Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
have a new cz 455 and am going to put a rimfire 4x on it. Have narrowed down to weaver or leupold rimfire 4x's...

your thoughts on the two?

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have had the Weaver for years and have zero issues with it. I also have the 2-7x with the same results.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

Both are good scopes.
The leupold is better and more $$$.
I have had both but currently have only leupold.

NRA Patron
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Weaver is just as good in my opinion...

I have a pair of the 2 x 7s... one spent 5 years on top of a Model 70 Compact in 30/06 and never had an issue... did this after Weaver told me they were built to the same standards as non rimfire scopes..

Both now reside on top of a 30/30 each.. a Marlin and a Model 94 Legacy...as their size really matches those rifles...

so they are easily capable of handling a 22 rimfire...

I run a high magnification on my CZ 452, but I am head shooting gophers at 125 yds from a rest...CZs are that accurate.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Given the choice I'd buy Leupold. Besides being a better scope, I'd rather my money support an American company and workers.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by tmitch
Given the choice I'd buy Leupold. Besides being a better scope, I'd rather my money support an American company and workers.

Better warranty with the Leupy, too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dale06

Both are good scopes.

I have the Weaver 2-7x28 on my Sako quad 22lr. I actually like the slightly thicker cross hairs.

About 4 months ago I saw that it was going to sprinkle some, left the rifle out on purpose under a tree laid across some wheel barrow handles to clean. 5am and 7inches later I opened one eye, ran out the door and tore that rifle down then and there.

Thought the blued rifle and Japanese scope would not survive unscathed. No rust on the rifle and both were as clean as a whistle.

Save yourself $100 or so and buy a couple of 50 round boxes of Blazer 22lr ammo.

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by rkamp
Originally Posted by dale06

Both are good scopes.

I have the Weaver 2-7x28 on my Sako quad 22lr. I actually like the slightly thicker cross hairs.

About 4 months ago I saw that it was going to sprinkle some, left the rifle out on purpose under a tree laid across some wheel barrow handles to clean. 5am and 7inches later I opened one eye, ran out the door and tore that rifle down then and there.

Thought the blued rifle and Japanese scope would not survive unscathed. No rust on the rifle and both were as clean as a whistle.

Save yourself $100 or so and buy a couple of 50 round boxes of Blazer 22lr ammo.

Actually, comparing current prices he'd only save about $75.
And still get a schitty warranty from ATK.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would get the Leupold if for no other reason than the resale and warranty.

Personally, I prefer a higher power variable because half the fun for me is shooting bug holes with accurate rifles. The VX2 4-12 AO and Weaver V16 are both excellent choices.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any Leupold is still under warrantee, and a old Weaver is not.
Simple choice's.

IC B3

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I would go with the Leupold for it is not that much difference in money to get a much better warranty. Nothing wrong with the weaver but I don't like how they keep being bought by some other company. Hard to say what they would tell you if you had a warranty issue. I have been getting really nice Leupold 4x and 1-4x scopes and some 2-7 at shows for $100- $120 and they are not a gamble if there is a problem when you send one in. They will fix or replace them. So far I haven't had to return any.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Tmitch: Good for you on supporting an American and American owned company!
I also try to do the same thing myself as often as possible.
I was leaving my ice fishing lake with a limit of dandy Rainbow trout yesterday mid-day when I heard an interview on the radio.
The person being interviewed was at the SHOT Show at the time of the interview and he was a representaive of the Leupold & Stevens Company.
Among many things discussed was that his company had just now passed the 700 American employees mark at their Beaverton, Oregon manufacturing facility!!!
WOW!
Another interesting tidbit of info that he passed out was that his company is planning on bringing out a variable scope this year that ranges in power from 7x to 42x!
I mean WWOOWW on that!
Again good for you on the buy American credo.
Long live Leupold & Stevens Corporation.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Johnnypa: I have been buying and using Leupold scopes since 1964 myself and my experience parrallels yours - I have as yet to find one of my Leupolds needing factory repair!
I currently have/own/use 51 (fifty one) Leupold scopes and enjoy worry free and excellent performance from all of them on my firearms.
I do have a Leupold rimfire 4 power scope but have never owned the Weaver rimfire model so can't comment on their comparable performance one way or the other.
Knock on wood for my going over 50 years of outstanding performance and reliability with a multitude of Leupold scopes (and my Leupold binoculars and spotting scopes as well).
Knock.
Knock.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The below taken right from Weaver's current website-

Pretty much the same bullschit "warranty" as Nikon has. A lot of hoops to jump through and $$ to pay for something that could be their fault in the first place. And, if you are not the original owner or don't have your receipt- you are SOL.

