Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Nunyacr Offline OP
OP Offline
N
After almost deciding on a savage LWH I ran into a LH rem 700 short action and bit the bullet on building an ultralight 260. So first, my topic search ability on these forums is limited, so if I am duplicating a thread please point me in the right direction.
1. I want the action skeletonized, bolt fluted, not worried at all about a tack driver, this is just a hunting rifle. I see Kampfleld custom mentioned a lot but his website makes it look like he is not accepting much work etc. I do not need museum quality work, this is literally an alternative to a tikka or savage lwh, is there someone else who anyone would reccomend or anyone who would like to do this work reasonably?
2. I am likely going to put a light contour , short (18") barrel on it for packability and weight reduction. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced pre-chambered barrel? Seems like most inquiries I make either it's one year out, or I wind up with a $350 barrel with no chamber and indeterminate guns tithing costs, etc. I'm not opposed to paying the money if that's what it costs, I just don't want to miss an obvious option that might make sense. Thank you in advance, Martin

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Slabbed action, fluting, ect.. Kampfeld will hook you up.

You could probably do a lot worse than a 21 or 22 inch SS Pac-nor.

I wouldn't do an 18" in the .260 rem.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't do 18 either.

I'm not sure what tithing costs these days....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd go with a light stock with ADL inlet and a mtn rifle contour at 21"-23". Skip the action work.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I would skip the action skeletonizing you wont gain much and from what I read your not into the fluff.......

barrel-thebarrelman.com get a shilen match or select match as cheap as any lapped barrel #2 if it was mine

edge stock from McMillan or a bell and Carlson if it fits you it will be cheaper and quicker than the McMillan

send it of to redneck here on the fire quick turn around and fair pricing

my cents worth

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Twisted barrel offers spiral and slabbing.

Can't say whether either saves enough weight to be much more than cosmetic

N
Nunyacr Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Aalf, tithing is similar to is similar to smithing, but its limited to 10%...
Seriously, though, a close friend shoots an 18.5" barrel and swears by it. With the right powder what's the difference, 100 fps? Seems you'd get a lot stiffer barrel for the weight....
How should I get ahold of redneck, pm?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PM works well for Redneck. Great smith. Might watch for a lefty Hi Tech/Bansner stock if you want a light one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pac-Nor Mtn Rifle Contour, Carl Bolt Fluting , Redneck Assembly, McMillan Edge....

whistle grin wink cool crazy shocked blush tired sleep

Wipe your mouth, there's still a tiny bit of bullshit around your lips.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree that you are waisting the capabilities of a 260 if you go 18 inches on the bbl length. You could be loosing up to 200 fps. Ballistics are what they are . I find it rather odd that guys want to shoot a caliber because of its capabilities and then the first thing they want to do is start [bleep] around with the planogram reducing those capabilities. Your goatphucking the build from the start. Your saying that you are going to go through all of the expense and trouble to put a build together but don't care about how accurate it is ? Really? trip the 700 and go back and get the savage its more up your alley.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Just screw a mountain tube on it at 22" and drop it in the lightest stock you can afford. If your forced to burn coin the bolt work is a nice touch. Other than that your patting yourself on the back.... JMO...

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by woofer
Just screw a mountain tube on it at 22" and drop it in the lightest stock you can afford. If your forced to burn coin the bolt work is a nice touch. Other than that your patting yourself on the back.... JMO...

W

Exactly. The action machining stuff comes out to three digits worth of cash per ounce. Makes much more sense monetarily to put that cash into a better, lighter stock or a better barrel.

It wouldn't be too tough to get a couple grand tied up in a project like this, which isn't far off from a used NULA that will shoot better and be just as light.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by woofer

W

And if you get some no-name smith to do the action paring, it matters not how good of a job he did, it is still a one-off piece of unknown quality to a prospective buyer down the road. If a pared down Remington 700 is something you've gotta have, order a Strata from Rifles Inc. Like others have stated, a faux Ti is the most bang for your buck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I went through a similar exercise with a .260 a couple of years back. I landed at 5lbs, 5.4oz with a 22" Krieger "0" contour. Karl milled the action with a G33/40-like cut and fluted/skeletonized the bolt/knob.

Stock was a Lone Wolf Summit II.

The best bang for my buck was the PT&G aluminum triggerguard which shaved something like 4 ounces for $25.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Below Model Seven went into an Rem Custom Shop Edge stock with 21" factory bbl in MR contour in 7/08. Gunsmith just informed me it weighs 5.5lbs. Don't have it here yet, so no pics.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

N
Nunyacr Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thank you all for your suggestions., I've got some more research to do. Incidentally, I obviously care about accuracy but MOA would be great. 1.5" would be fine, I just wanted to distinguish from an all-out accuracy driven build. I chose 260 bc I've been impressed with its performance, I admire the 6.5 as a hunting bullet, and it's lovely (low recoil) to shoot. I do not see how losing 200 fps changes any of those attributes.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It sounds like what you really want has already been made from the factory--an original 18.5 inch Model Seven in 260. Put a light stock on it and it will be somewhere around 5.5 pounds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go buy a kimber montana and be done with it.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
He's left handed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (7887mm08, 257 mag, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,545 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.