Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We don't have it tough at all here in eastern Oregon at 4,500 ft compared to many others here, but I've found it near comedy watching the news the last couple of days.

Two and 1/2 to 3 inches of snow in Atlanta, Ga and the place is paralyzed for 2 days. We wouldn't even break out the plows for 2 1/2 inches. The real travesty is that half the population is blaming the government for not warning them and/or failing to clear thousands of miles of streets and highways within an hour or so. I live on the other side of this nation, and even I knew it was coming. Don't they have phones, radios, or TV's there?

We can do 2 1/2 feet overnight, the buses run in the AM, kids get to school, and everyone goes to work. If there happens to be an away basketball game in the nearest town (70 miles one way), the team loads up and goes. Since the fall of 1982, they have canceled school exactly once in this community.

Over my life I've seen snow in Texas, Florida, and southern California. PREP FOR IT PEOPLE. Buy a shovel and some chains for your rig and practice installing/using both. With half of the new rigs being all wheel drive, there's not really that much need for chains in the first place. I get by 99.9% of the time with just good quality radials.

We have 5 rigs in our driveway, three have two sets of chains aboard, and the remaining two 1 set. In all of the years here (n=32), I've chained up once and that was at 7,500 ft in Wyoming on an elk hunt. Exercise a little common sense, and one can drive on packed snow and ice from Nov through Feb without incident.

IDIOTS!

Last edited by 1minute; 01/30/14.

1Minute
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep it is winter....deal with it!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
people in south La. just aren't used to ice and snow....and the government nannies of course overreact to everything these days

I've got a 4WD pickup with mudders, but most people don't and wouldn't know how to drive if they hit ice anyway

now, if you'd like to try on a 20 foot storm surge for size, we'll talk weather wimps, amigo

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute

. The real travesty is that half the population is blaming the government for not warning them and/or failing to clear thousands of miles of streets and highways within an hour or so. I live on the other side of this nation, and even I knew it was coming. Don't they have phones, radios, or TV's there?

IDIOTS!

Indeed. Nannystatism at its worst. They knew it was coming, they were warned, yet they got out on the road without any snow tires, sent the kiddies off to school, etc. Why didn't they just stay home? Why should the governor or the mayor be held at fault for these peoples bad decisions.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
people in south La. just aren't used to ice and snow....and the government nannies of course overreact to everything these days

I've got a 4WD pickup with mudders, but most people don't and wouldn't know how to drive if they hit ice anyway

now, if you'd like to try on a 20 foot storm surge for size, we'll talk weather wimps, amigo

Why do you think I live in WY? I don't like being under water. People have forgotten the laws of physics wink

IC B2

1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
20 foot storm surge for size

Went out of Homer halibut fishing during one of those. Only two boats left the harbor that day. We made it to the grounds, the captain announced our arrival, and then noted that we would not be staying. Amazing what a boat can get through.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That reminds me of a halibut fishing trip out of Neah Bay eek

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by eh76

Why do you think I live in WY? I don't like being under water. People have forgotten the laws of physics wink

yeah, I reckon you're safe unless you get a 7,000 foot storm surge. wink

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Snow and ice for us isn't any different than heat for yall.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
isn't any different than heat for yall

Quite true. We whine when it gets to 80 degrees, but we still get out and go.

1Minute
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yep it is winter....deal with it!

++1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I took these pictures on I59 near my house yesterday. These are OTR truck drivers that drive all over the country in all kinds of winter weather and they still ended up in the ditch. It wasn't 2" of snow, it was 2" of mix that turned to a solid sheet of ice overnight. None of you snickering Yankees would have done any better on it. I've lived all over the country & driven in all kinds of winter weather, these roads were the worst I've ever seen. 2' of fluffy snow in Minnesota isn't the same. I'd love to have seen some of those running their mouths about "southern drivers" come & show us how it's done. They'd be the first in the ditch.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Texczech
Snow and ice for us isn't any different than heat for yall.

I lived in Texas when I was a kid and it gets hot here over 100 but no humididity wink dry heat. However at our elevation you would sun burn like an albino laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Uh crow hunter....trucks end up like that here just because the wind blows....on a regular basis....ever seen half of a double wide modular home on its roof on an interstate exit ramp?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You got me there. It wouldn't be bad here if folks would just slow down in ice or snow,but they won't and we get what you see on the news. Me personally any thing below 30 is too cold, just makes my bones hurt. I have a lot of respect for those that keep on going when it gets cold like you have it.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

yeah, I reckon you're safe unless you get a 7,000 foot storm surge. wink

I've seen them meteor movies and the tidal waves pard.... shocked

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You are right, I don't know the first thing about driving on snow or ice.

Not many OTR tankers out and about and I cannot see chain racks on the van.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We had an unusually "bad" frost event here , in Sierra Vista, Az., and around the general western district, some recent years back.

Some valving, and "Apportionment" problems in the main NG line saw fairly large, and reputedly "Upscale" neighborhoods without Natural Gas service.

There were initial frost problems at some of the municipal pump stations. Think , "No speakee frezee", and a general paucity of basic Physics,......any gut therefor.

Without the forced air heat normally present in what I'd call the residential "Plastic Gin Palaces",.....the Water Company's flagging line pressure failed. Frost permeated poorly insulated outer walls, lines froze, and large blocks of homes were without NUTTIN'. eek

The well documented sequel to this MINOR event is what riveted me,....and attracted my somewhat morbid attention.

On the heels of this,.....ALL store shelves were virtually EMPTY of bottled water.

The crowds that had cleaned off the shelves re-formed again the following day,.......and there was NO bottled water.

Their's had all been expended FLUSHING TOILETS.

...we do have certain "standards" to maintain,....right ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Scott F
You are right, I don't know the first thing about driving on snow or ice.

Not many OTR tankers out and about and I cannot see chain racks on the van.

Why don't you come on down & offer up your vast experience next time. I'm sure we could use a few more sanctimonious experts to guide us.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think you are in over your head with that comment...trade you some -30F weather tho...

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

713 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 2,874 guests, and 1,491 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,736
Posts18,475,959
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.