Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Basically I'm a beginner and I realize lapua, nosler, and Norma are probably a lot better than Winchester and Remington. But are they really worth it for the price over Remington and Winchester brand?

Tater
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The answer depends on what you're shooting it in and what you're trying to accomplish.

For example, a friend's Rem. M7 in 308 won't resolve fine differences in ammunition the way my 40X or 5R Milspec will.

Last edited by mathman; 01/27/14.
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Well I'm reloading for hunting rifles 243,270,280,30-06,25-06,7mm-08

Tater
V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
For hunting rifles I say no they are not worth it and properly prepped you can do just fine with Winchester and Remington. You may get more life from the higher priced brass but that's debatable.

Curiosity killed the cat, But for a while I was a suspect.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For those purposes, Remchester will be fine. For those of us with the same requirements who are just a bit OCD, we use (at least I do) Lapua. And brass can make a difference - I have a pair of .260 Rems that taught me that. Winchester .243 brass necked up didn't shoot worth a darn and it was done on a K&M mandrel in a Coax press. However, .260 Rem. Remington brass and .260 Rem Lapua brass in the same guns with the same loads produced 1/2 MOA groups.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wish Lapua made 7mm-08 brass.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by lastround
I wish Lapua made 7mm-08 brass.

Agreed!

Some 300 Win Mag brass would be fantastic as well.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Is nosler and Norma a little better than say Remington and Winchester?

Tater
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nosler is made by Norma. Having used all 5 brands in various calibers my ranking goes like this
1. Norma
2. Lapua
3. Nosler
4. Remington, quality is inconsistent lately, but better than WW
5. Winchester, used to be good, now it's pretty much junk. Poor Q.C

IMO

Swifty
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Nosler is made by Norma. Having used all 5 brands in various calibers my ranking goes like this
1. Norma
2. Lapua
3. Nosler

IMO

Oh yeah. The 308 and 243 I've tried lately has been terrible.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I cannot speak about 300 WM or 7mm08 cases, but Prvi Partizan makes good brass. I have it in 308 Win, 22 Hornet, 7.62x39mm, 223, 303 British and 30-06. Granted, I bought loaded cartridges, but the brass was better than Rem or Win.

Grafs used to sell Prvi brass, as did other companies.

Edited to add: http://www.prvipartizan.com/cases.php

They show 300WMM and 7mm08 cases listed as available as components.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have not bought new brass for a while now, so I speak from brass acquired 6 to 30 years ago and is still being used.
For hunting rifles, Rem Win and FC brass has worked just fine for me. Some nib to some range brass. My one experience with new Lapua brass was way less than the price warranted.

-Don't mix your head stamps.
-Uniform a batch of brass, then weight sort to set out the lights and heavies.
-Size to just fit your chamber.
-Keep your brass batches separate and identified.
-Work up your loads in a safe manner.
-Remember that each and every rifle, barrel and chamber are different and if you pay attention to the brass, each gun will have an expected life for the brass you run thru it.
-Deer don't read brass head stamps.
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Swifty52
1. Norma
2. Lapua
3. Nosler

IMO

Oh yeah. The 308 and 243 I've tried lately has been terrible.

Terrible how? I'm guessing beat up but maybe great difference in weight case to case? I hope it's not too bad, just bought 3 bags of WW after it was unavailable for so long.

Golden............
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I found some Remington here and was just wondering if anyone had trouble with it

Tater
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Folds in the shoulders.

Specks of crap in the brass, like the base material was contaminated and put into production anyway.

Necks splitting after one firing.

Primer pockets not formed correctly, in particular being too shallow and having too large a radius at the bottom corner.

Being made with the smallest body diameter that I've measured just ahead of the extraction groove.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I started out using Rem brass 'cause that's what the little reloading shop that I traded at carried. With exceptions, I've pretty much stuck with it. Over the years, it has served me well. Despite post from various experts about loss of QC, etc.
I tried one batch (100) of Norma 22-250 brass. That example of one was absolutely horrible. I could not even approach the load I was using in Rem brass without stretched primer pockets and split necks. By the end of the competitive season, I had 27 of the original 100 left.
Lapua is a different story. If you don't want to spend any time on case prep, Lapua is the brass to buy. You can usually load with little or no case prep. If you are competing where a 1/8th"
smaller group or a couple of X's is the difference between winning or going home empty handed, Lapua will help you.
That being said, however, if you are loading for a hunting rifle, other than bragging rights, the Lapua isn't worth the difference over a domestic brand. And too, Rem brass, with a bit of case prep, can be highly competitive.
I'm not a shill for Remington, it's just that what I've used the most of.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used some of the PPU brass with mixed results. On the 7mm-08, everything was fine. Shot just like the hornady and Rem brass I had.
The 243 was a different story. Out of a bag of 100 cases, 61 had primer pockets that were the wrong size. Somewhere between the size of a LR primer and a SR primer. In addition, the flash holes were off center or crooked (aimed towards the side of the case as much as 20 degrees).

Swifty52, have you any thoughts on the Hornady brass?

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bbear, I quit using Hornady brass quite a number of years ago. Probably low to mid 90's.
I found it didn't last quite as long as Rem or WW. Had necks split after 3 to 4 firings. It also seemed to be quite hard right off the bat. I have some once fired that were given to me over the years from people that didn't hand load, some as recently as last fall and my opinion hasn't changed.

As far as R.P lately, its not the case necks out of round or cosmetics per se, its been that case weight and lengths have been such as some bags I have culled up to 30% due to weight variations of +- 10 grains and a length variation of +- 10 thou. whereas I have bags of R.P in various calibers 4-5 years old that are not bad at all. In fact uniformity is very good. With cull rates like that its almost as expensive as the top 3 on my list.

WW used to be very good. But as an example, I bought 4 bags of 220 Swift brass and out of 2 bags 70% were 15-20 thou under trim length and the necks were so thick they wouldn't even chamber in the rifle, plus they took jacket material off the bullet when seating, even ruined a couple trying to seat the bullet.

This is just the opinion of a picky old SOB who remembers what it was like to get a good quality product for my hard earned money.

Swifty
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Some of you are experiencing the ebb and flow of quality control. It will swing back again in the future.

I did use Winchester many years ago, but switched to Euro brass - Lapua, PP and Norma - because it was cheaper up here and better quality.

The quality exception was Igman. I had ongoing problems with primer pockets in various cartridges.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've used the gambit of manufactures brass. I generally don't have too much problems. I keep my number of reloads / firings to 5x. As a general rule I usually fine two charges in the spectrum that give me a good group and I go with the lower of the two.

I did have one batch of Wolf brass only go 3x on the firings before I chucked it. I sent 10 rounds to Nosler after 5 firings and they said it could have gone another 10 at the pressure I was loading it to.

YMMV

HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (44automag, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 6MMWASP, 16 invisible), 1,260 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,994
Posts18,481,128
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.