Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
We'll the only synthetic bag I have found to be true to temp is wiggys. Probably why they are heavier and bulkier. North face dark star line is very warm, but heavier than your truck. I don't believe lighter weight and warm go together with synthetic bags. Down is the warmest thing going, but I had a real bad experience with down on a glacier. Can't wait to see how the new fake down bags and coated down bags work.....

Last edited by sollybug; 01/23/14. Reason: Spell
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one Montbell synthetic 40� bag and had another one but sold it after getting an EE Quilt.

The Montbells are the best affordable bags I've seen. They pack small, they're comfortable, and they are close to true on temp rating. That's saying something because I am a very cold sleeper.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by sollybug
North face dark star line is very warm, but heavier than your truck.

I got a DS for my wife as she is a cold sleeper. I figure the weight is worth it if it keeps one warm enough to get a good night's sleep. Not as warm for her as she expected. I used it one night above 0* and was cold. I sold it.

Sleeping bag temp ratings are a guideline at best as there are so many variables for individuals using the bag. I don't think there is any kind of standard for determining temp ratings?

I've read that there are 'comfort' ratings and 'survival' ratings. Mfgs have a need to make their product look it's best.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've got a Darkstar that is around 10 years old. Right after I got mine they made them a tick bigger and a lot heavier. I think mines around 5.5 lbs. I can get it to zero no problem.

The new Center Zip Slicks look interesting. I'm sure I'll get a chance to try one here in a couple of weeks.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
My experience with Wiggy's bags started in the early 90's. I had a climbing and kayak shop and contracts w/ several govt. agencies. I sold and rented Wiggy's bags to my profit and great customer satisfaction. We washed the bags after every rental in a home machine and air dried them. We rented the bags for a year and sold them at my original cost. Customers got on a waiting list to buy those bags. No other bag I have seen would survive the abuse these did. Huge YKK zippers, xl wide bodied bags, incredible ability to function in very prolonged wet conditions, they are in a class by themselves. Get their compression stuff sac and you will be happy for years. I have a zero* bag that I got in 1992 and took elk hunting this year and it performed perfectly.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My store is proof that Wiggy's is still the best sleeping bag on the market. Going on 9 years, this June.

Thanks to all my great customers, past and future.

Want a lighter-weight Wiggy bag? Try the Mountain Hunter, at 25-degrees, or a Glacier Hunter, at 15. Both are solid performers, proven in the mountain ranges of Alaska.

Thanks again.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

221 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 2ndwind, 4214chip, 34 invisible), 2,976 guests, and 989 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,641
Posts18,533,623
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.