Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Lou_270 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
All,

I am looking at potential move to Portland, OR area for a job opportunity. I've done a bit of research on hunting opps in the state, but the info is pretty general so hoping to get some realities to those familiar with hunting/living in the state. I don't have a ton of time to make the decision once in motion and the reality is most of my time is looking at the career opp/family/housing side of it so hoping somebody familiar can give a good summary. Thanks in advance!

Lou

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd put us in the fair category. Not a state I'd spend non resident dollars in but OK. If hunting was my only reason to exist, it would be Alaska first, then maybe Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana.

One can hunt west side black tail deer and Roosevelt elk with across the counter tags rifle or archery. East side desert mule deer and elk with across the counter archery tags but one must draw about every 2nd or 3rd year for rifle permits. Pronghorn about once every 6 to 12 years depending on the unit. Spring bear with a drawing about every two years and fall bear across the counter. Sheep and goats are once in a life time, and it looks like it will be two life times for me to draw. Turkey across the counter.

Upland birding is fair but heavily year dependent. Duck and geese, probably best on the west side.

Salmon and steelheading can be very good, but there is a learning curve if one wants consistent results. Trout can be had year round.

About 50% of the state is public land, so we are blessed with near unlimited roaming space. Compared to Texas, access is near a non issue.

I'm happy here, but it takes some out of state trips to keep my spirits soaring.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/29/14.

1Minute
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I would echo 1minute's comments. I do 2-4 out of state trips a year to stay sane. If I was only restricted to Oregon in regards to hunting I would move�..

Lou_270 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys! I would probably still do an out of state trip a year as well. Coming from TX, open land would be nice.

Lou

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well there is getting out there, and then there is shooting stuff... guess at my age, just being out there with the old rifle and getting to walk for miles in mother natures best....

I like the hunt... getting something is nice, but I don't loose it when I don't fill a tag...

If you can live with that, Oregon is great... definitely if you like varmint hunting...

plenty of open land and federally owned or state owned, so public land...

I love it here, except the winter rains get a little boring... and I have no use for the state ran government, ran by Portland democrats....like Colorado, its the tail wagging the dog...

If you want to go out of state to hunt, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming, Nevada are not that far away....at least compared to from Texas...

Overall, Oregon isn't a bad place....but like everywhere else, we have too many welfare abusers, too much drug use, too much frustration in a state ran by Democrats dictating to the rest of us and milking our wallets...but if you have a job or home, its pretty hard to escape that....no matter where ya go...

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Oregon sucks. Don't move here. You'll hate it.

LOL
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm packing up and leaving on Monday, thanks to your advise...

appreciate it... grin

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It's possible that we might be moving or OR, too, in the next year. Every one of our family on both sides are scattered up and down the coast from Seattle to Grants Pass. I'm retired now and we're tired of being so isolated from family. We're looking at SW Oregon to stay out of the rain zone.

Idaho sells 3 yr licenses and I just bought one so I can use it even as a non-res. I would have to buy non-res tags, though. If we move, I'm debating buying an ID lifetime hunting license for $220. Then I could come back and hunt for the rest of my life on it. If I'd known what I now now, I'd have bought it 15 years ago.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Do your research before you commit to SW Oregon. Lots of drugs, lots of thieves, no law enforcement, especially in Josephine county. People moving pot growing operations there from all over the country due to lack of law enforcement. 2 different old timers have told me that back in the 70's the area was sprayed for understory brush to promote timber and it killed the ecosystem from trees on down. Small game up to deer unable to get feed. Still lingering to this day, sterile forests.
Dry south facing slopes are covered with burrs, hits 110 degrees in summer, poison oak everywhere, ticks so bad in the spring you can't go in the woods. Just about the time it's nice to sit outside on the patio the mosquitos hatch and stay around all summer. Fire season shuts the woods down to ATV's and motorcycles in the summer so you can't get out much. Private land in all the valleys is surrounded by mountains so if you want to hunt it's straight up and down. Thick brush eliminates most hunting opportunites. Hard to find a place to shoot hundreds of yard to plink with the cross canyon rifle.

