Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
My Daughter who lives in Germany is coming home for 2 weeks & I have decided to buy her a new tablet to use while she's over here & when she gets back to Berlin.

What should I buy & what should I avoid?

THANKS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
iPad if you can afford it. Nook HD if you can't.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I have the Kindle Fire and the iPad Mini. They both do it all, but the Kindle is better if reading books is going to be the main purpose, because it's just a better reader, e.g., you can set the font size to one word per page if you want, i.e., huge variability on that. In every other way, though, the iPad is better.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
My wife just got a PC Surface 10.6". We're new to the game, but it is doing real well, and she is learning the things she can do with it quite nicely.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I have the Kindle Fire and the iPad Mini. They both do it all, but the Kindle is better if reading books is going to be the main purpose, because it's just a better reader, e.g., you can set the font size to one word per page if you want, i.e., huge variability on that. In every other way, though, the iPad is better.

My wifey's iPad mini will do same.

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Anybody use Samsung?

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
My wifey's iPad mini will do same.
Ask her to tell me how. Mine gives me very little variability on that. The largest font is still too small for comfortable reading.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have 2 Samsungs, Note 8 and Note 10.1.

The small one goes everywhere for work, the large one for entertainment etc.

The Samsung Notes have a better digitizer and stylus. You can write or draw just like on paper.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Lots of Kindles having problems with the charging ports, mine included.

I am 100% against waterboarding. Splatter their brains out the back of their heads.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Post this as well in the European forum to look for feedback on user issues between the US and Germany.

IC B3

40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ipad is better for encouraging creativity.

Samsung for economical tablet that is solid and works well.

The new Microsoft surface is on my radar. A friend just picked one up and it is slick. Runs windows and office. Detachable keyboard.

We have kindle and Samsung tablets in our house. For the kids, either will do. We have a kindle charging port give out and Amazon replaced it with a new unit. Then again, we buy ALOT of stuff from Amazon.

I recommend that you talk to your daughter.

Good luck,
Pete

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 40O
Ipad is better for encouraging creativity.

Samsung for economical tablet that is solid and works well.

The new Microsoft surface is on my radar. A friend just picked one up and it is slick. Runs windows and office. Detachable keyboard.

We have kindle and Samsung tablets in our house. For the kids, either will do. We have a kindle charging port give out and Amazon replaced it with a new unit. Then again, we buy ALOT of stuff from Amazon.

I recommend that you talk to your daughter.

Good luck,
Pete
Amazon has amazing customer service. I'm not surprised they'd replace a unit like that. That comes from being an underdog in the tablet market, most likely. They have to go the extra mile, and they do.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
We gave our kids samsung 7" tablets. wifi. They work nice. Battery is about 10 hours.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nexus 7" what I am using now!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kinda depends on what she's gonna end up doing with it. And do you want to pay for a service for it or wifi only?

If you do wifi only, the Nook HD or Nook HD+ is great. There's really not a lot you can't do with them. And Barnes and Noble suppirt is awesome.

One downside is no camera. Being that she is far away, I can imagine maybe you guys Skype maybe? Couldn't do that with a Nook. In my mind, that's it's only limitation. And you just can't beat the price.

For "real" tablets, the one I keep reading about that is getting the best reviews from professional geek types is the Nexus 7. My partner at work has one. And it's pretty darn cool. He's never had any issues with it after a year of hard use.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Until app developers start writing for Microsoft, the surface is DOA. If you want a small PC, it may be an option. Apps or ereaders are the whole reason to get a tablet. If you don't want either, get a cheap laptop.

If you want cheaper, and don't mind a small chance of hardware failure of some type, get a nexus.

If you want the very best quality hardware, and don't care if it costs more, get an iPad.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Since she's in Germany I would avoid the expensive Apple. I believe the Android platform is the market share winner there. Thus I would probably select a Samsung.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/oct/31/apple-ipad-samsung-android-ipad-air

Last edited by silver78; 01/29/14.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If you get an iPad, you won't need to worry about viruses . . .

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
market share winner = best price point, not the best. the people that drive market share whether it be phones, tablets, laptops are the ones that have high replacement cycles. that guy that always buys the newest phone/table. apple will never have a long term grasp on market share, and according to their business model they don't want to.

i support about 50 of these type devices for a living. beware of reviews by geeks. they get whatever comes out next, and are often more enamored by shiny flashy fluff than a practical item that will last a while.

there is nothing wrong with droid OS. but in my personal experience people with iOS mobile devices keep them much longer and have less trouble than those with any of the non-apple devices. and i assure you i am no apple-phile. they just make good hardware, period.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
iPad Mini

Sam......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (260Remguy, 12344mag, 1936M71, 007FJ, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,262 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,671
Posts18,493,787
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.