Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Shoot however you want, but if you can't hit crap past 10 yards, you might want to reevaluate your philosophy.

That's funny right there, I always say instinctive works best between 10 and 25 yards where the gap is about the same......

Not saying it can't be done, but I sure do shoot better with a reference and consistent form.

Last edited by centershot; 01/30/14.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've seen some mighty fine shooters that claimed to shoot instinctive. I always thought they were gappers and either didn't know it or wouldn't admit it.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I would think that instinctive shooters might be better served by turning the bow on it's side and drawing it back down low to their waistline or mid chest. Then there wouldn't be anyone thinking that they were actually looking at the arrow.

Drawing the nock back to your face right below your eyes makes it seem like you are looking, pointing, (aiming) at where you want the arrow to go.

I have shot drawn to the chest many times frog hunting or goofing around and it worked just fine. We were emulating how we thought Indians may have shot at close range off of horseback. Out to ten yards you can do pretty good.

I wouldn't hunt whitetails that way, even at ten yards. I would draw back to my face so I could see where the arrow was pointed. Even if I imagined that it was invisible.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This!

Originally Posted by ltppowell

That said, when I pick up my longbow, it's for just the opposite reason, to become a better hunter...not a better archer. We all enjoy different challenges.

Arcus Venator
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not This!
I'm just the opposite. I don't even care about hunting with a bow. I enjoy it, but only go when some of my friends want to bowhunt. I like the discipline that it takes to make a great shot with trad equipment. When I hit a quarter size target at 20 yards with a recurve or longbow I have a much greater sense of accomplishment than doing it with a sighted compound because I know the difference in practice and discipline that it takes with the longbow or recurve.

I may be able to shoot well, but I could certainly use some lessons in bowhunting.

Arcus Venator
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm both of those CRS - which seems to really be a crazy thought. Shooting targets to help shoot accurately when bowhunting. Seems very logical to me, but for some reason taking the wheels off and shooting targets is taboo.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by CRS
This!

Originally Posted by ltppowell

That said, when I pick up my longbow, it's for just the opposite reason, to become a better hunter...not a better archer. We all enjoy different challenges.

I told you what I enjoy. Again I ask why do you think you can't be both a hunter and archer?

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those two posts were just expressing my passion. Absolutely you can be both. I choose to be a bowhunter.

If I couldn't bowhunt, I would not pick up a bow.

I sincerely respect your ability, I simply do not have the natural ability to be a great archer.

I would love to shoot some arrows with you, hopefully it would be in a hunting camp though. smile

Last edited by CRS; 01/31/14.

Arcus Venator
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by CRS
Those two posts were just expressing my passion. Absolutely you can be both. I choose to be a bowhunter.

If I couldn't bowhunt, I would not pick up a bow.

I sincerely respect your ability, I simply do not have the natural ability to be a great archer.

I would love to shoot some arrows with you, hopefully it would be in a hunting camp though. smile

My friend, I would love to share a bowhunting camp with you. You do have the ability to be a great archer. I just believe you have been sold the lie that it comes naturally. People with some physical attributes seem to learn a bit faster, but if you are coordinated enough to walk and chew gum at the same time, you can learn archery.

There are a lot of things that handicap new archers that more experienced archers can point out and greatly accelerate the learning curve just like someone who knows how to hunt can teach a new hunter. Saying you don't have the natural ability to be a great archer is like me saying I don't have the natural ability to be a bowhunter. there some that will excel at either or both but the drive to want to and willingness to learn is probably the most important thing.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R H,
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I will keep working at, no doubt.

I have always struggled with the longer shots (>30 yards), limited by my method probably. I think gap shooting would really help in that aspect.

Arcus Venator
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by CRS
R H,
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I will keep working at, no doubt.

I have always struggled with the longer shots (>30 yards), limited by my method probably. I think gap shooting would really help in that aspect.

Find your point on distance, the distance at which you can put your point at exactly six o'clock,with your anchor the same. All that will do is eliminate the sight picture error from the equation. Then you can work on the other elements of the shot. Shooting at distance will really show any errors in form or release. It will also show errors in tuning. When you think you are getting good, try shooting a group of fletched and bare shafts at 40 yards. If your bow is tuned and your form is perfect, they will all group in the same group.

Have you ever bare shaft tuned at 10-20 yards?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Bare shaft tuning is useless chooser the 25 yards. Arrow isn't out of paradox at the shorter distances.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill_375
Bare shaft tuning is useless chooser the 25 yards. Arrow isn't out of paradox at the shorter distances.

I agree that "fine" tuning a bareshaft is useless at shorter distance. But I've seen guys shooting carbons so far out of spine that they couldn't even hit a 4'X 4' soft target at 15 yards. The arrow would slap the target sideways if at all. Starting to tune by selecting different shafts, cutting, or adding weight certainly made a world of difference for them at 15 yards. They went from missing the target to hitting a small spot on it just by getting the correct spine bareshaft. I wouldn't call that useless. I've done this with new trad shooters dozens of times.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have done a bunch of bare shaft tuning. Not going to get into that discussion right now, as my approach is a little out of the ordinary.

Arcus Venator
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I agree that "fine" tuning a bareshaft is useless at shorter distance. But I've seen guys shooting carbons so far out of spine that they couldn't even hit a 4'X 4' soft target at 15 yards. The arrow would slap the target sideways if at all. Starting to tune by selecting different shafts, cutting, or adding weight certainly made a world of difference for them at 15 yards. They went from missing the target to hitting a small spot on it just by getting the correct spine bareshaft. I wouldn't call that useless. I've done this with new trad shooters dozens of times.

Point taken. I've never been that far off in spin selection where a 15 yard target was hard to hit with an arrow.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Bill, I don't think it is likely to be as bad today. This was mostly around 7 years ago dealing with trad guys just starting to shoot carbons. There is a much greater wealth of knowledge regarding selection of carbon shafts today, floating around the net.

I completely agree that bareshafting is best done at greater distance, but you also have to factor in how well a guy can shoot. Until someone can shoot a good group, they are mostly chasing their tail trying to really fine tune bareshafts at farther than 20-25 yards.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For anyone interested I have listed my Bighorn recurve in the classifieds for sale. May not be for someone just starting out as it pulls 65#.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-12
D
DZG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by CRS
Archery-How far you can be from your target and still hit it.
Bowhunting-How close you can be before you shoot.

I wasn't a very successful bowhunter until my hunting ability caught up with my shooting ability. grin

I would agree whole-hearted with that statement. I would add that a walk in the woods stump shooting, up, down, and at different distances is the best way to sharpen your shooting skills.

Last edited by DZG; 02/08/14.

Hunting is about everything you do before you pull the trigger.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by DZG
Originally Posted by CRS
Archery-How far you can be from your target and still hit it.
Bowhunting-How close you can be before you shoot.

I wasn't a very successful bowhunter until my hunting ability caught up with my shooting ability. grin

I would agree whole-hearted with that statement. I would add that a walk in the woods stump shooting, up, down, and at different distances is the best way to sharpen your shooting skills.

I agree, but I think a fellow should work on both at the same time. Hopefully the deer will be within range of one or the other.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 77 invisible), 2,650 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,593
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.