Hop To
#8555525 02/06/14
B
BluMtn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have owned and shot guns for many years. My catalog of choice use to be Shotgun news when they were the premier place to buy guns and accessories. I can remember when you could look through shotgun news and if you knew all the code words in the ads you could order from the different venders all the hardware to build a select fire AR platform. But at that time they were not all the rage like now. I was not into black guns and all my rifles were working guns. My fascination was with the 1911. I would buy all the makings and spend days building a 1911 just the way I wanted it. I shot so much that I sent away and bought a Jet Precision progressive reloader. Which in those days was a huge deal. I ended up using it so much it went back to El Paso TX. twice to get rebuilt. Then I got married the first time and lost interest in shooting as much and when I got married the second time I did not have enough money to play anymore. So my point, if you are still reading this, is I have gone to the dark side and bought my first black rifle. Not because Obama says I can't, but because I am to the point in my life I can start playing again. A bunch of us have been hitting the Yote derbys and I figured my bolt just doen't do the job anymore for this game. The gun I have now is pretty much setup the way I want it except I am changing the grip to a Stark SE-2 because I like a more vertical grip.

Now my question after all my rambling. I put my scope on and even though it sits up high I have a hard time getting to the charge handle. What would be a good ambidextrous charge handle with wings wide enough to grab with a scope. I have looked at the Rainier and the BCM gunfighter. Any others? Second I think I want a 3 point sling, thoughts or suggestions. Have looked at the mag-pul MS3 and 4. This gun has a 24"bull barrel and weighs in at 9.5lbs. So hit me with your best shot.

Thank you, Blu

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ive got a BCM GFH Mod 3 (large) charging handle and love it, easy to grab no matter the optic.....they will go on whatever AR uppers i have in the future....its not ambi but it works great....

Last edited by rattler; 02/06/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is the medium BCM Gunfighter.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Sounds like you may need a scope and mount that allows one to position it farther forward so as not to be over the charging handle. Easiest for manipulation of the charging handle on an AR if the ocular lens is forward of the charging handle.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd also recommend trying a VTAC padded two point sling. Three points are a hassle to wear and get in and out of.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hound_va
Sounds like you may need a scope and mount that allows one to position it farther forward so as not to be over the charging handle. Easiest for manipulation of the charging handle on an AR if the ocular lens is forward of the charging handle.

try one of these BCM handles wink mine is simple to run grabbing just the one side and they are designed to take the stress off the roll pin so that you can without busting it....get a BCM charging handle and put the scope where works best for you.....

68W Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I'd also recommend trying a VTAC padded two point sling. Three points are a hassle to wear and get in and out of.

I can't echo this enough. I had a 3 point in Iraq issued to me for an M16A4 (that's a 20" musket) and they are a nightmare! VTAC padded is fantastic.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Hound_va

This.

I'm not against extended latches, wait, yes I am. Having one dig into you while slung will do that I guess. Besides who here has broken a latch?

Skip the 3 point nonsense and I'm not sure I'd use anything but a standard carry strap on a 24" bull barrel muzzle up. Having that long of a barrel hanging down is sure to cause problems.

B
BluMtn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
OK, Looks like I have some options. As far as the scope issue I don't know but the way I have it setup right now when I mount the rifle everything falls into place from cheek weld to clearview in the scope. My bolts don't fit me this well so I will probably leave the scope where it is for now. Keep it coming and thanks for the input so far.

Blu

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use the BCM VLTOR Bravo Co MOD A44 Ambidextrous charging handle on most of my AR'S.

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Blu, right where you are at so will follow this one.

Originally Posted by BluMtn
OK, Looks like I have some options. As far as the scope issue I don't know but the way I have it setup right now when I mount the rifle everything falls into place from cheek weld to clearview in the scope. My bolts don't fit me this well so I will probably leave the scope where it is for now. Keep it coming and thanks for the input so far.

Blu

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

182 members (12344mag, 338rcm, 10Glocks, 44mc, 470Evans, 17 invisible), 1,647 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,455
Posts18,507,971
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.