-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe this is actually covered under Arms in the second amendment.

NRA Lifetime Member

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by smarquez
We were trying to build our own rocket engines. It was't until much later I realized they were pipe bombs. Fire works powder and match heads. We're lucky they just fizzled.
We would fill balloons with gas from a snuffed cutting torch in HS metal shop, put it in a paper bag, twist it shut and light the end. That makes a really loud bang. We then put one in a locker lit it and closed the door. HOLY [bleep]!! It blew the door off into a chain link fence and the pressure expansion jammed about 6 doors shut. The school ended up just hauling the whole bank of lockers out. Funny looking back now but that was dangerous. And best was no cops were involved.

Acetylene is potent stuff. I had a hankering to shoot an '06 into an acelyene tank growing up, but the tank was rented. grin

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Of course, I'd NEVER whistle do anything like that, but I've seen a rez kid on the Rosebud drop a homemade M80-like device down a badger hole a time or two, trying to get a rise out of them........
all he did, though, was rile up a couple of rattlesnakes, or, so I hear.. Mister Noshoulders had a bad day or two, courtesy of some CCI .45 loads.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
BP cannon of .38 caliber. It made a #2 pencil nearly vanish into a coconut palm trunk. Only the eraser remained exposed.

I don't know where the .38 cal range bullets went.

Made a cannon that shot golf balls�..really shot them�they all went out of sight, so I hope they burnt up on re-entry�. whistle

I still have a golf ball cannon, and it sails them MILES away, don't ask how I know.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by RobJordan
I know a guy with one finger on his right hand. frown Lost the other three stuffing match heads into a Co2 cartridge. crazy Not smart. I wasn't there when it happened, but I talked to a friend of his who was. T'was a mess. sick

We built alot of pipe bombs as teenagers and young adults (maybe even a little toward middle age. wink.) One time we made one and then parked it in a 5 gal bucket of fertilizer soaked in diesel fuel. Blew diesel and fertilizer all over the hay field but did not ignite the mixture. frown Someone said you need a blasting cap or gun cotton for doing that. Anyone ever made gun cotton? (Hope we're not committing a crime here just discussint this. blush).

Jordan

We used to cut off match heads from matches and stuff them into CO2 cylinders as well, using a nail to compress the compound. We'd use another match for a fuse and a "V" shaped launching ramp. They'd fly about 300-350 feet. Never had one explode, but I now realize how dumb it was.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The great wonder of it all is that so many of us lived to make others later.

One of my kin went to make a "Roman candle." Filled a section of dry cane with a fistful of black powder (one end open, a node closing the other end).

He didn't get a "Roman candle," and fortunately didn't get a bomb (as I would've expected).

He got a rocket that sizzled out of his hand, hit 'im in the chest, and knocked 'im down. Hurt but not injured � or killed.

Lucky!

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As far as I know, none of us growing up in the 1950s have been stupid enough to create a written record of all the things we have done. Let's just say we know about all of the above.

OTOH, oral comments have appeared. grin

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
3/32 cannon fuse can be your best friend in most of these cases. It gives you time to find sufficient cover before the SHTF.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
RobJordan.....

There are some that aren't ........gullible!?

Why would you start this? Are you "special"?

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yep and an M80 driven 1/2" NPT pipe gun configured rifle or handgun with a few elbows and tees and a fuelcock that allowed the fuse to pass through. A beauty it was at age 13. We were having fun punching water filled soda cans with a mib powered by such and it blew threw the can, bounced off of the sidewalk across the street and flew though the BIG front living room window of the house across the street. We all packed up and ran and I was swiftly pulled down by my britches by the owner as I was trying to clear a fence. Recall walking home sure that my Dad had heard. He did, gave me the "you dumbazz" look and deducted the cost from my pay from the produce market I was working at. Thankfully, me dear Mother repaired the drapes for the lady of the house as the crashing glass tore them up a bit. Used to seriously dent redwood fences shooting candy Dotz through it as well. Oh the fun.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We used to snatch the bulb housings out of tail lights then install a bulb with the glass busted off it to expose the element. It made a very reliable trigger when the circuit was completed using a 12 volt battery.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Bunch of guys from school duct taped a pound of black powder to a gallon jug of gasoline, buried it in a hole and lit a long fuze. Produced an enormous explosion, the property came on the run, told us never to do anything like that again on his place.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RobJordan
I figured it was about time to let everyone know that I'm a snitch for the FBI or BATFE
Jordan

