Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Quick hi-jack - You guys wear a watch while hunting? I thought one of the main benefits to going hunting was being able to get away from worrying about what time it is?

I always start my stop watch after I shoot to force myself to wait before I go looking. Plus I sometimes wonder what time it is.

Quando omni flunkus moritati

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About 18 years ago, I bought an analog Swiss Army watch at a Big 5 Sporting Goods store in Los Angeles. I've worn it ever since for every outdoor activity imaginable, including chopping and splitting firewood, and shooting heavy caliber handguns and rifles at the range.

I've had to put three plastic wrist bands on it, and have had to change the battery about every four years. It keeps perfect time. Plus with the white numerals and black face which acts as a mirror in the sun, I can signal an airplane for help if I'm lost far out in the wilderness. wink

Oh, almost forgot. It cost $49.95 on sale. Guess I'll keep it. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by FreeMe
You don't find a watch useful in the wild?

I generally don't care what time it is while I'm hunting. When it gets light, I go hunting. When I get hungry, I eat. When it gets too dark to shoot, I go in.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
G-Shock.

This.

*Master of random precision*
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
To a point I do too, but I've run into more than one situation where it would be helpful. I've had game wardens sit and watch/listen for the end of shooting time. You better be pretty close even though you could still see to shoot. It would be nice to see what time it is when I wake up in the cabin/tent at night without having to shine flashlights. If I'm meeting someone at a designated time, I need to know what time it is. There are a lot of times a watch would be nice when I don't want to have my phone on me.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
To a point I do too, but I've run into more than one situation where it would be helpful. I've had game wardens sit and watch/listen for the end of shooting time. You better be pretty close even though you could still see to shoot. It would be nice to see what time it is when I wake up in the cabin/tent at night without having to shine flashlights. If I'm meeting someone at a designated time, I need to know what time it is. There are a lot of times a watch would be nice when I don't want to have my phone on me.

All good reasons.

I just find that if I'm wearing a watch, it gets looked at, and fills my mind with "people problems". If I have my phone turned off and in my pack, it's still there for a clock if needed. I find it easier to lose myself in the hunt when my clock is the sun, the dinner bell my grumbling belly, the song of the birds my music.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only time I've needed a watch while hunting is for legal hours waterfowl shooting. Even without one it's not that hard, you just hold off until everyone starts.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
All those are good points. I guess it just depends on how/what/where you hunt.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

GWS H3 G10 Pro Diver

[Linked Image]

Link

I have been using one for the past few years and cannot fault it, the ability to read time in the dark, non-scratch crystal, and good water resistance has been useful.
I coupled it with a black metal band and as a package it does not look like something that is worth killing (or being killed) over...a serious consideration when driving a bus at night.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only watch I've have not been able to break is a Casio G-Shock.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
G-Shock.

I agree with TaK so I'm clearly wrong!
smile

For "real" work, take the watch off and put it in your pocket.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I find it easier to lose myself in the hunt when my clock is the sun, the dinner bell my grumbling belly, the song of the birds my music.

You are a damn poet, Sir!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Timex....again

.....civilize 'em with a Krag
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Huh. The only Timex I owned was an 'Ironman".

Worst. Watch. Ever.

It lasted about 2 weeks. I'll never buy a Timex again.

YMMV.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by ironbender
Huh. The only Timex I owned was an 'Ironman".

Worst. Watch. Ever.

YMMV.

I've had the same Timex Ironman watch since 1991 when I went to boot-camp. That was about 8 bands ago. Go figure.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Timex.... $30.... Can't break them.... If you do, you're out chump change... Go get another!

You'll shoot your eye out
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by Deepsouth
Just go to Wal-Mart and get you a Timex expedition for hunting. It's water proof, tough as nails, will last a long time, mines on its third band, and it's cheap enough that you'll have most of that $500 left to buy you a watch for work.

BTW, it keeps good time.

+1.

Only, get it from Target: No one wants to go to WalMart if they don't have to. wink

Heck with either of them..... I say G-Shock also or http://www.amazon.com/Casio-PAS410B-5V-Pathfinder-Phase-Hunting/dp/B00134OK08
accompanied with http://www.amazon.com/Chums-The-Ban...sr=8-1&keywords=the+band+watchbandFC

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[/quote]
Originally Posted by iddave
[quote=ironbender]Huh. The only Timex I owned was an 'Ironman".

Worst. Watch. Ever.

YMMV.

I've had the same Timex Ironman watch since 1991 when I went to boot-camp. That was about 8 bands ago. Go figure.

Dave

I got it because I expected it to be tough.

I've never been disappointed by a Casio though.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Another vote for G-Shock.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Quick hi-jack - You guys wear a watch while hunting? I thought one of the main benefits to going hunting was being able to get away from worrying about what time it is?

Arizona regulations state that legal shooting times for big game is 1/2 hour before sunrise until 1/2 hour after sunset. Last elk season I shot my elk with 8 min of legal light left. Time matters when hunting!

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (160user, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 30 invisible), 1,662 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,280
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.