Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
� There is no degree of unique; nothing can be "very unique" or "more unique". �

I could never get any of my engineers to see that their beloved "half infinite" and "near infinity" made no sense at all. Where's halfway to a point that isn't there yet?

Even offered 'em "seemingly infinite," but that wasn't good enough for some reason � or none.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I am, of course, a Czech speller!

While we're on pet peeves, the two that drive me nuts are the misuse of the word "unique" and the pervasive "me and blank did something."

There is no degree of unique; nothing can be "very unique" or "more unique". It does not mean unusual; it means one of a kind.

If you wouldn't say "Me went fishing" then don't say "Me and Joe went fishing." If you would say "I went fishing" then say "Joe and I went fishing."

Of course, there's the equally wrong, but educated-sounding, "They hired Fred and I."

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was also fruitless to try to get 'em to understand that less than one can't be plural � like "0.0005 inches." Five ten thousandths? Yes, of course � but not "five ten-thousandths inches."

Why is that so hard for intelligent people to understand?

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bea175
Originally Posted by milespatton
Proud of being ignorant? miles

You are impressing no one but yourself . Miles Patton remembered for his spelling on the internet. What a crock of chit.

That crock has never been within a hundred miles of Miles.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Efficacy" has crept into common usage. What word did it replace?

And "robust" used to describe a healthy man. Now, engineers use "more robust" instead of simply saying "stronger". [or,"mo' betta"]

And about the time I think I have "affect" and "effect" figured out, I'll see 'em used in a newspaper opposite of what I figured was right.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A mnemonic may help �

[act]ffect (verb)
[end]ffect (noun)

(But any mnemonic is hard to use if you have it tattooed on your knee 'stead o' your brain!) smile

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by milespatton
Do you really need to ask this?

It is what I usually do when I don't know something, instead of trying to bluff my way through. I don't pretend to know it all and do try to learn things. miles

If ever two exact opposites crossed paths on the internet.... this would be it.

Nobody has ever called Miles a Kook.

Lots of guys have met Miles in person.

Miles has a lot of hunting, shooting, and general outdoors experiences to share.

I'm sure I've overlooked other differences.

I, frankly, just like the name--"milespatton".

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No son catches me when I get around fellow southerners, especially if they are from Virginia or West Virginia...

I'll use terms like irregardless.... and A'fer ( instead of Before)... or TAR ARN, for a tire iron...FAR, for fire...

he says it changes pretty quick also....

wonder if they have a southern version of spell check...

they'd need geographical versions...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
...and all you scholar who graduated from the sixth grade need to get over the grammar problems

I was the UIL spelling champ when I was in sixth grade. I do all within my power to apply proper grammar. And, at 55 years of age I still try to learn a new gooder word daily.

Us Southern Boys reinvented the English Language a long time ago and have our own way of speaking and spelling the words.

Not going to argue there.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I don't understand the "space s" suggestion, either. But I do know that most people abuse and misuse the apostrophe. It is almost never used to create a plural, for example.

Wait, what's your sayings' is this mean's that spellchecks' correction's all these year's has had innaccuracie's? I'm shocke'd!

cool

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Donna Fargo was a high school English teacher who made it big with a couple of hit songs.

When she went back to her hometown for a visit, there was a large welcoming committee at the airport.

Among the crowd was a group of her former students with a large banner:

Donna Fargo learnt us english. grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Punctuation saves lives!

Let's eat Grandma.

Let's eat, Grandma.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's worse,

Axed= asked
Acrosst. = across
Then this one: I could care less

Really you care enough that you have some care remaining to be able to reduce your amount of care further?

I think it's " I couldn't care less"

As far as errors, I'm not sure that spell check is improving our lives. I now have an iPad which chooses whole new complete words that I never intended to begin with, sure it's spelled correctly but it's now the wrong word.

There is a website called damn you auto correct. Wow the texts that went in error will knock your socks off!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
� There is no degree of unique; nothing can be "very unique" or "more unique". �

I could never get any of my engineers to see that their beloved "half infinite" and "near infinity" made no sense at all. Where's halfway to a point that isn't there yet?

Even offered 'em "seemingly infinite," but that wasn't good enough for some reason � or none.

I'm not sure what your engineers were doing, but there are different sizes of infinity.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scott F
I must be one of the worst offenders here as far at typographical errors, pitiful spelling, and poor grammar. That said I often catch errors in others posts where I would miss them in mine. I try my best to just read what the poster was intending to say and look for content rather that perfection.

Yeppers, dat is write on!

I'm sure I screw up all the time, but to all those that walk on water, raise your hand.

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Originally Posted by Scott F
I must be one of the worst offenders here as far at typographical errors, pitiful spelling, and poor grammar. That said I often catch errors in others posts where I would miss them in mine. I try my best to just read what the poster was intending to say and look for content rather that perfection.
Yeppers, dat is write on! I'm sure I screw up all the time, but to all those that walk on water, raise your hand.

Well, we all have our limitations and shortcomings - mine are numerous. Then again, walking on water is a very, very special and rare feat - one I have never seen. Use of correct language and punctuation is not so special - just seems to come across as good, proper, respectful effort.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good, proper, and respectful are fine. The punctuation police need to find another hobby.

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The tight interconnection between thought and language has been recognized and studied for a long, long time. Its existence is not a matter of opinion, nor is it open to a Hell of a lot of opinion or to be altered by opinion. It just is, whether we like it or not. Language is the tool that we think with, just as a hammer is a tool that we drive nails with and a screw-driver is a tool that we drive screws with.

It's long been recognized that laziness with language and laziness with thought amount to the same thing. Good thinking requires good language, and scorn for good language is scorn for good thinking. Sloppy language reveals sloppy "thinking," and habitually sloppy language reveals an inability to think with any depth, complexity, impact, or vigor.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I, frankly, just like the name--"milespatton".

Thank you, it was a gift that I received when I was just a young man. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I found some noteworthy typographical errors in an eBay ad for Swarovski binoculars. Spell checkers can only do so much, whether good or bad.

Not sure I'd want to buy these, given where they've seemingly been used...

"Swarovski Optic 8x30 SLC Habitch binoculars"

"...some minor scuff on ovular lenses..."

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (260madman, 1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 264magnum, 1minute, 257 roberts, 59 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,426
Posts18,489,191
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.