Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Also keep in mind that the same technician, using the same equipment, drawing cartridges from the same lot of ammunition, with the same test rifle, on the same day can easily produce 10 shot averages that differ by 1,000 PSI. It gets worse as you move from lab to lab.

Last edited by denton; 01/24/14.

Be not weary in well doing.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I imagine if there is a lab in Denver, technician's results could vary even more...:)

Defend the Constitution
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I have noticed that, at times, Nosler data can be , ah, optimistic.

Not trying to be "smart", but based on what empirical data do you suggest that? Is it assumed: a) That they don't know what they're doing?, or b) They're pushing things beyond SAAMI psi?, or c) They're guessing?, or d) Their equipment is broken?, or e) Their bullets go faster at the same psi?, or d) Your experience doesn't match theirs in MV?

Just like to know what you're thinking.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'm with Vic on this one. No offense to Mule Deer. His post is, as usual, excellent and makes sense. However, when I look in the Nosler manual, the velocities just seem high.I find the 270 WSM data to be particularly optimistic.

FWIW, I have found the Lyman data listed on Loaddata.com to typically be pretty close to what I see on my chronograph.

405wcf

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nosler uses wiseman barrels for most of their data testing, tight bores with minimum spec chambers give higher pressure with higher velocity. I've used their data in factory rifles and get 100 to 150 feet slower than nosler book says. Also seen those same loads used in a tight bore and tight chamber in a custom barrel and they pretty much matched what nosler book says.

Last edited by bushrat; 01/24/14.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bushrat
Nosler uses wiseman barrels for most of their data testing, tight bores with minimum spec chambers give higher pressure with higher velocity. I've used their data in factory rifles and get 100 to 150 feet slower than nosler book says. Also seen those same loads used in a tight bore and tight chamber in a custom barrel and they pretty much matched what nosler book says.

Bushrat nails it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yep, and thanks JB for the excellent information.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks JB. Your post cleared some things up for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CZ550

Not trying to be "smart", but based on what empirical data do you suggest that? Is it assumed: a) That they don't know what they're doing?, or b) They're pushing things beyond SAAMI psi?, or c) They're guessing?, or d) Their equipment is broken?, or e) Their bullets go faster at the same psi?, or d) Your experience doesn't match theirs in MV?

Just like to know what you're thinking.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Sure thing.

I'll take (D). I have complete confidence in Nosler as a manufacturer, but "D" is the standout.

I have noticed, in .243, that a couple of loads had velocity listed with the 75 grain bullets and IMR4895 that I was never able to duplicate, not even come close. About 200 fps difference.

I noticed in a couple of instances in other cartridges that velocity fell short IN MY RIFLE. I thought nothing of it figuring well, it's my rifle.

It's when I heard others stating the same thing that I thought that there may be something to it. I was able to get within a reasonable difference between their manual and my results with a .223 load and IMR4198/50 grain bullet, accounting for the difference in barrel length.

I have nothing against their bullets and am revisiting the .243 after a number of years without one. One of the bullets I want to try is the 95 grain Partition. I will look at their suggestions for this bullet and see how it works out. If their bullets show a tendency to land fairly close to one another, field testing will begin in November. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Bushrat nails it.

And I suspected that the explanation would be something as simple as this.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Bushrat nails it.

And I suspected that the explanation would be something as simple as this.

My experiences have been the same as above, 100-150 fps differences between my custom chambered rifles and factory rifles of same caliber with the vels of the customs being more in line with Noslers data.

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I'm a little late to say this as I just saw Mule Deer's post, but WOW!!

Well said! Should be required reading/sticky!

Russ

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 300_savage
Reading Mule Deer's posts was like getting a full article without even buying a magazine. A real treat - Thanks for taking the time! Time to hit the local grocery store's magazine section and see what else I can get for some weekend reading.

Agree. Thanks MD.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Glad so many people liked it, but that "post" originally appeared here on the Campfire as one of my monthly columns when I was writing them for Rick. We have talked about getting the column started up again, but I have to find an opening in my schedule, which is pretty full for the next several months.

It also appeared as a chapter in my book RIFLE TROUBLESHOOTING AND HANDLOADING, and in the Berger handloading manual, so it's been around for a while.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
thank you for sharing what you've learned and experienced. looking forward to the resumption of your columns here on the 'fire

vires,fortitudo,vigilantia
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you liked his post, you'll love RIFLE TROUBLESHOOTING AND HANDLOADING. I bought it for myself as a Christmas present and was never happier with a technical book. It's like getting a master's degree in rifles and shooting.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Glad so many people liked it, but that "post" originally appeared here on the Campfire as one of my monthly columns when I was writing them for Rick. We have talked about getting the column started up again, but I have to find an opening in my schedule, which is pretty full for the next several months.

It also appeared as a chapter in my book RIFLE TROUBLESHOOTING AND HANDLOADING, and in the Berger handloading manual, so it's been around for a while.

I got your book "RIFLE TROUBLESHOOTING AND HANDLOADING" about 6 months ago and just haven't had the time to read it (yet). I had total knee replacement surgery last week and once the misery factor subsides, I'll have the time to read it as I recover.

Last edited by djs; 01/26/14.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Thanks, MD.

All of us who read 24HC are in your debt.

Roger

NRA Life

CRPA Life
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by johnw
In Loading manuals???

For instance... w/IMR 4350 in the .300 H&H
Nosler shows loads for their 165 bullets that start at 63 gr and max at 67.
Hornady's 165s list a starting load at 56.6 gr and their max is 64 gr.
A one grain difference between one manufacturer's max and the next one's start load seems odd to me.

If that isn't bad enough we can look at h4831, and Hornady's max is 3.8 gr below Nosler's start!!!

I comprehend differences in bullet construction and bearing surface area, but this looks absurd on the surface. Is there a better way to look at this stuff?

That's why I rely on Lyman's manuals and Ken Water's "Pet Loads" as my first point of reference. Lyman's manuals have always been the standard and they have the most experience of anyone in the loading business. They also pressure test every load.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Bushrat nails it.

OK, but shouldn't a given pressure yield approx the same velocity no matter what rifle?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

393 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,647
Posts18,512,544
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.