse � not the biggest guy I've known. Not by the switch-back trail but straight up the mountain he ran � without having to drag any steel cable.

When the coach and the rest of the freshman squad came up puffing and panting, Jesse was waiting � and breathing easy. The coach stared at Jesse �

"Where you from, Boy?"

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm not grasping at anything. Given enough time and knowledge most people of average intelligence could teach themselves via the internet, to look up your general location. Given that most people in the USA live in tightly packed urban areas, I don't know how much good it would do. Secondly, that's not a name which is what you'd need to find out more about them. Thirdly, like I said, an average person would have to have more than average computer knowledge to figure out how to PING somebody's IP and get the ISP location within five minutes. If they're advanced, they probably already know. Do you really think that over 10% of the population could teach themselves to look somebody up in five minutes? If you do, you're not as smart as I thought Sherman. Oops, [bleep] up your name. Now I'm gonna have "Movin' on Up" runnin' through my head the rest of the day.

yet your the one that said people have been trained not to give out personal info and location is some of the most personal.....i just pointed out if your [bleep] around on the internet on a forum like this its kinda pointless that its a big secret....aint any troll that truly pissed someone off on here yet that hasnt had their personal info posted up in pretty short order....if yah post regular anyone with half a brain will figure it out before long....

and if you can figure out any half arse combination of words to put in google you can come up with how to do the ISP stuff.....most wont bother but then ive seen some of the most paranoid idiots on the fire refuse to basic security chit cause learning it "takes to much time"....

and rattler aint my name on here cause i hate my name, its that on here cause at the time i signed up on here its the name i was using in a couple different chat rooms and forums and to make chit simple i kept it all the same.....beat explaining that my dad was a Civil War buff everytime someone new saw the name Sheridan just like happens most the time when i meet someone new in person.....given i was mostly on reptile sites at the time "rattler" needed no explanation....

dont hate my name, hell having a unique one means ive never had a hiccup in any background check ive had to go through be it a 4473 or state liquor and gambling licences or anything else...as far as i know im the only "Sheridan Shumway" in the country especially given my last name aint that common either.....

and you are grasping at straws trying to needle me with your comment above cause your a prick......that much is obvious to anyone that reads many of your posts....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I may be a prick but I'm not the one getting mad enough to resort to name calling over a simple disagreement on the web. Nor am I a backstabber.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

yet your the one that said people have been trained not to give out personal info and location is some of the most personal.....i just pointed out if your [bleep] around on the internet on a forum like this its kinda pointless that its a big secret....aint any troll that truly pissed someone off on here yet that hasnt had their personal info posted up in pretty short order....if yah post regular anyone with half a brain will figure it out before long....

and if you can figure out any half arse combination of words to put in google you can come up with how to do the ISP stuff.....most wont bother but then ive seen some of the most paranoid idiots on the fire refuse to basic security chit cause learning it "takes to much time"....

and rattler aint my name on here cause i hate my name, its that on here cause at the time i signed up on here its the name i was using in a couple different chat rooms and forums and to make chit simple i kept it all the same.....beat explaining that my dad was a Civil War buff everytime someone new saw the name Sheridan just like happens most the time when i meet someone new in person.....given i was mostly on reptile sites at the time "rattler" needed no explanation....

dont hate my name, hell having a unique one means ive never had a hiccup in any background check ive had to go through be it a 4473 or state liquor and gambling licences or anything else...as far as i know im the only "Sheridan Shumway" in the country especially given my last name aint that common either.....

and you are grasping at straws trying to needle me with your comment above cause your a prick......that much is obvious to anyone that reads many of your posts....
Also, perhaps this is parsing but I hate it when somebody misunderstands or misquotes me. I didn't say people had been trained not to give out names and info. I said that should be understood as a first measure of security by about anybody who has been on the net very long because it was hammered home over and over and over again. Sadly though, people are not "trained" to do so. Very much the opposite.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ken -

Your football "story" brings back memories. The year before I started HS, the HS team tied for state champion in their division with only 12 players on the team. I'm not sure which 2 players didn't play both offense and defense. Every darn one of those guys spent the whole summer in the woods settin' chokers. Football was a vacation.

I knew a couple of them pretty well. ROUGH people. I would not leave my wallet or girlfriend (or a beer) unattended, but if my life was on the line, those are the first people I'd call.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Is "Location" where you reside, where you have resided or where you are from, i.e., born and raised? My "Location" is where I reside, where I have homes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My folks were ready for Catherine, but I came along two months ahead of schedule with the wrong accoutrements.

In the ensuing scramble, my mother wanted to name me "Conrad," after the reigning heart-throb movie idol Conrad Nagel. Dad despised that name but knew that opposing it would turn it into granite.

"Good shot!" he said. "Name 'im 'Conrad' for your favorite movie star and 'Hoot' for my favorite movie star.� We can call 'im 'Hoot' for short."

They found "Kenneth" in the back of the dictionary.

I don't think that I'd mind bein' Hoot, but I'm sure glad that I'm not Conrad.

cowboy star Hoot Gibson

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Northwestern Ontario means an area roughly the size of Texas, Oklahoma, and maybe Alaska tossed together. Narrows it right down, don't it? laugh
Yeah but when I looked it up, it said, "Pop. 3". That's you and your wife and your pet Moose.

lolol

You know I love you brother.

Wasn't that a Jerry Clower bit?

Don't forget my Jack Russell Terrier called Bullet. He'll whoop yer butt if you forget him. Tough little character -- the dog. Here's what happened to the last moose that walked through our yard. Inside of a couple days, this is all that was left. wink

[Linked Image]

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by curdog4570
A question we Texans are advised never to ask.... [if he's from Texas he'll tell you, if he ain't, don't embarrass him]

With that said, I find it curious that quite a few members don't reveal a general location next to their screen name.

Are they just more important than the rest of us, you think?

North Texas. Yeah that narrows it down -- Really sticking your neck out there... whistle

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shreck
Northwestern Ontario means an area roughly the size of Texas, Oklahoma, and maybe Alaska tossed together. Narrows it right down, don't it? laugh
Yeah but when I looked it up, it said, "Pop. 3". That's you and your wife and your pet Moose.

lolol

You know I love you brother.

Wasn't that a Jerry Clower bit?

Don't forget my Jack Russell Terrier called Bullet. He'll whoop yer butt if you forget him. Tough little character -- the dog. Here's what happened to the last moose that walked through our yard. Inside of a couple days, this is all that was left. wink

[Linked Image]
lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use littoral because it's where I spend the most of my time.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shreck
I use littoral because it's where I spend the most of my time.
I thought it was because it was really where you were from...you know, like "littorally" from North Carolina. yukyukyuk

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Is "Location" where you reside, where you have resided or where you are from, i.e., born and raised? My "Location" is where I reside, where I have homes.

I didn't start the thread to solicit personal information from folks.

Maybe I'm the only member who - upon reading a particularly idiotic post - immediately wonders what part of the country produced such an idiot. A glance to my left usually provides an answer. grin

But.......... lots of smart folks don't list a general location next to their name.

And lots do. SteveNO and isaac come to mind.

I'm just curious as to the reasons for omitting it.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,738 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,420
Posts18,528,324
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.