Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
All aluminum anodizing is not created equal. There are a number of different processes in common use, all of which can be done well or poorly.

Last edited by OregonCoot; 02/01/14.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheKuskokid
It's just DuPont paint. Think about it. People painting their rifle. To each their own.

And this is why you should never believe anything you read on the internet. Sigh.

You are likely confusing it with Duracoat, which I heard was possibly Dupont Polane. Anyways, Cerakote is NOTHING like Duracoat, don't even begin to compare the two as the same.

Cerakote (baked on, not air dry) is a great product that holds up well and does live up to its promises. I'd like to try Birdsong finishes too one day, heard lots of good things, but until then it's Cerakote for me.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OregonCoot
All aluminum anodizing is not created equal. There are a number of different processes in common use, all of which can be done well or poorly.

That's neither here nor there really. This thread refers to completely different process. Anodized materials, whether done correctly or not, cannot rust. Rust is a function of ferrous metals, oxidation. Oxidation of not-ferrous metals is generally called corrosion. A previous poster talked about rusty screws. That would make them steel, probably blued when used in conjunction with anodized aluminum bases. I was only pointing out a minor error in communication (and perhaps understanding.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If the screws were steel and attached to an aluminum object then there could have been some galvanic action (electrolysis) going on. This is often identified by a white material deposited. Rust on steel or iron is usually brownish-orange in color.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The screws were in a steel pictanny rail with warne rings.
Since then, work I've had done included cerakoting my bases and rings, in this case on Kodiak, my mounting hardware was factory finish.
Based on opinions here, the screws were orangish and likely the byproduct of contact with the matte steel rail.

The overall point is that the cerakoting that Eddie Fosnaugh applied held up perfectly.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jasonkjasonk
Originally Posted by TheKuskokid
It's just DuPont paint. Think about it. People painting their rifle. To each their own.

And this is why you should never believe anything you read on the internet. Sigh.

You are likely confusing it with Duracoat, which I heard was possibly Dupont Polane. Anyways, Cerakote is NOTHING like Duracoat, don't even begin to compare the two as the same.

Cerakote (baked on, not air dry) is a great product that holds up well and does live up to its promises. I'd like to try Birdsong finishes too one day, heard lots of good things, but until then it's Cerakote for me.

+1, good post!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kk alaska
My cerakoated Ruger seems to chip easily, bolt handle wear muzzle wear. Small chips Graphite Black in color. after 2 years?
May have been guy that did job local, but a little disappointed. Touched up areas with Krylon.

Sounds like it was glass bead blasted or not degreased. ...my money on the first.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
+1 on Nitride!

Melonite, ferritic carbonitride, etc. slick, hard surface un-real corrosion resistance, but not cheap.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 10Glocks, 43 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,225
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.