-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
A "kid" I have known for many years just called with a call for help. Eric drew a fancy assisted-suicide cow moose permit and just killed her. he has never shot anything before and is using mostly gear borrowed from me.

To say he is excited is an understatement!

So I'll go get a blood on me for a few hours.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Must say that you sound a little excited for him also. Good for him and thanks to you for making it a reality. Tom

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool. I like to hear when others are helping introduce non-hunters or non-shooters into the lifestyle.

I keep a loaner gun ready to go at all times just for such chances. I also keep loaded rounds for a 6BR on hand and keep that rifle sighted in for 800 yards. I have lost track of how many people have shot their first long range target with that gun, probably close to fifty. My loaner gun is a 243AI and I cannot recall all of the first deer it has accounted for, but it is probably nearing 30,

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
well, it was an "easy" moose as they go, a young cow of modest proportion in recent clearcut on level ground close to a good trail with two stout lads to do the hauling.

All of the moose made it out in a single trip by sled. Unfortunately the shotgun failed to make the trip and quite a few miles down the road that fact surfaced.

So we drove back in the dark to retrieve the slug gun and it was back out at the kill site, a half-mile or so back in.

I took some pictures and will try to post them tomorrow, right now I need a trip to the hot tub.

And a thank you to all the folks that read this post and called or texted to offer to help. It was appreciated, but not needed this time.

Eric had a slug-only tag in a confined area and six days to kill a cow. Monday we saw no moose but lots of sign. Today was Eric's second chance and he was calm enough to call before shooting to confirm that I would come help him.

After a lengthy stalk a calf appeared so he had to drop that target. Moving around a long log pile he found a large concentration of cows and sneaked to a small ridge in the middle of them. When he stood up his cow was 75 yards away.

He was shooting an 870 12 gauge with a Remington factory slug barrel and brenneke slugs. Iron sights.

Offhand he hit her high enough to break the spine and stop the slug, but exactly behind the shoulder, exactly where he was told to shoot. He then shot her behind the ear to complete the event. He is some kind of excited, still.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
that brings back some fond memories.

I've been quite homesick, spending my hours largely in contemplation- wondering how it can be both colder and more boring in Savannah in the winter.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Good to see you posting Gerry. It has been a strange winter. Right when we want good hanging temperatures it gets too cold again, though.

AT least the Kenai has not been fishing well, that should make you feel somewhat better...

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Nice for the kid.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm familiar with the "uh-ugh" and "uh-igh" of the male and female of the species, but what exactly is the "down call. Is that like "yee-hah" or more like "oh-shi-oats"? Can you clarify? In any case, I'm glad you recognized it and helped the young fellow out. smile

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
I'm familiar with the "uh-ugh" and "uh-igh" of the male and female of the species, but what exactly is the "down call. Is that like "yee-hah" or more like "oh-shi-oats"? Can you clarify? In any case, I'm glad you recognized it and helped the young fellow out. smile

Everyone knows the "down" call comes from a duck... sheesh! wink

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Reminded of the old joke:

How do you get down off an elephant?
smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
You Bet Your Life!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Good deal, and good on you, Art.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Hey Art, I've a few weeks left of moose season - can i give you a call??? smile

It's raining like hell here on Maui, but warm. Pretty sure the moose are holed up. Haven't seen one yet anyway.

That 40 ton whale full-length breaching 200 yards off the beach was pretty impressive. Of course he didn't do it twice... so no pic.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Jorge
Thinking you are cross threaded???

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Think so Art. Thanks!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 160user, 1minute, 53 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,015
Posts18,500,331
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.