Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
The family of loggers is from about 30 miles from where I grew up. My grandpa had a farm and was a logger in Effie. He started my dad out strip cutting at a young age.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Nice video, thanks for posting.

Just purchased a nice piece of land outside of Bigfork. Retiring there.

Go .. Effie!

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Kachad,

I grew up in Big Falls and had lots of family in the Effie/Big Fork area. My grandpas farm was a few miles east of Effie on Hwy 1. I have hunted and drove those roads most of my life. Nice to hear you will be relocating up that way.

I just saw that the hospital in Big Fork has the #1 patient satisfaction in MN and has been rated as a great rural hospital. It is a very nice area over there.

I think there are a couple of other campfire members from around Big Fork or Grand Rapids. My dad still lives in Big Falls.

Have a good day.

Mack

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Mack - If you're up there during hunting season, give me a heads up. Grab a beer or whatnot.

I absolutely fell in love with the area. My GF's parents have lived there about 15 years, and from their perspective, the perfect place up north to settle down. The hospital there was a big factor too.

I scored 40 acres on the Bigfork, less than a couple miles from the town. Closest neighbors are >.75 miles away, and nothing in sight from my vantage point on the river.

Kicker is, I can float downstream to the GF's Parent's place.

Nice to meet ya.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nice vid.

Love those northern MN accents.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just spoke with your Dad a coupla' days ago. We had a long, leisurely and rambling bit of yarn spinning. You really need to get him into gear and record some of HIS stories..... grin

No schmooze here, some of that is "The Stuff of Legend".

I'll really look forward to speaking with him again.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
LOL Greg he does have a way with the spoken word. Trust me I have heard them stories my whole life it sure makes some big boots to fill.

I talked to him after your chat and he enjoyed it as much as you did.

I am sure glad you guys got a chance to talk a little longer this time.

Jim Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hell, I want to come up for a Fall hunt with you 2 characters, some when.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Greg I am sure you would be welcome. Lots of hunting ground up there and my mom can cook!

My dad said he told you about uncle Homer. He was a tough old bird. Trapped beaver until he was in his 80's. His son Clark was no joke either.

My favorite story about Clark was how he got fired from Page & Hill the saw mill in town. Seems like Clark was taking a break on a log when the owner came by and said. "WTF you think your doing boy? It isn't break time!"
Clark's response was "Boy? Boy? A slop bucket full of balls and a foot of Cck and your calling me boy?"
Needless to say that was his last day on the job at Page & Hill!

He was something else. Looked about like a grizzly bear and about as strong. Heard lots of stories about him growing up.

Be careful when you get the old man talking or you might lose half a day! LOL

Take care,

Jim Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Homer stories, in and of themselves, would probably comprise one pretty good sized BOOK.

Your Old man and I can kill an hour talking about charge pump replacement on a Clark skidder, or the merits of true scribe joint / saddle notch log construction.

Hard not to respect that kinda' (hard earned) savvy in a man.

GTC

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That was nice.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Uncle Homer was quite a card,when I was just a lad I used to go over and play with my cousins Clark and Troy. Homer always called me "Jimmie Quackenbush" maybe because I talked a lot.When you went into his house the kitchen cabinets were on the left,there was always a half pint mason jar there with some thing in that looked like a human ear. One day I asked Uncle Homer about it and he said he got into a fight about some timber sale and bit the guys ear off.I thought about it for awhile and asked him why he kept it on the cabinet and did not throw it away. He looked at me and said he was my best friend. That ear was there as long as I can remember!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,358
Posts18,527,128
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.