Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dan,

As I read your post, I immediately thought back to the caregivers who took care of my Grandfather and Grandmother when they were dying from lung cancer.

The ordeal of watching a loved one die such an awful death is life changing. I cannot imagine the effects of watching it hundreds of times in a career of treating patients.

You have my respect and admiration. It is easy to read in your post that you are in your career for the right reasons.

May God bless and keep you.

CT

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Dan,

All I can say is ditto to all the previous comments. Thank you and your service is noted above.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Sorry guys, but his may be a little long.

I don't build anything. I don't craft or create anything. I don't sell anything, or drive anything or make your money work for you. Just like everyone else who works, there are times when I hate my job; times when it's bearable and times when I wonder how in hell I ever ended up here. Then there are times when my heart breaks. I'm an oncology nurse.

Over the last couple months, I've had occasion to take care of an elderly cancer patient who has come into the hospital half a dozen times. He was a fun old guy with something growing in his lungs that modern medicine can't cut out or stop from growing and while he was always in good humor and fun to talk to, things were progressing a little faster than he was aware would happen.

His wife, always struck me as a bit cold and distant. In the time I took care of her husband, she probably didn't say a dozen words to me, other than to ask questions about what I was doing, what treatment he was getting, what I was hanging on his IV pole; tests being run etc. Never a smile, never really a thank you or other expression you normally see with elderly people brought up in a different time when service was acknowledged.

I realized now, that she was just too damn scared of the future without her Jimmy.

Yesterday, he started his final decline. There won't be any discharge this time. He's in the hospital and this is where he will remain. His wife met me in the hall in the afternoon that was so busy I didn't have time to think. She came up to me and asked if I had a minute. Hell, I didn't have 20 seconds to spare, much less a minute, but those old instincts kicked in and I took a deep breath and made it a point not to look at my watch.

She told me that she knew the end was fast approaching and she didn't want her husband to suffer and asked what I could do to help. I told her that he needed to change his code status so that if he slipped away, we could let him go. As it was now, if she faded, we had to do everything we could to revive him. She asked if I'd talk to him about it. So I did. You can imagine this is a delicate conversation, but in this case, I'm thinking Jimmy was ready to face facts.

We went over the options and he elected to accept no code status. If he slipped away, we would let him go. When he said it, I told him I'd get the order in his chart and we'd transfer him to a private room and I patted him on the shoulder and started to walk out of the room. His wife said: "Thank you...thank you...bless you." You can imagine how difficult that was to endure without letting that old dam of stoicism break.

My shifts are 12 hours long. Last night was 14. It was a biotch of a day! So, after I got all my charting done and all I could think about was getting out the door, I went back down the hall to say good night to my patients as is my practice. I saved his room for last.

He looked comfortable; gone was the expression of struggle and fear. He'd accepted that life had an expiration date and knew his was up. His color was better and he was breathing easier. I told him I was off for a day and I'd see him on Wednesday. He said maybe not. I said he'd have to put up with me for a little while longer. He asked: "You think so?" I told him I was pretty sure of it.

His wife had changed completely. That cold, aloof, distant woman was now like the best matronly grandmother one could imagine. Her dam of self control and steel had finally broken. Acceptance has a way of doing that. They were both finally comfortable with what the future held and all that reserve I'd seen before was just a way of doing battle with that damn disease and coping.

So, yesterday was one of the worst days I've ever had as a nurse, but not because of these two people. It was because of the other self-serving, selfish patients who wanted to be served like royalty for little things like stomach bugs and headaches, while just down the hall a nice old gentleman was contemplating his impending death and saying goodbye to all that he'd come to love and cherish.

He didn't make the day suck. Patients like him make it a lot easier to contemplate going back to work after a day of rest.

I'm hoping he's still there on Wednesday, but part of me hopes he isn't. Part of me hopes he slips away, with that nice old woman holding his hand.

This is how everyone should, if they were the world would be a much better place IMHO.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
this one hit home in the X ring Dan

I spent more time in an infusion center last year than I ever dreamed possible.

it is indeed a tough gig to watch who you love most struggle for their very life. Most often my defense mechanism for stress it to be a spring loaded angry POS. Though some say I may be stressed all the time.

anyway, I just want to personally thank you. Those folks that did my wife's infusion treatments really were angels on earth for us, pretty much the whole dang crew.

