Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Guess I�m getting old. You guys are talking about stuff we used on our kids, let alone what was used on us.

Coke syrup from the drug store for stomach flue.

Whiskey and honey still works for sore throats.

7-UP still works.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Vicks Vapo-rub, Vicks Vapo-rub and more Vicks Vapo-rub on throat, chest and in my nose. Ack, hated that stuff.

Rubbing alcohol, peroxide, merthiolate and mercurochrome for the cuts and scrapes I always had.

7-Up for upset stomach, hey ya gotta win once in a while.

Petro-carbo salve, I have no idea what that stuff was, but the Watkins man loved us.

Hot toddies came later for coughs - lemon, honey, water and whisky heated up. Actually worked quite well.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well mercurochrome and merthiolate plus casteroil, Vicks and others. An enema fixed a lot of things. We were afraid of being sick. My wife said that I had no compassion for sick people, well I don't as my family didn't tolerate it.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Vicks on a wool sock wrapped around the neck - rubbed into the chest if things were serious.

Aspergum just to see if you really were sick.

My folks were merthiolate believers but grandma used a painless oil called ST37 or something like that. Always took my cuts to granny. ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
turpentine cures everything and witch hazel is a miracle drug.Burns was vaseoline and sulphur.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Goose grease

no chit

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mercurochrome, merthiolate, and terpentine for cuts and scrapes. It didn't seem to make much difference which one. Warm olive oil for ear aces. That is probably why I can't hear worth a flip right now. Caster oil was for what ever else was bothering you and sometimes, I think, if I was bothering Mom a dose of caster oil would be just the threat to straighten me out.

Harry
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
I don't remember mercurochrome burning, but merthiolate did have some sizzle.

Exactly!

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm glad you mentioned goose grease Greg. I thought my mom was the only one. She saved a jar of goose grease to rub on us when we had a cold.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Goose grease

no chit

I was reading through this and think these must be the rich folks that I always heard about. Sore throat was a couple of drops of turpentine on a spoon of sugar or if we was out, coal oil. Now I expect this was kerosene but do not know, it was called coal oil. Grandma was stingy with her paregoric. Same with a puncture wound or wasp sting, coal oil. Upset stomach was a spoon of baking soda in water. I still use that. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Cod-Liver Oil, Mustard Plaster, Horse Liniment, and Iodine or Mercurochrome (for all bleeding incidents.)

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Used to deer hunt out on Old Lady Vaunes farm on Platin creek in the 1960s and she was at least 80.

Said that when she was a young girl they treated her copperhead bite with coal oil.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mom used Watkins Salve for sores, slivers, cuts, you name it. A tin lasts forever. Bought a tin several years ago and still use it. Iodine was always available but mostly used for small cuts.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Butter...plain old butter on burns.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have had nearly all of these used on me. The one I don't see is the black salve my Grandmother always used on any cut or open sore. I have no idea what it really was we just called it that chicken poop stuff. Didn't see Doans pills or Carter's Little Liver pills mentioned either. Yes coal oil and lamp oil are kerosene. This thread brought back a lot of memories.
Bill

You do not have to have had a psychotic episode to work here, it just saves time!
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by colodog
Merthiolate, Mercurochrome, Camphophenique? Iodine, Cod liver oil and washing my mouth out with soap when I tried out new words!

Yep. I wonder what Mercurochrome was - mercury and chromium? It could clear up a sore throat in short order for sure though if a long q tip soaked it was rubbed around in the back of the throat.

Find a leaking pine tree and rub that sap on a cut. Mix up sulphur and bacon grease to put on impetigo sores.

Last edited by eyeball; 01/29/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Goose grease

no chit

GTC

I wouldn't think goose chit would be good for anything either, Cross. wink

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Bill_55
I have had nearly all of these used on me. The one I don't see is the black salve my Grandmother always used on any cut or open sore. I have no idea what it really was we just called it that chicken poop stuff. Didn't see Doans pills or Carter's Little Liver pills mentioned either. Yes coal oil and lamp oil are kerosene. This thread brought back a lot of memories.
Bill

Black salve=Ichthammol. Its still available at CVS. This old time salve has proven anti-inflammitory, bacteriocidal, and fungicidal properties. Was commonly used as a "drawing salve" also.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
iodine
quinine
Mercurochrome
cod-liver oil
castor oil
turpentine
black salve
Cloverine salve
Vicks
Mentholatum
mustard plaster
warm salt water
cascara sagrada
paregoric
Merthiolate
boric acid
milk of magnesia
epsom salts
mineral oil

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Always hated Merthiolate. Stung like the dickens! Still can't stand the smell of Vicks or the taste of Pepto Bismo either. Nasty tasting ShiiTT.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 01/30/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

471 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 41 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,723
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.