Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
ASK HIM WHAT TOOK HIM SO LONG FOR HIM TO DO IT AND TELL HIM TO DO A BETTER JOB NEXT TIME.
HELL HAVE HIM OVER FOR LUNCH OR DINNER AND A FEW TODDIES.YOU BOTH WILL BE WINNERS.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shovel snow off the widow's sidewalk across the street just for the exercise. Come the end of July, she brings me a bucket of fresh raspberries. I think that's a pretty fair trade.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by acooper1983
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I would be a little insulted if you offered to pay me, a thank you would be much more appreciated.

pfft wtf do you know about snow texan :-D
I've been known to cut the old folks next door front lawn..... well have my yard guy do it, still counts. whistle

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone
I like it to look like someone's home if they're not.

We don't get a lot of snow here, but when we do, most folks are not knowledgeable about how to deal with it. The last snow we had, I went over to the newest neighbor's house and shoveled her walk from the driveway to the front door and a path to the mailbox. She's a widow in her early 70s living alone after moving from Texas a few months ago. I didn't do it with any desire to be paid or even be thanked. Neighbors are supposed to keep an eye out for their neighbors, at least that's how I was raised.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do my neighbor drive often,because it is a pain in the azz to start it up for the 5 minutes it takes to do mine,never burn through a tank of gas a year at that pace.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
same with me, if I have to get that thing out, bundle up and get out there, might as well knock out a few of the neighbors while I'm at it.

two of my neighbors are getting on up there in years.

I just hope some younger guy does mine when I can't get around.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
Your impulse is right. Do something nice for him.

Beer and thanks is all that is required...and remembering the favour when he could do with a hand.

Money is am insult if not solicited.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I think he was just being neighborly.

I would just respond with a gesture of appreciation, beer, whiskey, or whatever you think is appropriate.

It's a sobering reminder of just how socially phugg'd-up we have become, that this is a discussion on an internet forum.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Take him and his wife out for dinner. Who knows you may become best friends and enjoy a lot of good times you might have never had a chance to do.

Remember he went and did this out of the kindness of his heart, that right there says a lot about a man.

I do things like this for my neighbors all the time, I have great neighbors and right now they all know I'm laid up for the next 3 months, everyday my driveway is cleared of snow and the side walk is even shoveled. Kinda nice I don't have to worry about any of that stuff right now.

My neighbors wife even comes over to help me put my boots on when I want to go for a walk.

Life is good when you have good neighbors.

Glad to hear you've plenty of people watching out for you these days, Paul. smile

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ummmm, shared 3/4 of a bottle of Makers Mark, during the Michigan/Michigan State game. Turned into an AZZ-HOLE when the Wolverines won. Told him to GFY...

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My neighbor plows me out every now & then with a Kubota tractor - whenever there's a big storm. I send him a nice Thank You card with a gift certificate for a dinner at one of the local restaurants. He'll come over and say, "Aww, shucks. You didn't have to do that."

I'll say, "Neither did you, but you did, and we sure appreciated it."

I usually blow my own driveway out, but I know when a big storm hits Ken will be over with the tractor. He probably knows he'll get a nice card and a gift certificate in return. It works out real well.

Keep your friends close, and load more ammo.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Take him and his wife out for dinner. Who knows you may become best friends and enjoy a lot of good times you might have never had a chance to do.

Remember he went and did this out of the kindness of his heart, that right there says a lot about a man.

I do things like this for my neighbors all the time, I have great neighbors and right now they all know I'm laid up for the next 3 months, everyday my driveway is cleared of snow and the side walk is even shoveled. Kinda nice I don't have to worry about any of that stuff right now.

My neighbors wife even comes over to help me put my boots on when I want to go for a walk.

Life is good when you have good neighbors.

That is true! Glad you've got some good neighbors. Hope you mend fast.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by rem141r
ahh yes, the vicious favor returning cycle. he snowblows, you shovel his walk, he washes your car, you paint his shutters. next thing you know he's porking your wife. thank him and continue the friendly wave routine. break the cycle early before it gets ugly.

TFF!

I agree with above posters- no $ especially. That's an insult. Offered twice, after one refusal, I take it. FYVM. I figure their need exceeds mine... on occasion for a good deed,if warranted, I will offer money. Once.

I do chit like this cuz it makes me feel good. Entirely a selfish impulse.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by inland44
Ummmm, shared 3/4 of a bottle of Makers Mark, during the Michigan/Michigan State game. Turned into an AZZ-HOLE when the Wolverines won. Told him to GFY...

so it's a "next year, then" thing.... smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by inland44
Really? 3/4 of a bottle? I'm surprised either one of you can even remember who turned into the bigger azzhole-hope nobody lit a friggin' match around you. But then again, 3/4 of a bottle of hooch over in Sisconnie would just be a warm-up!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Probably a good thing he went home, around here GFY is practically an endearment.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Put up a no trespassing sign and ask him if he can read.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm sure he was just being nice. Don't overthink it. Thank him, and when the time comes for returning the favor you'll know.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Chill about it... I do stuff for my neighbors all the time and do not want or expect anything in return.... My neighbor 3 doors down has my wood splitter right now because he had a tree fall and then he cut it up... I stopped by asked i he wanted to use it... he did... That is what is being call neighborly...

I have a big garden and grow extra just to give to the neighbors... (most are retired and I am not) I do it because I like to and they love having fresh produce. I do not ask for return...

Some people like to do for others to be nice.... nothing wrong with a thank you or a hand shake in return..... (but then again the beer is nice too but I would not feel obligated)

Last edited by Sako; 01/26/14.

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Widow lady lives on the next 5-acres to mine. I've cut her grass a few times, that sort of thing. I'd go to war for her if needed. I'd likely get some of those walnut-chocolate chips cookies, too! Old women can cook.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 2,794 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,736
Posts18,495,014
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.