Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My winter project. There's no way that I could find a pattern like this so I invented it as I went. This might be a bit heavier than you'd want for backpacking but I use llamas and it should work great for that. The tent itself weights 5.5lb. With the poles, etc., it's 8 lb. It's 10x10, made of 1.3 oz silnylon. It's 7.5' high with 2' sidewalls. I made it tall for a steep slope for runnoff.

I made it with all the poles and wall poles on the outside for ease of set up and to make it easier to cut poles if I'm camping where there are enough trees.

For backpacking, you'd want lighter poles. I got these from REI for $40 each. They make a shorter version, too, that's lighter and packs shorter. Those have a max height of 79" and I wanted it a little higher. These will go up to over 8'. These were supposed to be 4 section and fold to 22" but they turned out to be 3 section and fold to 29". They'll still work in my panniers, though.

I made a catenary roof with a 4" drop in the center. As a result, I have wrinkles on the top that I haven't yet been able to adjust out. I'll keep working on that. Someone with more experience than me could probably have made it so it was smooth all over.

The side poles are made of aluminum tent pole sections cut to 24". They have tips made for grommets. I used NiteIze tensioners and reflective rope on the sides. It looks bright white in these photos because the flash fired for some of them. That really lights them up.

I'm not completely done yet. I still have to seal the seams and add a few stake loops at the bottom. I need to make a carrying bag, too. I'm sure I'll be making some refinements as I go along.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have these 12x20" screened vents in both ends. I used 1/8" nylon rod for bows and 3/32 shock cord to keep them from flipping up in the wind.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I put in a screen door and a rear window for ventilation in addition to the roof vents.
[Linked Image]

[img]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/rockchuck/tent/tentwindowLR.jpg[/img]

I don't have a stove yet but I installed a jack. It's MUCH easier to install before the tent is assembled. I'll cut the hole when I get a stove. I placed it 4' from the front so it's pretty much centered yet leaves lots of room behind it. The cord running the length of the tent is a clothesline. It's anchored to the poles by velcro straps on the outside.
[img]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/rockchuck/tent/tentinsidefrontLR.jpg[/img]

I put in 2 shock cord loops for gun holders. They're anchored to the pole outside. I got that idea from Snubbie.
[img]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/rockchuck/tent/tentgunLR.jpg[/img]

Headroom? Oh, yes indeed.
[img]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/rockchuck/tent/tentheadroomLR.jpg[/img]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Freaking nice.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My winter project. There's no way that I could find a pattern like this so I invented it as I went. This might be a bit heavier than you'd want for backpacking but I use llamas and it should work great for that. The tent itself weights 5.5lb. With the poles, etc., it's 8 lb. It's 10x10, made of 1.3 oz silnylon. It's 7.5' high with 2' sidewalls. I made it tall for a steep slope for runnoff.

I made it with all the poles and wall poles on the outside for ease of set up and to make it easier to cut poles if I'm camping where there are enough trees.

For backpacking, you'd want lighter poles. I got these from REI for $40 each. They make a shorter version, too, that's lighter and packs shorter. Those have a max height of 79" and I wanted it a little higher. These will go up to over 8'. These were supposed to be 4 section and fold to 22" but they turned out to be 3 section and fold to 29". They'll still work in my panniers, though.

I made a catenary roof with a 4" drop in the center. As a result, I have wrinkles on the top that I haven't yet been able to adjust out. I'll keep working on that. Someone with more experience than me could probably have made it so it was smooth all over.

The side poles are made of aluminum tent pole sections cut to 24". They have tips made for grommets. I used NiteIze tensioners and reflective rope on the sides. It looks bright white in these photos because the flash fired for some of them. That really lights them up.

I'm not completely done yet. I still have to seal the seams and add a few stake loops at the bottom. I need to make a carrying bag, too. I'm sure I'll be making some refinements as I go along.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have these 12x20" screened vents in both ends. I used 1/8" nylon rod for bows and 3/32 shock cord to keep them from flipping up in the wind.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I put in a screen door and a rear window for ventilation in addition to the roof vents.
[Linked Image]

[img]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/rockchuck/tent/tentwindowLR.jpg[/img]

I don't have a stove yet but I installed a jack. It's MUCH easier to install before the tent is assembled. I'll cut the hole when I get a stove. I placed it 4' from the front so it's pretty much centered yet leaves lots of room behind it. The cord running the length of the tent is a clothesline. It's anchored to the poles by velcro straps on the outside.
[img]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/rockchuck/tent/tentinsidefrontLR.jpg[/img]

I put in 2 shock cord loops for gun holders. They're anchored to the pole outside. I got that idea from Snubbie.
[img]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/rockchuck/tent/tentgunLR.jpg[/img]

Headroom? Oh, yes indeed.
[img]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/rockchuck/tent/tentheadroomLR.jpg[/img]

I am very impressed with that tent..

GREAT JOB.

I'd buy one.

Very impressive.

I don't PLAY! I quit school because of recess...
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Very nice!

Ed T

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Nicely done- pretty impressive!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Looks good! You'll want some of the 9" military stakes for the main ridge line ropes to get enough tension in looser mountain soils.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Impressive!!! PM Sent

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by thumper338
Looks good! You'll want some of the 9" military stakes for the main ridge line ropes to get enough tension in looser mountain soils.
I'd thought about that. To set it up in the yard, I used 9" plastic. I broke 2 of them because they're brittle in the cold. For the sides, I got some of these MSR Groundhog stakes. They're alum alloy and seem like they're really tough. They can take a beating.

Since it was only $6, I thought I'd try one of these lightweight plastic tent peg mallets. The reviews are pretty good on them. I'm impressed. They don't seem like they'd pound in anything but the handle has a bit of a whipping action that gives a lot more force than the weight would dictate. It actually does a pretty good job and is worth the money if you don't already have a hatchet in the pack. The question is how long will the head hold up to these metal stakes.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow, color me impressed!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
very nice!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well done sir!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Well done sir!!!

Yes!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Like that tent!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Nice work!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's pretty darn nice. Well done!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All that space for the weight�very impressive.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I looked at this earlier on the way home from FL on my iPhone. Looks even better on a big screen! Wow! is all I know to say. That looks better than I anticipated and at the same time it looks exactly like you described it. Way to go RC, I hope to get to see it in person sometime!
It will darn sure be easier getting out of that thing in the middle of the night to pee. Heck, I'd take a pee bottle in there with me. You could put your llamas in there!

I'm impressed. The world's first Sil/Nylon wall tent.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Way to go! Be careful with too many pics or you will be sewing your fingers off like that "frog fellow" pounding out bottle cap openers!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looking again. I don't see a lot of issue with the wrinkles. I suspect a few loops on the side walls to allow other guy-outs to be tied on and maybe a Velcro loop to hook to the sidewall poles could be used to add a little tension to pull out the side wrinkles but I really see no issues with them.
You could maybe sew on a small loop between the corner pole and the center pole (4 total) to add a guy to pull out the roof wrinkles but I believe that may add side wall wrinkles and again, I'm not sure that is even a concern.
And you may be able to dink around with it with tension adjustment as is and work them out.

Overall, I'm just overly impressed. You really thought it all out about to the inth degree. Had any wind on it yet? grin

Seriously, the biggest "problem" I see you'll have is finding a large enough flat spot to pitch it and realistically, where we've hunted out there the last two years it wouldn't even be an issue. Having been well acquainted with the luxury of llama packing, even still, that thing is backpackable if divided between two people.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,127 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,771
Posts18,495,708
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.