I'd rather have a new $175 US Made 2-7x REDFIELD Revolution from Luepold and then send it back to them and for FREE they will adjust the Parallax to whatever yardage you want for rimfire use. THAT scope will STILL have a full Leupold warranty AND be built by Americans.

I say [bleep] Corporations like ATK who play the "branding game" and export our jobs with imports and then screw over their customers to boot.

Warranty
Weaver Service and Support Limited Lifetime Warranty: Weaver warrants this product to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for as long as it is owned by the original owner. Weaver will repair or replace (at Weavers' option) any such defective product when it is returned by the original owner with a copy of the original receipt. The repair or replacement will be without charge* except for reasonable shipping, handling and insurance charges.

THIS WARRANTY IS YOUR EXCLUSIVE WARRANTY AND REPLACES ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO THE ABOVE EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IN THAT EVENT, SUCH WARRANTIES ARE LIMITED IN DURATION FOR AS LONG AS THE PRODUCT IS OWNED BY YOU (THE ORIGINAL OWNER). IN ADDITION, IN NO EVENT SHALL WEAVER BE LIABLE FOR COSTS IN EXCESS OF THE PRICE OF THE PRODUCT INCLUDING ANY INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. THIS WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS AND YOU MAY ALSO HAVE OTHER RIGHTS WHICH VARY FROM JURISDICTION TO JURISDICTION. THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER DEFECTS OR PROBLEMS CAUSED BY ABUSE, MISUSE, NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR, OR BY IMPROPER HANDLING OR INSTALLATION, AND THE WARRANTY IS VOIDED BY UNAUTHORIZED REPAIR.

RGA Number Required: Prior to the return of any product or part, a Return Goods Authorization (RGA) number must be obtained by Weaver's Technical Service Department or by calling 800-635-7656. Each returned part or product must include a written statement detailing the nature of the claimed defect, and RGA number as well as the owner's name, address, phone number, and a copy of the original sales invoice. Packaging: If possible, ship the product in its original packaging. Please be sure to wrap the package securely and use strapping tape on the outside of the package. Send only the product to be repaired. Please do not send accessory items such as dust caps, carrying case, mounts, etc.

What to Include:
� A short note explaining the reason you are sending the product in for repair and the RGA number.
� Your daytime phone number.
� An address for returning your product to you. (No PO boxes please.)
� A money order in the amount of $15.00 to cover shipping and handling fees.
� Photocopy of your sales receipt.

Shipping: We recommend that you ship your product to us by a tracked parcel service. We also recommend that you insure the shipment against loss. Many carriers automatically insure packages up to a certain nominal amount, typically $100. Please check to see if the insurance provided by the carrier is adequate to cover the replacement value of your product. If you live in the United States, your product should be sent, freight prepaid, to:

Weaver Optics
Attention: Repair Department
1 ATK Way
Anoka, MN 55303

In other countries, please contact your Weaver� International Distributor in your country for service.

Repair Process: After receiving your returned product, a Weaver repair technician will evaluate your product to determine what repairs are needed and whether or not your product is covered by an applicable warranty. If the product is covered by our warranty, you will receive no additional correspondence and we will either repair or replace your product, at our option. Your repaired product, or a comparable replacement of equal value and function, will be shipped back to you. *If, however, your product is no longer covered by our warranty, one of our technicians will provide you with an estimate of the cost to repair or replace your product. You will have 20 business days to respond and either accept or decline the recommendation. If you accept the recommendation for repair or replacement you will need to provide the payment requested before we will commence work on your product. Payment can be made in the form of a money order, or if you prefer, by MasterCard or VISA. If you do not respond within the 20 business day period, we will return the un-repaired product to you.

Last edited by jk16; 01/26/14.
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks for the excellent advice from all.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
+1 for Leupold.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I normally find the Leupolds have much better optics. The warranty is top notch as the others have pointed out as well.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have both and I like the the weavers a lot that being said having sent both in for work it is a no brainer leupold hands down quicker service no ??? they ask, they just do the work and return and they are great scopes IMHO

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (7mm_Loco, 35, 300_savage, 24HourCampFireGuy50, Akhutr, 6 invisible), 1,694 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,471
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.