Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
my mom and dad had nothing growing up and have worked for everything they have ..............i told them i hope they spend every last dime I dont want anything not saying it wouldnt be nice but taking care of me and my family is my issue know not theirs

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Just curious if an inheritance is part of your retirement plans, or if you do receive one, would you leave it for your grandchildren, or a mixture of your children and grandchildren? I'm sure my dad did not receive an inheritance from his parents, because they were dirt poor. My dad was pretty successful, and apparently left my step mom in good financial condition, but I have no idea what she has, or if we (seven children) or our children will inherit anything when she passes.

Proverbs 13:22
A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children's children:

Counting chickens before they've hatched is a bad idea.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The only thing I would like to get from my parents is my Dad's gun collection that means a lot to me in that we have shared so much time in the fields/marshes/woods together with those firearms. I can recall many stories just by looking at each shotgun and rifle he has..... Those mean a lot to me, far more than the monetary value the firearms represent.

Other than that, I tell them to spend it all now.
I don't want any of their money, go enjoy life now while you still can.
Go on some trips, buy a new car, splurge on yourselves for once.

You worked for it, go enjoy it while you can.

Last edited by BlackFrog; 01/27/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nope. My folks have lived long after retirement and other than some keepsakes I don't anticipate more than enoguh to pay for funeral expenses.

My wife's parents are educators and his plan has always been to spend while he's healthy and live off his state retirement.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
When my mother died my sister and I split everything 50/50, final amount wasn't that much, but it was something.
Wife's mother died and left her three kids a bunch more. They lived life well and invested well and had set up a trust so the distribution was easy and painless among the kids.
We put this money into our own trust for our kids.
We have been very lucky that money has not a problem for us now that we are both retired. Our investments, home, and vehicles are all in the trust , so when it comes time,our kids should continue to enjoy our hard work and the love we have provided them.
The secret to any inheritance is proper planning, I don't think there is anything better than a Living Trust. You don't have to be rich to have one, it just makes it a lot easier on your family.

"The older I get, the better I was"
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here's some good info on setting up beneficiaries. They'll take precedence over a will and don't have to be probated. A person contesting a will can't touch it. If your asset can list beneficiaries, DO IT! BENEFICIARIES

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My mom is my only living parent left and I don't expect anything from her. I want her to enjoy her life and do what she wants, if that means spending every single penny she has then that would make me happy.

She has 2 rifles that I plan on taking when she does pass, one my dad bought, a Sears and Roebuck Ted Williams 30-30 and my dad Marlin 336c in 30-30. Those rifles will stay in our family at least until I am gone.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Proverbs 13:22
A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children's children:

and the democrats taketh it away grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Nothing shows a persons true colors like a custody dispute or a probate dispute. Ask any lawyer.
Many people with "loving" siblings who think things will go smoothly after the parents' demise are in for a big surprise.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
inheritance ... very un-likely

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
IC B3

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I do not desire an inheritance, nor am I expecting one. I live as though it will never happen, and am content that it wouldn't happen. I've told my folks this as well. That being said, they tell me that my brother and sister and I will be taken care when they pass. I'm still not counting on it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
is it bad to get an inheritance?

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

No.

I'm pissed.

Have Dog

Will Travel

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My wife & I both received significant inheritances, we were happy to get it. We give the maximum nontaxable gift each year to our Daughter & son in law. Better they get the money when they are young enough to use it.

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mom has been gone 30 years and Dad a dozen. They divorced 15 yrs before Mom passed so I lived thru two estates...neither with alot of cash equity. What I did have the opportunity to do was buy the family farms from both sides of the family....and although there was a price tag....it was truly priceless. Oh, I got Grandpa's still that was buried in the chicken coop too....:)

Best,
Scott

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have seen more than one family torn apart and ruined from waiting for the big money to rain down on them.

A properly drawn and executed Will prevents most of that schitt, as does a Trust. You are right about your observations, though.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Remember the granddaughter waiting breathlessly to see if she got Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino. Classic.

Likewise, we used to have a couple here who ran a high class women's clothing store and they banked a few million from it. They didn't have any kids. In their will, they said that the community made them rich and they gave it all back to the community. Their relatives got almost nothing. To start with, they built a planetarium for the local college among other things.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The inheritance of a good name is prized above all others. That one lasts unless you contaminate it yourself.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
When my grandmother died my mom asked me what I wanted and told me to go to her house and get what I could get. I never went till everyone else tore her house apart. All I wanted was a knife she showed me and told me it was the first knife that her and my grandpaw got when the got married. She went on to tell me how many hogs she scraped with it when they killed hogs. I got it, it was one of the only things left. The handles were about to fall off and the blade had been sharpened so many times it was half gone.

I asked for her kitchen table and chairs but my bitch aunt by marriage took it even though they have plenty of money and me and my wife just got married and didn't even have a table yet. Plus my dad was the one who gave the table to my grandmother. F'ed up if you ask me. People are $hitty. God is just though and people like that will get what's coming to them.

My pop already has his property in my name so nobody can try and screw me out of it. Gonna have one home free and clear and another I will have to split with my step brother. My dad has worked like a dang mule since I was a baby so he could leave me something cause his dad died when he was 14 and left him in poverty. I would trade it all if I could have had more time with him when he was working every weekend when i was a kid.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
will tell one story, since they are all dead. My brother in law had a couple of sisters, all three came from a farm/ranch near odessa texas. One of the sisters lived on it for years. Oil was found which she hated because it stunk. she in her day gave over 1million to oral roberts every time God talked to him. She employed some mexican nationals that had worked the farm for many many years. Every time la migra rounded them up, she would go down and bring them back up. She eventually died and the remaining siblings had a decision to make. They gave the ranch to the mexicans who had lived there for so long retaining the oil rights. This brother in law who was like a father to me in many ways, i didn't know it until close to his end, had been giving 10% of everything all his adult life to the danny thomas hospital for kids. Not many people would do the above, and shows his character.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

690 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 3,103 guests, and 1,396 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,198
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.