I am so very thankful for the compassion and care my wife and I were shown during her treatments.

God bless you Dan, for the work you do and the manner in which you do so. For that is often God's blessing on those afflicted.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by cra1948
Before you ask, it's coming along...not as fast as I'd like, but it's coming along.

Keep at it!

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
This just confirms what I already knew. You are a good man Dan Chamberlain.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Wow! I don't know what else can be said.
I spent a good bit of time a couple of years ago while my SIL went through this. Caring Compassionate nurses make a world of difference.
Thanks Dan.

FJB & FJT
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Appreciate the words. I didn't post this for applause. After 25 years in Law Enforcement, nursing was a 2nd career. I just wanted to give an illustration of how people who you don't expect to, can really tough your life. We have a wing of 25 beds. On any given day, perhaps only 4 or 5 are given over to oncology and 2 or three receive a lot of inpatient hospice use. We lose between 150 and 180 patients a year on our wing, as opposed to #2, which would be ICU and Emergency, which probably average less than 50. Even with those numbers, it's hard not to imagine it being sort of a hospice mill of sorts, but it's not.

It's harder on the family than it is on the patients. Those stages of grief everyone talks about are really there.

Still, it's sometimes hard to "love" all your patients. Some make it darn difficult to even like them. The trick is, not to let those ones know. Everyone gets the same amount of care, but not all of them take the same toll on our emotions. I've learned you can care "for" someone, without ever really caring in one's heart.

Thankfully, those patients are few and far between.

Last edited by Dan_Chamberlain; 02/11/14.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
God bless you, Dan, and those you care for.
And God bless Jimmy and his wife, I hope his last moments are peaceful.
Originally Posted by gnnrsig40
After watching my mother slowly die of cancer, and being there at the end, the nurses that cared for her were truly angels, they treated her(and us)with care and kindness, even when she was comatose and unaware. They treated her with respect and dignity. Their names and faces have faded from my memory, but I will never forget those wonderful people. You and them are special people sent by God. thanks

Agreed, my young first wife passed from cancer. The oncology nurses made a horrible time more bearable. They were angels.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thanks for what you do.

I have a bit of caring streak in me at times too. Thought hard RE nursing and just didn't think I could deal with those situations.

Unfortunately, well in a way, in my late 40s I jumped into fire/ems volunteer stuff and damn if I don't deal wiht it anyway, but after seeing family folks pass, maybe I am now ready for it.

Whatever the case, your job has rewards once you figure them out. Even though it doesn't seem that way, you are right, folks at peace with a caring caregiver mean so much.

And those with the hangnail... well they are hard to deal with sometimes.

Well done sir.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dan thank you for what you do. If it weren't for caregivers like you this would be a cold dark lonely world for many.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
People like you truly make a difference in this world. In a very good way.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Dan,

Thanks for being a good person and a great example to your profession!

I recently had back surgery and am well aware of what a good nurse is. I was in the hospital for 3 nights and out of all the nurses I had I can say only 3 were competent and caring of their job. I think to many go into it for the money but I may be wrong.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Man of the Right Stuff there.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Dan, My wife has been a nurse for 35 years,in an ICU and then taking care of veterans at a clinic. Many an evening she has told me stories similar to this one because talking to someone about it is the only way she can get to sleep at night.

There are special people for special jobs.

We should all be thankful for them.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
You are perfect for this job! Bless you and thank you for all you do..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You done good for that couple. Blessings on you.

Grammar is important.
Capitol letters are the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" & "helping your uncle jack off a horse".
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautifully written, Dan. I know you were venting and not looking for praise, but just like when you were in law enforcement, you have to do the job somewhat dispassionately to preserve your own soul. I'm sure the family you wrote about will think of you fondly after he passes..

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well Done Dan.

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
God bless you for providing good palative care.

I went through this last year with my brother loosing his wife to cancer and the hospital staff was excellent.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (12344mag, 160user, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,139
Posts18,484,059
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.