Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
tweeter Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I had a few sips (ok, gulps... ok rock glasses) of Bulleit rye last night and I am impressed. It is definitely better than the stuff that was in the back of my folks liquor cabinet growing up. I'm going to swing by the Liquor store on my way around town today, but I don't remember there being a Large "Rye Section" ( probably just didn't notice). Any Ideas on what would be comparable to Bulleit, in case they don't carry it?

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Can't remember how much rye there is in Bulleit, but I don't recall that it's 100%. That said, I'd like to try it one day.

tweeter Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
It says it is 95% rye. I always thought of Rye as the "Rock and Rye" that is probably still in my parents liquor cabinet... terrible stuff!
I really enjoyed the epiphany.

Last edited by tweeter; 02/08/14.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I really like the taste of rye, but must be allergic to it. Two sips and it's hayfever time.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Well, that's plenty close!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Old Overholt is a traditional rye. We used to call it Old Overcoat.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If you can find this 18 yr. old one, then treat yourself. It's top of the line.

[Linked Image]

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Picked up one of these in limited quantities. I believe there are a series of 2 more behind this release and that's it.

[Linked Image]

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Love me a Sazerac cocktail

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I haven't hada lot of rye but the Wild Turkey and Beam ryes I have tried I did enjoy

You do not have to have had a psychotic episode to work here, it just saves time!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tweeter
I had a few sips (ok, gulps... ok rock glasses) of Bulleit rye last night and I am impressed. It is definitely better than the stuff that was in the back of my folks liquor cabinet growing up. I'm going to swing by the Liquor store on my way around town today, but I don't remember there being a Large "Rye Section" ( probably just didn't notice). Any Ideas on what would be comparable to Bulleit, in case they don't carry it?
Yes. I'm currently out of Bulleit Rye. Regular Bulleit Bourbon is excellent. Their Rye is okay, but spendy for what it is. High West Rendezvous Rye is the best I've ever tasted, but it is expensive. It's small batch and I've had bottles of it that weren't as good. I'd rate it tops though. I don't much care for Beam Rye. For an inexpensive Rye, George Dickel Rye is pretty good.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm beginning to think just about any bottle of 20 something rye or bourbon is gonna be decent...differences between them for sure, but nice.

I like both WT and George Dickel rye. Picked up a bottle of Bulleit bourbon yesterday. To me it has a kind of musty tone ...like it. Will get the rye soon, not much doubt I'm gonna like that.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tweeter
http://www.highwest.com/spirits/

You won't find this stuff at your average ma and pa liquor store. Rendezvous is much better than Double Rye which, IIRC is cheaper. I have not tried the other two types they have.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kinda funny, I have not had rye in years. I drink pretty much bourbon(or Jack) exclusively. I know they have Bulleit and Beam close by, and probably several others.

May give rye a try........

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sse
I'm beginning to think just about any bottle of 20 something rye or bourbon is gonna be decent...differences between them for sure, but nice.

I like both WT and George Dickel rye. Picked up a bottle of Bulleit bourbon yesterday. To me it has a kind of musty tone ...like it. Will get the rye soon, not much doubt I'm gonna like that.
Bulleit's Bourbon is what I keep on hand a lot. For something that is what I'd characterize as mid-range, price wise, it is excellent. I've drank some pretty expensive American whiskeys and I don't think the gain you get for the true top-shelf stuff is enough to merit its price, generally speaking.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I drink manhattans on the rocks and my go to rye is "Fleichman's". It's not yer top shelf stuff but my wife and I really enjoy it. It is blended American whiskey. I prefer it over the Canadian whiskey's but that's just my opinion.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I don't think the gain you get for the true top-shelf stuff is enough to merit its price, generally speaking.

+1

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Try Pendleton's 2010 Rye. The 2010 commemerates the 100th anniversary of the Pendleton Round-Up. It's spendy at $39.95 for a 750 mm bottle but very good.

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For a moderately priced rye, you simply cannot do better than Bulleit. Rittenhouse has a little more pop, but not as smooth. James Pepper and Russel's Reserve a little more spendy, nice in their own way. Templeton, very smooth and a little less proof than most ryes. If someone else is buying the bottle, try Whistlepig, very excellent. If YOU are buying and want the best, try Willett Family Single Barrel Reserve, 110 proof of rye goodness.

But if I could only keep one rye around, it would be Bulleit.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Russell's Reserve is where it's at! I love the stuff!

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (38HBWC, 808outdoors, 35, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 11 invisible), 2,043 guests, and 862 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,025
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.