It's a place for young legs, hardened criminals, drug users, and general white trash.

Other than that, SW is great.

LOL
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Do your research before you commit to SW Oregon. Lots of drugs, lots of thieves, no law enforcement, especially in Josephine county. People moving pot growing operations there from all over the country due to lack of law enforcement. 2 different old timers have told me that back in the 70's the area was sprayed for understory brush to promote timber and it killed the ecosystem from trees on down. Small game up to deer unable to get feed. Still lingering to this day, sterile forests.
Dry south facing slopes are covered with burrs, hits 110 degrees in summer, poison oak everywhere, ticks so bad in the spring you can't go in the woods. Just about the time it's nice to sit outside on the patio the mosquitos hatch and stay around all summer. Fire season shuts the woods down to ATV's and motorcycles in the summer so you can't get out much. Private land in all the valleys is surrounded by mountains so if you want to hunt it's straight up and down. Thick brush eliminates most hunting opportunites. Hard to find a place to shoot hundreds of yard to plink with the cross canyon rifle.

It's a place for young legs, hardened criminals, drug users, and general white trash.

Fireball2:

So why are you still living there?

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rock Chuck:
That lifetime license would be well worth the cost.

1Minute
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Yeah it would... Much cheaper than other states! A no brainer...

Psuedo-Random Number Generator: 6.8 .338 .375 .45
Psuedo-Random Truck Generator: V8 Toyota w/ Overland Warehouse - Torsen - BFGoodrich
Go out and get it.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

We've looked at 25 acres north of Roseburg. 5 acres is open pasture and flat. The rest was logged some years ago and now is a mass of undergrowth. Our solution would be goats, lots of them. They specialize in blackberries and poison oak and there's a good market in that area. It also backs up to BLM land which is a big plus.
We'd definitely stay out of Josephine county. My son is a fraud investigator for an auto insurance co. and that's part of his territory. He says that little Grants Pass has more auto thefts than Portland - by actual count, not per capita. The place is a nightmare for law enforcement.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KC

Fireball2:

So why are you still living there?

KC

Sometimes you have to overlook all the garbage so that life can happen. The only reason I brought it up was because the OP asked, and now he's been warned.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It would be great to get about 2-3 million conservatives to move to the PNW

It's a liberal San Francisco wanna be population and growing. I hate that my vote on anything is just a waste of time. There is no way with the population centers so heavily liberal that a conservative vote means anything.

There was. News story recently called " Portland Oregon where Americas youth goes to retire"

It was about kids 18-30 year olds moving to Portland because of all the social programs to pay their health care, tuition, housing, enough to keep them alive and sleeping in the parks. I'm guessing with the legal pot across the river they will make it legal in Oregon next.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Really - Its the climate

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Really - Its the climate
...but it's changing.

― George Orwell

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You will like the sutherland Roseburg area. We still have lots of relatives there.

Huge blacktails, native Columbian whitetails, coyotes abound, lots of turkeys, a few bears and s few elk in neaarby units.

Quail and Grouse as well.

Great fishing in the Umpqua and the coast is nearby.

It is heavily hunted but a lot of folks never get far from a road.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Portland is a lot of things.

A complete chit hole filled with drugged out losers is one. But it also has a lot to offer. Some great restaurants, beer and wine, and many big city amenities.

There is even some good bass fishing in town.

From a hunting perspective, I'd much rather be across the border in Idaho, but there are some solid opportunities in OR.

I wouldn't move to OR unless it was a hell of a job offer.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Lou_270
All,

I am looking at potential move to Portland, OR area for a job opportunity. I've done a bit of research on hunting opps in the state, but the info is pretty general so hoping to get some realities to those familiar with hunting/living in the state. I don't have a ton of time to make the decision once in motion and the reality is most of my time is looking at the career opp/family/housing side of it so hoping somebody familiar can give a good summary. Thanks in advance!

Lou
If you're working in Portland, remember that it's just across the river from Vancouver, WA. A lot of people commute so check out the situation in WA. No, I don't have the answers. I just know that a lot of people do that.

― George Orwell

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 163bc, 1234, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,996
Posts18,499,975
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.