there, I fixed it for you.

;-)

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does this mean that Charlie Romano and I are targets of drone strikes for the galvanized pipe episode 60 years ago? He made me do it.

1B

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
As a teenager, I had a friend died making a pipe bomb. Fortunately I was not there to see it. The guy he was with was a real POS. After my friend died, I was at a gathering at a old abandon gas station hanging out with friends. A buddy and I went to leave and when we get back to my Dad's VW and saw a pair of legs sticking out the passenger door. The POS was trying to steal the battery. My buddy and I each grabbed and leg and jerked his azz right out of the car and across the asphalt to the crowd and announced what he was doing. He was a little sore after that. Didn't see the POS anymore after that.

Last edited by tomt53; 01/27/14.

Browning X-Bolt .30-06
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x50 CDS

Tikka T3x Lite 308 win
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x50 CDS
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I used a couple of skunk bombs.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
... you were never tried in the court of natural selection!

Now go out back and try again!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gitem_12
For a while we were really into paintball. And built an 'RPG'. We took a piece of PVC 6 inches in diameter. Made a blast shield out of plexi glas. Bought those model rockets with the remote controled launchers. We cut a core out of foam dodge balls and dipped them in paint. And glued them onto the rocket. One guy aimed the tube the other fired the rocket.
My son (JustOneGunner) got into paintball for a while and got me hooked as well. If you've never tried it, it's a blast. Eric's gear was better than mine, as I refused to spend as much on a paint ball marker as one spends on a rifle or shotgun, but man, did we have some fun! Played a lot of "big" games-200 to 350 players. There'd be waterborne landings, steep hills to scale, even tanks. Tanks were anything from ATV's with shells built around them to look like a tank, to old jeeps to just about anything with 4 wheels that could be made to resemble a tank. Rules dictated that the only way to take out a tank was to run up on it and either lob a paint grenade directly into the vehicle, or run up on it and slap it. They were very tough to knock out as there were usually two gunners plus the driver could shoot too, and it was hard to get that close without being shot. We ambushed one one time and about 6 of us lobbed paint grenades in on it and actually got two inside the tank-those guys were covered from head to foot with paint. My usual strategy was to bury in the thickest brushpile I could find and snipe guys after they passed me. Worked good until they busted you, then you were usually a sitting duck. Used to tag team with my son, as his gun was much faster, allmost like an automatic, and he could cover us pretty good.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
It should be a rite of passage into the reproductive pool.

Kind of a filter, if you get my drift.

grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We used to make firecracker guns. A piece of lead pipe, threaded internally on one end. Cut a slot in the threaded end. Mount the pipe in a crude handgun stock. Put a firecracker in the threaded end with the fuse sticking out through the slot. screw a cap into the threaded end and put an empty shotgun shell over the other end of the pipe. Aim 'er at something and light the fuse. I hit a galvanized steel garbage can one time (sorry Dad) and caved in the whole side. I used to harass the red squirrels with these, and hit the branch one was running on one time and knocked him clear out of the tree. I bet that critter's still running. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that the neighbors didn't exactly like having shotgun shells land in the middle of their picnic table while they were eating Sunday dinner...... That house was three lots up from ours.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

245 members (1minute, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 257_X_50, 1beaver_shooter, 32 invisible), 2,230 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,113
Posts18,483,446
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.