Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
Went to El Paso yesterday to find Weaver bases for the Featherweight and no such luck at the two stores we went too. The second store was a LGS and they had two piece Leupold bases and medium height rings,bought those and went home. Put the Leupold 6x42mm scope on and took the rifle out and shot it this morning.

59.0 grs of H-4831SC,Fed 210 Match,180 gr Sierra Pro Hunter is the load that shot best,just under an inch @ 100yds and an average velocity of 2674fps.

As it is in the pic it weighs 7 lbs 14 ozs.
[Linked Image]

Now it needs a trigger job,the pull is 5+ lbs and it needs sling studs.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice rig. Hard to find fault in it other than it's not in my safe. whistle

E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
Thanks Karnis.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You know I like that rifle. Sounds like it's going to be a shooter too. Good weight as far as I'm concerned. Some guys complain about the shape of the factory montecarlo stock. How does it fit you? They fit me like a glove. A rifle just like that one has kicked many a rifle out of my safe, just sayin. By the way, Talley lightweights would look/work good and save you a few more oz's....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nice!!!!

Should be about 8 lbs with a sling which in my opinion is near perfect for an 06 shooting a 180. Light enouph to pack yet just enouph weight to make it pleasant shooting. Nice Balance there in my opinion.

I can appreciate the load you've developed also. The 180 pro hunter between 2600-2700 will wring all the performance right out of em.......and under an inch you can't go wrong there!

The leupold 6x42 is about as classy a way to top it all off as your ever going to find.

Really nice settup...Congrats.

Shod

Last edited by Shod; 02/09/14.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice. I have Weavers on my -06. I don't think I have changed adjustment on the scope since I put it on in the mid 80's. Seems to just keep shooting in the same place year after year.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Very nice. I have Weavers on my -06. I don't think I have changed adjustment on the scope since I put it on in the mid 80's. Seems to just keep shooting in the same place year after year.

The OP was looking for some weavers. I think I gave my last set (with rings) away to a member here. They are tough as heck and pretty light as well. Great combo, but I've since changed most of my rifles over to DD's and Talley lightweights. If I have another set of weavers, I'd hapily send them to the OP.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
You know I like that rifle. Sounds like it's going to be a shooter too. Good weight as far as I'm concerned. Some guys complain about the shape of the factory montecarlo stock. How does it fit you? They fit me like a glove. A rifle just like that one has kicked many a rifle out of my safe, just sayin. By the way, Talley lightweights would look/work good and save you a few more oz's....
The stock fits me fine. As far as the Talley lightweights,thought of those also and sometime in the future.

Also the Talley's do look good on a Featherweight,these are on my 7x57.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice rifles, both...

Molon Labe
E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Shod
Nice!!!!

Should be about 8 lbs with a sling which in my opinion is near perfect for an 06 shooting a 180. Light enouph to pack yet just enouph weight to make it pleasant shooting. Nice Balance there in my opinion.

I can appreciate the load you've developed also. The 180 pro hunter between 2600-2700 will wring all the performance right out of em.......and under an inch you can't go wrong there!

The leupold 6x42 is about as classy a way to top it all off as your ever going to find.

Really nice settup...Congrats.

Shod
Thank you Shod. The group measured something like .997" and IMO that's pretty darn good for any rifle. wink

The 6x42 was going to go on a .35 Whelen,but at the second LGS they had some Zeiss Terra scopes. One was a 2x-7x that may find it's way onto the Whelen.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That 6x42 is a nice scope and looks great on your rifle..

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
Thanks WYC and BSA. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Do not forsake your 7x57 for this latest flame�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
Well Ingwe right now I'm thinking of taking both Featherweights bear hunting this fall in Arizona,but that's in November so it could change..couple times...or more.. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (12344mag, 16gage, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 160user, 16penny, 52 invisible), 2,784 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,493
Posts18,490,429
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.