Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 4th_point

Anyone that has a barrel throated to suit the mag would seem smart enough to realize the above?

You would think so....but I wouldn't bet on it.

There was a pair of guys on here working with some rem clone action or another with a small loading port; they were extolling the virtues of their OAL and how accurate it made their rifles....one commented that loaded rounds would not clear the port on ejection.

Neither one thought much of the fact...they seemed fine with it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can you even get a round to kiss in a factory Ruger that is loaded to max mag length?

Anyone that has a barrel throated to suit the mag would seem smart enough to realize the above?

Yes.

Ruger doesn't build their chambers around a particular bullet, so yes, some combinations in some chambering can be loaded out far enough to kiss.

No, I do not hunt (anymore, nor have I for many years) with ammo that 'kisses' the rifling. I did make the discovery I noted with a brand new rifle a few years ago. I had not found the MOAL for the particular bullet I was using, so seated one and tried it. Snapping the extractor over the rim forced the bullet into the rifling and the case and powder were all that came back out. frown The ejector was fouled as a result and the stock had to be removed in order to get things working properly again.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Can you even get a round to kiss in a factory Ruger that is loaded to max mag length?

Yes.

Ruger doesn't build their chambers around a particular bullet, so yes, some combinations in some chambering can be loaded out far enough to kiss.

No, I do not hunt (anymore, nor have I for many years) with ammo that 'kisses' the rifling. I did make the discovery I noted with a brand new rifle a few years ago. I had not found the MOAL for the particular bullet I was using, so seated one and tried it. Snapping the extractor over the rim forced the bullet into the rifling and the case and powder were all that came back out. frown The ejector was fouled as a result and the stock had to be removed in order to get things working properly again.)

Amen!! "Kiss" has no business in a hunting rifle. I know this will piss a few idiots off, but who gives a [bleep].

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's a web page I can't find right now that had some stuff on PH competency requals. Fast, save the client, shooting was part of it. A few besides the Ruger couldn't keep up with a seasoned, proven professional hunter plying his trade.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bobmn: I also have never noticed a "failure to eject" problem with any of my many Ruger 77 MK II's.
My conclusion is - no problem and no "correction" needed.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
VarmintGuy
If someone could buy you for what you know and sell you for what you THINK you know, they'd have money enough to buy an Echol's rifle and go on three safari's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lol, but "ouch" anyway. grin

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've never had a problem with mine, but then I've never run mine really hard. Sounds like some testing would be in order before going out after anything toothy, and doing a little file work as described would be time well spent. One thing is certain; that ejector is a certifed PITA when using the Hornady OAL tool.

Good information here. Thanks for posting it.

What fresh Hell is this?
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Pappy348
One thing is certain; that ejector is a certifed PITA when using the Hornady OAL tool.

Ill second that.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JJHACK
All rifles seem to work with flawless precision in practice and on the bench.

Their flaws are more noticeable under stress and and while in panic mode. I've seen this plenty of times.

More folks then can be counted will tell you that a Push feed works every time with perfection even upside down. However those same guys have a double feed or poor extraction.

Even the Famous Pre 64 when operated in a panic and short stroked or otherwise manipulated improperly will not provide the reliability expected. One issue I have seen with my Ruger CRF design is that often the cases pup up in front of the bolt face, they do not slide under the claw as they do in my winchesters. A slow and deliberate cycle of the Ruger Action will slide the shell right into the bolt face. A rapid and panicked short cycle of the action, will sometimes push feed the case into the barrel.

Good post and very true.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I posted Don Heaths piece on the Hunting section. For Rugers, he found that the spring for the ejector but be stronger/stiffer to throw the case clear when worked at lightning speed. The ejector is still rising while the case passes over it and fails to get kicked out. Also he recommend some minor filing (if needed) to the ejector raceway to make sure a tiny burr or raised spot isn't interfering with the ejector. Slow down a bit and it works flawlessly.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 09/10/16.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Now I'm going to have to experiment with this. As a rule. the first this I do when I get a Ruger home is polish it up, including the ejector slot. Then a trigger job. I will fill the cocking piece, boltway and lugs up with a baking soda toothpaste and start working the bolt until it feels right.
When you clean all the goo out and lube it a bit, it feels like butter. That may be why I have never seen this.

Or have I? I'm kind of wondering if this may happen on the bench and we don't think of it as an issue. I have never had a failure to eject in the woods.

I used to spend time practicing "pinky open, thumb close" with the rifle at my shoulder. I don't think about it much now. I guess it's muscle memory.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 54 invisible), 2,731 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,460
Posts18,471,276
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.