Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One can get an inkling of the broad range of choices from the list of manufacturers represented by this company.
http://www.pyramydair.com/airguns-by-brand

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Never had any trouble with break barrels and hunting. I have in the past added barrel band type slings, but usually with an air rifle I shoot it so often that a sling is not necessary anyway.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a Walther LGR that I love. More accurate than I'll ever be. Its an interesting read how they had to make the Olympic targets smaller when the LGR came on the scene. They can be had pretty cheap too.
[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'd suggest you get an idea of a rifle type that would suit your needs and search on youtube for a review.
Some very informative reviews there.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone use the .357 air rifle named IIRC the Rogue?

1B

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 280fan
I really enjoy my RWS 34. With 10.5 grain Crossman round nose pellets it will easily shoot through a tree squirrel at 100 feet. It sounds noisy to me but my wife tells me it is pretty quiet so I am probably hearing the piston noise through the stock.

Ditto. RWS 34 Diana. Check out Pyramid AIR. Some of the pellet guns are crazy expensive.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Here's a RWS34 .22cal in action. As you can see, it worked. Second Pic is a Beeman R-7 .177 - pretty light for critters this size but with head shots worked ok. But my favorite is the Beeman R-9 in .22cal shown above.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Yes, see what is out there. The one I recommended, I now discover is out of print.

HW, RWS, Walther, and perhaps others make top flight rifles. There may be dozens of good ones.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of the reasons to read Shotgun News is the air rifle info. The current slick cover edition has a great article that you should read.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I bought an RWS (model 47?) about 30 years ago. Great rifle for shooting out a back window into back yard in summer - quiet and accurate.

Here are some you might check out: http://www.airgundepot.com/rws-air-rifles.html

IC B3

BSA Supersport and Weihrauch HW95 and RWS/Diana are all good performers.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My wife bought a R7 for me as a retirement present a few years ago and I really like that gun. Very nice trigger and easy to scope. For practicing freehand I like to bounce a plastic golf ball (wiffle ball?) across the back yard. I have taken around ten rabbits with it but distance is somewhat limiting, IIRC, all head shots. The rabbits were taken at about 15 to twenty yards.

I bought a used Sheridan "rocker" Blue Streak that is significantly more powerful but is noisier as well. I have open sights on it.

I like the R7 and because of its size will be helpful when I introduce my grandkids into shooting sports. But, I would not mind having a R9 either.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RWS Dianas and Benji pump ups are very, very good. But another way to go is to treat the whole thing like a kid. It's an air rifle. Stroll into Wally World and be young again, very young.
50 or 60 bucks and you can hurry home with a plastic and painted alloy beauty that works, can shoot your eye out and will kill a rabbit. Heck, get two and give one away to a future Range Rider.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unless, I missed it I didn't see any recommendations for a nitro piston rifle. Are these not as accurate as a springer?

Jason

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Nitro piston rifles can be great, I'm shooting a Beeman Crow Magnum in .20 cal among other things.
With air rifles as with centerfire rifles you'll want to find balance, a light pellet shot from a powerful/fast rifle can reach supersonic speeds and become unstable and scatter shots.
Many of the current crop of air rifles are touting amazing speeds when the focus should be, great triggers,not being hold sensitive and repeatable accuracy with quality pellets.
My nitro is most repeatably accurate with only one pellet and it's a heavy. So I stock up on that pellet.
My springer an RWS 52 in .22 isn't as fast and is accurate with a wider assortment of pellets but both of these rifles require a careful "hold" to shoot their best.

Slide down the "Forum list" and check "Air Guns" too.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Straight Shooters is also a good airgun outlet. The Air Arms TX200 is an awesome gun will run you about $600 for the gun only.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
another vote for the rws 34..not fancy, but plenty efficient..we shoot pennys off a log across the backyard and have about a 75% success ratio

Last edited by elkivory; 01/27/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
colodog,

That's great info.

Thanks,

Jason

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1badf350, 257Bob, 2500HD, 1941USMC, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 56 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,902
Posts18,518,528
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.