Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Apparently the South, ie. not Yankees. Need the National Guard for a snow storm.

Now I get it.

LOL wink

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Those of us who are from here don't need a godd d*mn thing from the National Guard or anyone else. We go where, when and how we want to through any storm, whether it be tornados, hurricanes, ice or snow.
They call out the National Guard for all them [bleep]' yankees that moved here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Because Yankees don't know how to handle snow. Right.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Snow/ice are two different animals. The South has millions of acres of trees that break and fall when iced and tear down power lines. It comes so seldom that they are not pruned for years. The North probably has it often enough to keep the tree growth in check. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by milespatton

Snow/ice are two different animals. The South has millions of acres of trees that break and fall when iced and tear down power lines. It comes so seldom that they are not pruned for years. The North probably has it often enough to keep the tree growth in check. miles

You are correct Miles, At least that is the way it is around here but we still have lots of problems when heavy ice hits.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Kinda funny that I had to drive through Elon this morning where Elon University is located. It is commonly know as the 13th grade for dumbss northern kids that cannot get in anywhere else. All the vehicles that I saw stranded had either NJ, NY, or MD tags. I guess they need the National Guard.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guard got called out here in the winter of 77-78. The Tug Hill Plateau had 14' of snow so the tanks and APC's from Ft. Drum were about the onliest things that could move.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Every time I read these silly Yankee vs Southern threads, I'm reminded about how funny it was that in addition to snow, the south wasn't too good at handling Grant or Sherman either.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Every time I read these silly Yankee vs Southern threads, I'm reminded about how funny it was that in addition to snow, the south wasn't too good at handling Grant or Sherman either.

And that is relevant to what, exactly?

Not being a smartass, just trying to understand the workings (if any) of the Nawthern thought process.

Last edited by badger; 02/13/14.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Just my observation but people buy tires for area they live in. Folks in the south tend to run less aggressive treads. Newer vehicles have traction control and if you can't turn it off it can screw you in snow.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Marlin Mark is too slow to have caught the fact that rain that falls and then freezes is not snow, though snow may later fall on it.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dave, ya have it half right. Example: N.Carolna and Virginia,14" of snow=disaster. Syracuse,NY 14" of snow=heavy flurries. 6"=a dusting. It is really about what you are used to getting. We are set for 10-16" here and all it is to us is a PITA. Nothing out of the ordinary. The poster who commented of the suburban females in their SUV is dead(ly)accurate. The 4WD helps them to go, but they never seemed to learn how to stop or turn properly in deep snow with it. DISASTER!!

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by badger

Not being a smartass, just trying to understand the workings (if any) of the Nawthern thought process.

It's fun riling up the Suthren folk when they go on their yankee rants.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not many if any Southern Folks Retire and move up North, this about sums up the argument. The South would be much better off if Northern Folks stayed up North where life is the Greatest.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by badger

It's fun riling up the Suthren folk when they go on their yankee rants.

Oh, not getting riled. Just curious is all. It's "Southern" BTW. It's also entertaining reading when one cannot distinguish the difference between snow, and ice that gets hard packed and not removed because of the lack of snow removal in these parts. I'm about to get out on the 4-wheeler to check on the local Nawthern transplants. They may need help smile

Last edited by badger; 02/13/14.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
I hate both Southern and Northern folks..... equally laugh

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Good on you. That's neighborly. I think people should understand that even the North country hasn't had the snow and ice of yesteryear, in the last decade or so. Driving on snow isn't hard. On ice, it's darn hard. When I grew up, the use of studded snow tires was just being outlawed due to the toll it took on the roads. Too bad. They made driving on ice a whole lot easier.

If you look at a recent chain reaction problem way up in Wisconsin, you'll see even the yankees up there have problems with it. Life's too fast these days, which is why I'm surprised the "Southern" folk have a problem with snow since it just means slowing down and enjoying the drive a little.

Important safety tip for you folks in the south. Buy a good set of winter radials. You're going to need them for the next 5 to 10 years. Get used to winter. It's coming.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Think how hard we would laugh if the feds bought thousands of snow plows and trainloads of salt and sand for the southern states to clear the roads just so they could get used every ten years. Bet we Northerners would be upset about where are tax money went.

Now I don't live in the South, fact is I can see Canada from town. I know what is is to have to live in ice and snow storms. But making fun at folks who get hammered in a once every ten or more years storms? There are folks down there without power and are suffering in cold they do not normally have. No heat, grocery stores empty, frozen water pips, people dying on the roads,yep it sounds like a lot of fun to me.

Instead of poking fun at folks I would rather call friends I think I will start saying some prayers for those in need.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bea175
Not many if any Southern Folks Retire and move up North, this about sums up the argument. The South would be much better off if Northern Folks stayed up North where life is the Greatest.

Lol.........I know a number of "southern" folks that have retired and called Alaska home. Can't get any more northern than that. wink

But yall go ahead and keep hating those of us from the north that had nothing to do with something that happened 150 years ago. smile

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bea175

Summed it up great BEA..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 117LBS, 67 invisible), 2,619 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,390
Posts18,527,744
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.