-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
By the way, it looks freaking COLD there in your yard with those trees all frosted up!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You really wouldn't want a llama in there. Their hygiene isn't quite what I like in a house guest. grin

I'm not going to worry much about the wrinkles. Sewing these big pieces straight isn't all that easy on a home machine and laying it out on the floor can be a trick, too. The wrinkles are all home made. I've had a tent factory operating in the middle of the living room and my Chuckette is getting a little tired of the furniture being shoved against the walls.

Yesterday was the 1st time I've had it set up and we haven't had any wind yet so I don't know what it will do. Next time we have wind in the forecast I'll set it up to find out. If it wobbles too much, I can easily add another tie out at each corner and put 2 on each pole. I'm thinking I should add some webbing at the corners for extra strength anyway. There's a lot of stress on the nylon at those points. 4 or 5 oz of extra stakes & ropes would be well worth the weight if needed.

The footprint is only 10 sq ft bigger than the SL5. That's less than 1 sleeping bag. It just looks a lot bigger because it goes straight up instead of sloping. It's a lot more usable space, though, with the sidewalls and extra shoulder room. You can put a sleeping bag almost against the wall without getting wet.

If you cut poles in the hills, the total wt could be less than 6 lb with stakes & ropes. 2 guys could handle that & it would be a piece of cake with 3.

It's very easy to set up. Stake out the 4 corners, erect the poles, and then it's just staking the sides & slipping in the side poles. 1 guy can do it in maybe 15 min in good conditions...2 hrs in a blizzard.

You should see the frost on the trees now. We've had 5 straight days of freezing fog, day and night. We had a couple hrs of clear weather when I took those pics but a couple hrs later it was all frosted up again. It's been hanging in the 20's all the time. The tent is still set up as I need to bring it in to finish the sewing. I'm waiting for it to dry. Maybe in March.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
About the wrinkles in the roof...to do the catenary roof, I just cut the topline of both sides into a slight curve and sewed them together. To do it professionally would take more shaping of the pieces. I'm not enough of an engineer to figure that out. Without the catenary, the top and sides would be just 2 long pieces sewed side to side, a single seam from ground to ground over the top. To cut the catenary to avoid wrinkles would entail a whole lot more cutting and fitting.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The footprint is only 10 sq ft bigger than the SL5. That's less than 1 sleeping bag. It just looks a lot bigger because it goes straight up instead of sloping. It's a lot more usable space, though, with the sidewalls and extra shoulder room. You can put a sleeping bag almost against the wall without getting wet.

That's a big deficiency with the tipi. The outer 1.5-2 feet is pretty much unusable space for anything other than small gear so the footprint dimensions are deceiving. The added sidewall in your design makes the full footprint useable. Like you said, you can put a sleeping bag almost against the wall. Move it out a bit and you can sit up in it!
I'm just impressed as heck at the whole thing. Can't wait to hear a "trip report" in it.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I don't have the sleeping bag or stove for a winter trip so it'll be a few months before I can try it out unless we get a real warm spell so I can take a truck trip down along the river. I have a Buddy heater I was going to put in it this morning to find out what it takes to heat it but the catalyst in the heater seems to be plugged. It won't fire right. It's about their earliest model and I haven't used it in a couple years. It's probably full of dust. I guess I need to start looking at wood stoves. There's a lot of info here on the BP forum. I have an old sheepherder stove but it has a 4" chimney. I don't really want to cut out the stove jack for it when most new ones have 3" chimneys but it might not hurt it any.

Here's a hint for anyone who wants to make a tent: Silnylon won't stretch at all pulling along the threads. However, it's very stretchy when cut at an angle. Sewing an angle cut to a straight cut will cause a lot of puckering if you don't do it right. Put the angled piece on the bottom and use lots of pins. If the angle cut is on top, the pressure foot will be pushing and stretching it. On a long seam, say 5 to 6', you can end up several inches off at the end because of the stretching.

― George Orwell

IC B2

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Very impressive! Where did you buy the silnylon from? Great job.

Sucess only comes before work in the dictionary.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by okhill
Very impressive! Where did you buy the silnylon from? Great job.
Fabric is 2d's from here: QUESTOUTFITTERS , $6.70/yd. I bought 28 yds to make the tent and a 10x10 tarp. Nowhere on it could I see a blemish. Another good source although a bit more expensive is Seattlefabrics.com. Both of them also carry a big assortment of zippers, hardware, etc.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Wind test:
It's blowing about 20 to 25 this morning. It's a long way from a hurricane but it does tell me a little. In these pics, it's coming from the back of the tent. It seems to be taking it just fine. I need to make some minor adjustments on the bottom stake loops. They're too big and don't hold the bottom down very well.

The stove is an old sheepherders stove that I've had for years. I won't be taking it on any pack trips for sure. I'm going to sell it and get a Ti stove of some kind. I'm just trying out the stove jack here. It works fine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well if Mrs. RC kicks you out you'll have a place to stay. Better stock up on firewood when you get a chance though, when I was out there trees looked to be kind of scarce in those parts!

Looks like it handled the wind pretty well.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
That is One Cool Tent!!

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Green with envy here. I don't know which I like better the tent or that black stormy cromer! Love cromers. always wanted a tent with a stove. very nice.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The Kromer is actually a deep blue, not that it makes any difference. We have a local farm store that carries them and I got that several years ago for around $15. US made, 100% wool. Love it.

I had a milsurp tent and an old sheepherder stove that I sold this morning. Now to decide which stove to spend it on.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very nice Rock Chuck!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 69 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,447
Posts18,470,977
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.