-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 39 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 38 39
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ed, went to the farm so I could see if the 30/40 was going to blow up. Still have my face. No problems with it.
Now to get the 30/40 out to the range on a bench see what I can shoot with it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
That is good news! What did you do, have someone else shoot it? eek grin

I had an embarrassing time last weekend. I went hog hunting and MISSED a clear shot at a huge hog that was less than 100 yards away. I'm shooting my .458WM, with handloads that I used to hit pig silhouettes at 350 yards with, and I can't hit a 350lb+ hog standing broadside at less than 100 yards cry

Missed him clean. By the time I reloaded, he was in the brush and gone. mad

Went to the range the next morning and discovered that I had left the sight setting for 350 yards (it's an old Redfield aperture sight), not returning it to my usual 100 yard zero.
I was hitting almost 16" high at 100 yards. blush

Hunted the rest of the week and didn't get a shot at anything except a boar Javelina and I didn't take that as I was waiting for Hogzilla to show up.

You can bet I will have fresh handloads and be zero'ed in come the first of April! grin

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 01/31/14. Reason: Punctuation, spelin, and stuff

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like something I would have done (and have done)!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brother backed away about 25 yards and I shot. Did have some safety glasses.

Shot it 4 times and it didn't blow up so I said all is good.
Sounds like you had a fun hunt. I just take my 223. Works for me.

The little stinker pig. They smell just like a skunk when skinning. Made my boys skin it out. cool

Last edited by Wtxj; 01/31/14.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
I should have taken Blue up on his offer to shoot his scoped rifle in the failing light, but no, I had to be hard headed and shoot my rifle.

I'm still waiting to blood that rifle.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wtxj

Nice. That one will do for a few years. Motor?

3.5L twin turbo "Ecoboost". 3.73 gears w. electronic locking diff. 4x4, of course.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Nice. That one will do for a few years. Motor?

3.5L twin turbo "Ecoboost". 3.73 gears w. electronic locking diff. 4x4, of course.

Didn't know Ford was putting lockers on the F150. Got stuck in a one wheel drive F150 back in the 90's out SW of Dryden, Tx. once. Took the men in green (BP) came out there and saved my butt. I was walking out. Wrecker to get me out and moving again.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Went into the Metroplex today to visit with #1 son and stopped at the new Spec's liquor store in Plano.

Picked up a bottle of Soldeica Pisco (Peruvian Pisco, of course grin) in anticipation of Sponxx's masterpiece.

Ed

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
smile

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
My lovely bride asked how many different shooting events we were going to have and then started making suggestions.

I'm thinking we need to settle on what we want to do. The time will most certainly fly by, so let's put our heads together and come up with some fun stuff.

Longbows/recurves

Prairie Dog Shoot

Pre-WWI Military Rifle Shoot

200yd .22LR Shoot

Handgun Shoot (Dueling Tree!)

BP Shoot

Clay Birds?

What say you folks?

Ed

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
� I'm still waiting to blood that rifle.

One of these days, I may tell you � in private � what I first blooded it with. Mercy killing. No sport or satisfaction to it.

Let's just say for now that a 550-grain Ideal cast gas-check greatly over-penetrated � in the face and out the ass. As Jack McPhee said it, "went down like an armload of wet fish nets."

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm hoping to build my own list of "over-penetration" stories. grin
I picked up some wheel weights a couple of weeks ago and need to get casting for it.

Ed

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ed.i have a dualing tree,and some other 550 steel swinger targets,i can bring a small pig,8-10" squares, and a turkey,and some handgun targets,what else do you need? how about a big bore shoot> would love to see every ones big bore rifles. rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am eyeing a couple of different Ruger #1's, in .450 Nitro. They are a limited edition, with Circassian wood.

.458's and .416 Rigby #1's are fairly easy to find. And I already have a nice .45-70. The .450 Nitro #1's have "C" weight barrels. Which means they weigh only about 8 lbs, so I guess you can carry it all day, and stand to shoot it once per day grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RIO7
Ed.i have a dualing tree,and some other 550 steel swinger targets,i can bring a small pig,8-10" squares, and a turkey,and some handgun targets,what else do you need? how about a big bore shoot> would love to see every ones big bore rifles. rio7

Blue, The Dueling Tree, a pig, a turkey, and a couple of 8"-10" swingers would be great. I'd hate to overload your trailer. grin

I'm all for a big bore shoot! Calibers starting with ".40" and up? 50 & 100 yards? Shooting for groups or something similar to the Prairie Dog Shoot? Maybe have a "Double Gun" Prairie Dog Shoot?

There HAS to be a BPCR shoot. I only have 400 yards, but perhaps we can come up with something challenging.

Ed

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I am eyeing a couple of different Ruger #1's, in .450 Nitro. They are a limited edition, with Circassian wood.
.458's and .416 Rigby #1's are fairly easy to find. And I already have a nice .45-70. The .450 Nitro #1's have "C" weight barrels. Which means they weigh only about 8 lbs, so I guess you can carry it all day, and stand to shoot it once per day grin

I guess you'll be really busy if you shoot all of your calibers at the Bog Bore Shoot! laugh

Ed

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Went into the Metroplex today to visit with #1 son and stopped at the new Spec's liquor store in Plano.

Picked up a bottle of Soldeica Pisco (Peruvian Pisco, of course grin) in anticipation of Sponxx's masterpiece.

Ed

Great, that means mixing for at least 3 bottles.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Ed

Great, that means mixing for at least 3 bottles.

Think Sponxx will mind playing bartender? grin

My bar-tending skills are limited to opening wine bottles, beer cans and bottles, pouring shots, and my piece-de-resistance, a gin & tonic. grin

Ed

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
ED,between my pickup and trailer i wont have a problem hauling targets, will need some help unloading and setting them up where you want them. looking forward to visiting with everyone. rio7

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My lovely bride asked how many different shooting events we were going to have and then started making suggestions.

I'm thinking we need to settle on what we want to do. The time will most certainly fly by, so let's put our heads together and come up with some fun stuff.

Longbows/recurves

Prairie Dog Shoot

Pre-WWI Military Rifle Shoot

200yd .22LR Shoot

Handgun Shoot (Dueling Tree!)

BP Shoot

Clay Birds?

What say you folks?

Ed

Yes it's time. Will need to buy a 12 volt battery for the clay machine if we will use it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 15 of 39 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 38 39

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 1badf350, 204guy, 65 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,511
Posts18,509,390
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.