Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#8531657 01/31/14
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm currently gathering gear for a whitetail hunt in Saskatchewan and I still need to purchase a liner sock for my pac boots.

The hunt will be stationary in a stand from sun up till sun down, but I would still like to use the socks when hunting at home, so I would like a high quality sock.

Rather than read a mind-numbing amount of reviews on Cabelas web site, I would just assume ask here.

Thanks for the input.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

GB1

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I always wear a liner sock. Either in a high basin in Montana in November, Chukar hunting the Utah desert in Sept., or climbing utility poles all across the country. They really do help wick moisture and prevent blisters. I like the Cabelas ones, mostly because they are only 15 min from my house.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I dont hunt without them. Keeps a dry layer against your feet as they wick so well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always hunt or hike with a liner sock. I usually end up with a Wig-Wam or a Thorlo. However, if you feet are small enough (mine are 14's) Walmart sells a size 6-12 white dress sock that folks have said makes an excellent liner. I used to buy them for my sons when they were smaller-- cheap, sturdy, did the trick.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've used cabela's and fox river. I don't see much difference between the brands.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Use Smartwool Merino wool liner/undersock....have been very pleased.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I buy mine from REI, polypro, either online or from the store if I'm passing through Albuquerque. They are affordable, work like they are supposed to and last for years.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm partial to the Cabela's midcalf poly liner although I've not done a lot of exploring of other brands.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by DoeDumper
I dont hunt without them. Keeps a dry layer against your feet as they wick so well.

Same here.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Always use a liner.

Used poly-pro for years and switched to Merino wool this year. I wish I had made the switch years ago.

Sierra Trading Post has good prices on close-outs.

It's a good day for something.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What has been working for me is Cabela's Thermax over-the-calf liner - two pack for $13.99. The heel does not wear out as fast as some liners do.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I use Cabelas. I have both the over the calf and mid calf. I have a tough time wearing them out. I use them in cold weather and i use them in florida with my snake boots. I really like them.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I too, always use a liner sock. I've found that they reduce heel rub and add to the comfort of my merino socks. If you do a lot of stalking, walking and climbing they are a necessity IMHO.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use smart wool thin liner sock

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I'm walking alot, I always use a liner. If I'm stationary, I wear one of a variety of Smartwool socks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
http://darntough.com/

Phenominal product here.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Another trick that makes a big difference for me is to spray my feet with unscented antiperspirant, then liner sock + wool sock.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Use Smartwool Merino wool liner/undersock....have been very pleased.

I picked up several pair of these at the LL Bean outlet store in Maine this weekend for $5 a pair.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
anyone carry a spare set of socks and change them out?
my feet have great circulation which means they sweat very easily, I found I would get my feet too warm and then they sweat and then get cold FAST if I stopped.

if I was doing a hunt like the OP is, I would get one of those boot buddy things that goes over the boots, or battery powered socks to change into once on stand if the temps are expected to be really cold. otherwise if temps are only around 0* and above, I'd just swap out socks when I got to the stand. can't go wrong with wool. and not the blended crap that is grey cotton, handmade pure wool is the best.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
anyone carry a spare set of socks and change them out?
my feet have great circulation which means they sweat very easily, I found I would get my feet too warm and then they sweat and then get cold FAST if I stopped.

if I was doing a hunt like the OP is, I would get one of those boot buddy things that goes over the boots, or battery powered socks to change into once on stand if the temps are expected to be really cold. otherwise if temps are only around 0* and above, I'd just swap out socks when I got to the stand. can't go wrong with wool. and not the blended crap that is grey cotton, handmade pure wool is the best.

I had a guy that regularly hunts Canada tell me the same thing; if walking very far to the stand, carry an extra pair of socks to change into once on stand.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (2500HD, 160user, 222ND, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,608
Posts18,511,652
Members74,007
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.