Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Snotwad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
A widow lady at my church has asked my advice, I told her I didn't know the answer, but I knew where to look.
Her late husband left her about a hundred guns ( rifles, pistols, and shotguns) as well as a lot of misc shooting and hunting stuff. She is not pressed for money, but would like to dispose of it at a fair value. She doesn't want to do a yard sale type of thing as she is hesitant to expose herself to potential thieves.
What is the best advice from ya'll?

Wake up, smell the politician, and re-elect nobody.

"Nee how,nega bin da" (Mandarin: "Hello,dumb a$$)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Snotwad
A widow lady at my church has asked my advice, I told her I didn't know the answer, but I knew where to look.
Her late husband left her about a hundred guns ( rifles, pistols, and shotguns) as well as a lot of misc shooting and hunting stuff. She is not pressed for money, but would like to dispose of it at a fair value. She doesn't want to do a yard sale type of thing as she is hesitant to expose herself to potential thieves.
What is the best advice from ya'll?

auction quality guns ,or a private buyer that can be trusted, either one will take 20% or a little more.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It'll take work, but she needs to inventory the collection describing all aspects, markings, serial numbers, condition, etc. and, completely photograph each gun. This could be sent to a reputable auction house (Rock Island Auction Company, Heritage Auctions, etc.) to ascertain their interest and fees.

It's a lot of work, but necessary to get max value. She'll need some knowledgeable help in doing this and she probably lacks the knowledge personally (i.e., what's a serial number?, what's a caliber?, what's condition mean?, etc.). Perhaps you can help and charge her a small percentage.

Otherwise, she's a the mercy of scalpers.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
she's a the mercy of scalpers.

miracle of understatement, and marginalization there.

We are COMMANDED to protect Widows.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did the same thing djs advised for my sister-in-law last year. It was abit of "work" but I enjoyed it as well. I photographed all the guns, noted the serial numbers and gave her a "don't sell for less than" figure and an appx current realistic asking price.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's not an option.

it's something that we're SUPPOSED to do.

calling the vermin that prey on Widows "scalpers", just seems completely WRONG.

"Predatory Vermin in need of less Oxygen" works better for me.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
she's a the mercy of scalpers.

miracle of understatement, and marginalization there.

We are COMMANDED to protect Widows.

GTC

Yes, we are.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Did Ya ever notice how scalpers hate to be outed as scalpers, just like Obama hates to hear illegals called illegal aliens? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have done it more than once here, much to the displeasure of a couple of local "dealers".

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
She will get the most money & a fair market price by having someone list them for her on GunBroker. A lot of Dealers will try to low ball her on the prices.
Anyone who would take advantage of a widow needs the ShiiTT kicked out of them.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
it is incumbent upon us, to be pro active when it comes to things like this.
Every one of us, married or not, should already have an inventory of our things. We should already have made arrangements for the distribution, or disposal of our favorite or expensive possessions.
I keep a list in the safe, with a complete description of every gun and knife. I list when I got them, from whom, what I paid, and what the value is. If an item were modified, I note who did the work, and when.
I have two people lined up to handle the sale or distribution chores.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Djs actually had some good advice. See if a couple fellas can pitch in and catalog each gun.

Fair prices would have most guns sold on this board in fairly short order, I'd reckon. A diverse lot of collectors and shooters here.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I second putting them on GB. They will sell for what they are worth if properly photographed and listed.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Once she knows a fair value, take them to a gun buyback and wait for collectors to make an offer.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
inventory and appraise them at fair value and then buy her a table at the next gun show and help her sell them

for your trouble offer her a fair price on a gun would would like

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here we are again, someone passes away and his family has no clue as to the value of his stuff.

PLEASE, fellers, take of photo of all your guns, annotate the photo with some text as to what is is, value, etc. Put the photos on a disc and make a few copies to be distributed around, like in the safe, the safe deposit box, etc. Do the same with your other valuable possessions. Update at least once a year.

Do it for your family.

[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
It's not an option.

it's something that we're SUPPOSED to do.

"Predatory Vermin in need of less Oxygen" works better for me.

GTC
i

I agree 100%,Greg. My training partner is as canny a gun trader as I've ever bargained with, but on 2 occasions he's taken on a Woodrow's inherited gun collections and done the right thing by her in both cases. He asked me to audit his work and report to the widow independently, too.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
100 guns on gunbroker would take a lot of time and work and money for shipping, FFL fees, etc. i'd inventory the collection and figure out a high, mid, low price for all pieces and then contact an experienced gun auctioneer and see how he operates. the gun auctions i have been to in the past 10 years have been a real sellers market. i can't believe the prices some people pay at an auction. of course, the auctioneer will get his piece.

if she has any especially rare or valuable pieces, i'd try the gunbroker route for them. the others, i'd do a local auction.

i have a complete inventory of my guns with price paid and what i consider fair market value.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My brother received a similar request, he is a MAJOR gun nut. He supplied the widow with a list of three different businesses that would handle the selling of her inventory.

He saw all three offers and was surprised that two of the businesses were offering what he believed to be 50% of the fair market value. She went with the highest bidder and was very happy with the out come. She offered my brother his choice of any of the firearms, there were several worth over $10k, for his help. He said the offer was FAR to generous, accepted a hug for his payment but I continue to hear him complain about not having accepted one of the high walls.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
90% of this has been good advise .

mabey T Lee being in Florida could help even if he just looked and got a good idea what is there and then make a recommendation.

poster said lady from his church have you got a handle on what she has??

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1minute, 01Foreman400, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,567
Posts18,491,832
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.