Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by safariman
Description is accurate, and photos are many so all sales final.

Honest question, Mark. Given all of the information that has come out in this thread, would you have refunded a buyer who agreed to the purchase based on what you said and subsequently found out otherwise?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He clearly states that:
I am NO expert on pre 64's

The phrase caveat emptor arises from the fact that buyers often have less information about the good or service they are purchasing, while the seller has more information. Defects in the good or service may be hidden from the buyer, and only known to the seller. Thus, the buyer should beware. This is called information asymmetry.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mark clearly said a lot of things in that post. Some were accurate and others were not, so I'm asking how he would have handled the situation I described for my own future knowledge. As you said, caveat emptor.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't buy ANY firearm sight unseen ( pix don't count. Especially crappy ones) without a three day inspection.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mark, can't tell by the pics but it looks like a solid bolt knob, is this the case or does it have a hollow knob?

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The recoil pad is a 325 Pachmayer and not well done.

Last edited by coyote268; 01/24/14.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ddurst
How much you asking now, or is price the same?

Since the concensus is that the pad is not original, I am willing to negotiate downward on the price. I have not come up with a firm price yet, quite open to offers.

I may have commited a little too much to this rifle, not knowing enough about them, but am hoping to recoup at least the bulk of the investment.

Feel free to hit me with what you would consider a fair amount for this rifle. Stock aside, the metal is all in outstanding condition.

Last edited by safariman; 01/24/14.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
Mark clearly said a lot of things in that post. Some were accurate and others were not, so I'm asking how he would have handled the situation I described for my own future knowledge. As you said, caveat emptor.

I am NO expert on pre 64's

Often used as an easy out.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by safariman
Stock aside, the metal is all in outstanding condition.

The floorplate appears scratched with some possible bluing wear, and the front action screw looks partially stripped.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do screws count when describing outstanding condition? Floorplates? Didn't realize that.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After some reading BSA is spot on that stock is a 59 or newer. The recoil pad could be factory Winchester in 1959 switched to that style they were made by pachmyr and stamped Winchester. Also in 1959 Winchester changed their process for finishing stocks they appear to have a lacquer finish. BSA was spot on the checkering another indicator it was made after 1959 Winchester did not get the stock checkering machine online until mid 1960. When they did it resulted in reduction in pattern cover. So again I'm no expert but it looks like this rifle has newer pre 64 stock on it.

Last edited by 79S; 01/24/14.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many of these early FWT's had a solid knob not the later hollowed out knob.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Could be interested in the rifle but would like to know if the bolt knob is hollow, can't tell by the pictures. Also, does the magazine box have a spacer in it for short cartridges and does the action have the bolt stop for short cartridges?

Last edited by nathanial; 01/24/14.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nathanial
Could be interested in the rifle but would like to know if the bolt knob is hollow, can't tell by the pictures. Also, does the magazine box have a spacer in it for short cartridges and does the action have the bolt stop for short cartridges?

Million dollar question it appears to be solid.. A sn would help.

Last edited by 79S; 01/24/14.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Milwroad
Many of these early FWT's had a solid knob not the later hollowed out knob.

True enough, but from what I see by the stock it should be a later rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That would be nice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by nathanial

Million dollar question it appears to be solid.. A sn would help.

Some of the very earliest Featherweights had solid knob.

A serial number would clear that up. (Along with a picture of the bolt showing electro pencilled matching serial number.)

The earlier stocks would have had the wrap over top metal (Aluminum) butt pad, not the one shown.

August '53 Featherweight Serial Number 266644

[Linked Image]

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sakoluvr,

When assessing the condition of a pre-'64 Winchester, yes, the condition of the screws and floorplate and everything else do count. In fact they even count when buying a rifle without the Model 70's reputation.

So far this one looks like a shooter grade, but even then overall condition counts.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mark, don't it piss you off when the original owner told you all those lies about this rifle.. I would almost want to have a chat with him if I had been in your shoes.

Your description sucks, not revealing serial number range, not comparing the LOP with the other model 70 you have for sale just for information purposes as well to explain if the stock has been chopped, and posting pics that look worse than Mathew Brady's work from the Civil War..

Much could be cleared up by using fewer words and better pics.

The excuse about not knowing much about Model 70's just don't wash as you know the information to omit too well.

As Gen George Patton said, I read your book!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Sakoluvr,

When assessing the condition of a pre-'64 Winchester, yes, the condition of the screws and floorplate and everything else do count. In fact they even count when buying a rifle without the Model 70's reputation.

So far this one looks like a shooter grade, but even then overall condition counts.

I was just being a smart ass. whistle

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (41rem, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 22 invisible), 2,026 guests, and 1,007 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,706
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.