Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,287 of 1,842 1 2 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1841 1842
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Very interesting indeed. I passed it on to my buddy up in Rice Lake.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
BM, thanks for sharing the story.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It sure is interesting. It is a different viewpoint from what the media portrayed. Which one is closer to the truth, we will probably never know for sure.

Grizzly Bill made a good point. a couple years prior to this event, a WI hunter was shot in the back and a white Toyota was seen leaving the scene. Vang had a white Toyota at that time and was in WI, but couldnt be placed near the scene of the crime. Circumstantial for sure, but quite the koinkydink at the same time.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I posted this in the PM thread too but thought I would share it here as well because this shooting bothered me then and still does when I think about it.

I don't know why this one sticks in my craw so bad. It literally makes me feel ill when I think about it. We hear of shootings and murders everyday but this one, this one is just different for some reason.

I don't know if its because it involved our beloved sport of deer hunting or if there was just pure evil tied to it but it stands out as one that bothers me to the core.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

G
G
I'd like to hear it also, I was only a few miles away at the time thanks

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Please include me on the list
Thanks
Phil

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Thanks for the story, sad that it would go to the point that someone had to lose they life.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I always figured there was more to it than made the news. If it isn't too much trouble I would like to read it too.

You do not have to have had a psychotic episode to work here, it just saves time!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I feel like the odd-man-out, but I have zero interest in that whole story/tragedy.

A few things have changed about my mindset/thought process while hunting because of it, and not in ways that make me happy.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I understand. Ltest talk about hot rods!

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Here is a 1955 Ford F-100. I have a 1955 Ford f-100 but it doesn't look like this.... yet. In my brain I want it to so I looked up some pics. This is very similar to what I want.

So far it has a 351w/c-6 auto trans and no interior due to a flood so I pulled it out. I'm putting on a drop axle to lower the front 3-4" and new springs in the rear to do make it sit level. I don't like a big hot rod rake, or not much of one anyway.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
This is also what I'd like the exhaust to do. Out the back in roll pan instead of a truck bumper. I'd like to find some stainless steel or brushed aluminum "cut outs" that would go around the exhaust tips through the roll pan.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by tzone; 01/25/14.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh hell yeah. That would be awesome for throwing buckzilla in the back and driving in to a big-buck contest in town.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
well unless I run over buckzilla in September, there will be no deer in the back of that truck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I butchered the last deer of the year today. shot it 2 weeks ago, temps were perfect to let it age, super tender and the backstraps are cooking in the crockpot right now. yum yum!

oddly enough I never got into the hotrod or sporty car game. most of the time I have no idea what engine is in the vehicle I drive or own for that matter. to me they are a tool to move things from point A to point B. nothing against those who like it, I just never got into it. restoring a vehicle I can kinda see, I don't have the knack to do it. small engines I can fix like nobodies business, but cars never did it for me. kinda wish they had, I always feel like the odd man out when it comes to talking cars with guys.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well I'll tell ya what. I like the restoring part a lot more than I like the engine work. I know enough about both to get me in trouble but I like the welding and shaping of the metal more than getting it to move.

I can fix basic things on an engine and do routine maintenance, but after that I have to refer to someone else.

The 1978 Ford f150 4x4 I'm working on has taught me a lot about body work. My dad has been a great teacher in the regard. He's there if I get stuck but for the most part, turned me loose on it.

That '55 really won't have much custom body work or rust to fix for that matter. The roll pan would be the biggest custom work. It will be getting power disc break on the front for sure, and possible the back.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
There will be another 1970's Ford truck after this one is finished. It's kind of a wish since I was a kid to have the ultimate hunting rig with one of those trucks. Truthfully, today's trucks are probably better suited for it. Fuel injection, better suspension, breaks, heat, air, but they don't have the cool factor I'm looking for.

RWS' 77 High Boy sure does though. I love that truck!

The 2001 Super Duty I got rid of last spring was close as well.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I hung up my tools when points disappeared.

Rooster, what are you sending my way? I see MN and the Dakotas are under a blizzard warning.

Roads have been bad around here since last Wednesday. Black ice has been a big issue. Low temps, high winds and fluffy snow have just polished the roads.

We were going to meet up with my brother and sister Friday night, but turned around just a couple of miles down the road due to the wind driven snow. When semis are only doing 40 mph you know it's bad.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill

Rooster, what are you sending my way? I see MN and the Dakotas are under a blizzard warning.

So far so good BUT:

Snow totals from last night into this morning are adding up to about 5 inches in some spots. As we go through the morning, the developing windy conditions will start picking up this fresh snow and blowing it around to create yet another GROUND BLIZZARD. Blizzard conditions will first impact the north and west, then spreading southeastward through the morning hours. We could see wind gusts above 50 mph at times, especially this afternoon. With several inches of fresh snow to work with, travel will be hazardous, if not impossible. Please rethink any plans you may have for Sunday. If you must travel, make sure your cell phone is fully charged, you have a survival kit with you, and let someone know your route and estimated travel time. The wind will likely not diminish until late tonight into early Monday. Getting stuck out this weather will prove extremely dangerous, as temperatures drop throughout the day and wind chills reach -50. Better stay home and stay safe. Subzero conditions will be here to stay first half of the week

Lovely...

I say that not because of the so called "blizzard" but for the cold that is to follow. That is getting old. Just like the saying "nothing good ever happens after midnight". Nothing works right below -20* F

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wish that I had the skills to do bodywork. I can see how to do it but not the patients.

I do enjoy working with metal but I prefer 1/8" or thicker.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Page 1,287 of 1,842 1 2 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,273 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,753
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.