Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
People hunting in parts of southern and eastern Africa usually take medical precaution to prevent malaria, perhaps sleeping sickness, tuberculosis, and other particularly unpleasant variations of diseases found in [their] hunting areas.

Do available prophylactic medications prevent the diseases from surviving in your body? OR do they prevent the diseases from becoming uncontrollable by your body's immune system? OR is something else happening?

While I have been unable to donate blood or plasma because of illness/medication, I remember that among questions to be answered when donating are those specifically pertaining to whether the person donating has been out of the United States, more specifically, in certain parts of Africa and/or Asia.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
It depends on the disease, strain, and medicine.

For Malaria, some of the best medicines are only available on site in Africa because the US system has not approved them. China has been playing a large role in their development. Since it takes a couple of weeks to incubate malaria, you actually have time available on arrival. The meds will wipe out the malaria if they can also be used for treatment. If they are 'prophylactic only' then they are taking out a particular stage of the parasite. The recurrent kind of malaria is vivax, and that is not usually found in East Africa as far as I'm aware. The top US recommended drug for malaria has had a long history of mental disturbances, so be careful with Lariam and many would recommend avoiding altogether. If you are going to be travelling to a particular country you might ask the outfitter to put you in contact with a local doctor or pharmacist for more up to date and localized advice.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
ALL forms of malaria are recurring. The parasite can hide in the liver for up to 5 yrs. and may come to play at any time ie. recurrent fevers. Much better to not get infected/kill the parasite before it gets established than to have to kill it afterward.

Vivax typically only makes you sick. Falciparium has the potential to kill.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
having spent almost 2 years total- over the course of 4 years popping larium (mefloquiin) weekly- I can tell you it'll ruin the trip for you. You will not feel right, and your dreams will be absolutely ghastly. you will feel like you are crazy (lunatic asylum type), it is very uncomfortable.

Doxycycline leads to photosensitivity an digestive issues in alot of the people who take it- but isn't crazy making like mefloquine. increased likelihood of sunburn and need for sunscreen was the worst side effect I experienced on doxy- that's daily for a little more than a year overall. Doxy daily followed up with a course of primaquine when you come home and are no longer exposed.

Last edited by 175rltw; 02/09/14.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've used doxy for a couple of years while working in Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam & Afghanistan. Just take it in the middle of a meal.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Just so you know, doxy is not 100% effective. I'm not saying don't take it, that's just FYI. Like others have said, Larium has bad side effects. I would avoid it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Regards malaria, i take no prophylaxis any more. On it too long (years, mostly doxy).

For others, if you can immunise, typhoid, Japanese Encephalitis if in that area, tetanus, rabies, Hep A, B, Polio etc. Makes sure all up to data. Dukoral can be good for traveller's diarrhoea and of course cholera.

Travel medicine place would help.

Nvere take Larium and use Primaquine only with doctors advice and may need testing, can have adverse reactions with some people.

Remember you can buy most meds in Africa over the counter without a script, so beware of self medicating and counterfeit medeciations.

Sometimes if only going on a short holiday some people do not bother.

Also remember to avoid (cover up or just repllent) mozzies in Dengue areas, not very pleasant.

Good travels, Chris

Last edited by rockdoc; 02/16/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do not take malaria prophylaxis when hunting RSA. Other countries - Zambia, Tanz, Zim, Cameroon, Bots - I take Larium.

I have not suffered from the advertised side effects, and doubt most would on a 2 week trip. You really don't want malaria.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If I were to need it today Id try Malarone (?) I took Larium and had EVERY side effects listed, it was awful. But I'm with Hatari�Ive seen Malaria, and trust me, its something you don't want. Ever.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To begin I only made 8 safaris to Zimbabwe and they varied from 2 weeks the first few to usually 2 months for the last 3. I took Larium on the advice of the UofA travel clinic each trip with absolutely no side effects that I was aware of. I have no doubt that Larium is a questionable medication with potential bad side effects. At the time I was not aware of it. I have also had Malaria and I can guarantee you you do NOT want IT. If I were to go again I would probably NOT use Larium. I would again ask the advice of the Travel Clinic and try and follow their advice. I am not a Doctor so really prefer their advice.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm in Angola a lot.

After extensive research, I take Malarone.

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, BamaCKC, 300_savage, AussieGunWriter, 10 invisible), 1,191 guests, and 711 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,232
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.