Print Thread
Hop To
#8535270 02/01/14
B
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I just had my first experience with a hang fire. They are reloads and I have now had two in the last box I reloaded. I didn't time it, but it seemed like a minute before they went off.

Anyone have experience with this and can offer my some solutions.

Thank you in advance.

Texas bred and born
HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It doesn't sound like you are getting the primers seated fully. Make sure that the primer is at least, if not a hair below flush. If you're pockets haven't been uniformed, then flush is about all you will be able to get depending on the brass. Don't be afraid to put some pressure on that press handle. They don't have enough leverage in that direction to have anything happen that would be unsafe or to damage the primer.

I use a primer pocket uniformer to cut all the pockets to the same depth and to square the bottom so the primer sits flat. I also use a hand priming tool so that you can feel the primer bottom out, then squeeze just a bit more. Primers need to be seated fully and have some pressure on them to work reliably.

If you have a bullet puller, you can disassemble the rest of your rounds and re-seat the primers in them. If they aren't seated properly, what you basically end up doing is trying to finish seating it with the firing pin. And that doesn't work very well.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'd think about pulling the bullets, dumping the powder back in the can and firing the primers only.
It would narrow down the search pretty quick.
If they are not flush and take 2 strikes to fire, seat the primers down as FC363 has stated.
If they all are flush with the bottom of the case and fire when struck, It's may be an old powder issue or tumbling media in the flash hole.
If they are flush and you still have hang-fires, it likely primer or firing pin issues.
Good luck with your search!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

B
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
thanks for the tips fellows......headed out to the reloading room right now

Texas bred and born
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only addition I can make to their advice is to make sure you go change your shorts. smile

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Details would help.

Primer, powder, brass, cartridge?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I have had one. A friend loaded some 260 Rem ammo for me before I started reloading.

Rem Brass
140 NPT
RL19
CCI200 - apperantly he seated the primers with his thumb

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Details would help.

300 Win Mag
Federal LRM
RL22
Winchester brass

Texas bred and born
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by colodog
dumping the powder back in the can

I don't think I would do that. The problem could be contaminated powder.

I had some hangfires with a 45/70 and light loads with a lot of empty space in the case.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by brush_buster
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Details would help.

300 Win Mag
Federal LRM
RL22
Winchester brass

Nothing here raises alarm bells. Although, I've had a bad batch of Fed 215's in the past. About 1 in 10 wouldn't go off.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

384 members (257wthbylover, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 17,510 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,991
Posts18,540,198
Members74,053
Most Online21,066

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.