Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I am looking for a new one to add to a general purpose bag. After about an hour my head was spinning.

SOG, leatherman, gerber, leatherman was the first and has good stuff, gerber too. Not sure about SOG. Who else?

I use a Leatherman Charge TTi everyday for work. It's pretty slick, I think it's similar to the Wave.

Lost one(Charge) last Spring and used a Supertool 300 for a few months. Missed the Charge so much I ordered another one.

I like to support the local business if possible but they were +$60 for the exact same tool. Actually every other website I found on the internet was also $50-60 higher.

This place has the best deals by far.

http://ltm.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/7702/Leatherman-Full-Size-Tools.html

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always have some sort of victorinox with Phillips head in my pocket but I do keep the wingman in my car.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SO, thanks for website reference. My Wave has been missing for awhile. Need to get on the stick and order a new one.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My Charge is laying out in the middle of a field. Pretty sure I set it on the sprayer while we were re-filling and then forgot to grab it before my dad took off.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Downside is they are a spendy proposition.

I lost a SOG Paratool in a lake when I had to dive in after a fishing rod that had been dropped. Recovered the pole, but lost my SOG. I almost cried.

thats why you keep an old fish stringer, the metal clip kind, handy. Open all the clips, toss it in and drag and one of the clips generally catches the rod or line on the first few tries...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SamOlson
My Charge is laying out in the middle of a field. Pretty sure I set it on the sprayer while we were re-filling and then forgot to grab it before my dad took off.

Borrow a metal detector and sweep the area.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
JJHACK;
Hopefully this finds you and yours well today sir.

I'll add another vote for the Leatherman Wave.

I've carried one since they came out and used it pretty much daily at work. It's getting a wee bit tired now, especially the wire cutter, but it's been a great tool.

When our daughters asked for a multitool for their cars/packs I picked up clean older production Waves for them on ebay.

We bought our eldest daughter's boyfriend a new model Wave this past Christmas and although it was a bit bulkier, I'd say there were several design improvements that made sense.

I'm planning on buying another Wave for myself in the not too distant future, but haven't made up my mind as yet whether I'll go new or the older "classic" Wave.

Lastly as a "gear guy" and "knife nut", I've looked at every model multitool I could get my hands on and talked to owners who actually use them too.

Based upon that I'd stick with either a Wave or one of the Gerber offerings.

Hopefully that was useful to you or someone out there sir. Good luck on your multitool purchase whichever way you decide.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Downside is they are a spendy proposition.

I lost a SOG Paratool in a lake when I had to dive in after a fishing rod that had been dropped. Recovered the pole, but lost my SOG. I almost cried.

thats why you keep an old fish stringer, the metal clip kind, handy. Open all the clips, toss it in and drag and one of the clips generally catches the rod or line on the first few tries...

Oh I could have hooked it with another line and a triple treble hooked northern pike lure, but it was hot outside and a dip sounded like a good idea.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I messed up the cutters on a Leatherman Supertool.

I sent it back with a letter and they replaced it.

Their lifetime warranty means something smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This thread has me wondering how often you guys actually use a multi tool in the backcountry?

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gerber Suspension is pretty badass for me.

Not sure if DanAdair will approve of it, but through hiking the Bob has probably taught him more than us mortals could ever dream of....

Tanner

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by DanAdair
This thread has me wondering how often you guys actually use a multi tool in the backcountry?

Yeah, 'cause EdT figured out long ago that a pair of 4in channelocks was a better potholder/plier and weighs about a third or less of what multitools weigh.

A multitool makes perfect sense in a SHTF/bug-out kit because you haven't left civilization and still may have to afro-engineer some mechanical contraption. In the middle of a wilderness area? Not so much.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty much....

I pack a multi tool on XC ski trips in case I gotta make a cable for a binding, or fix a binding.

But backpacking? that's 7-8 ounces that doesn't really do anything for me.

Even bow season, my compound buddies pack individual allen wrenches for gadgets that might shake loose.

I use one of the old school origional Leathermans a ton at work and around daily life. I've never needed one when living out of a backpack.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I use mine for removing fish hooks and cutting stuff and making wood shavings and striking firestarters and it is a nice fail safe if I have to remove/tighten screws or tighten a nut and bolt, etc.

I can't think of what the [bleep] I'd use some channel locks for. Unless of course I run into an oil filter that just really needs to come off in the backcountry.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by deflave

I can't think of what the [bleep] I'd use some channel locks for.

It don't take you long to look at a horseshoe, does it?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm of the same mind as Dan and TAK, which is in and of itself kind of scary. Surprised no one has mentioned a good old Swiss Army knife. Scissors, tweezers, blades, etc. I also use the smallest leatherman that has pliers on it whenever I might have a need for those.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I use them quite a bit in the backcountry. Not necessarily backpacking though, and never in the classical sense. All the time on the boat, and more than a little on a snowmachine (ok, none of that this winter, as we have no snow).

I packed one sheep hunting once, but pretty quickly gave that up. If I were to carry one there, it would sure as hell not be the chunky supertool.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

It don't take you long to look at a horseshoe, does it?

I'll answer any questions you have about using photobucket.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Borrow a metal detector and sweep the area.

I looked around for about an hour but couldn't find it. The field would be too big to go looking for it with a metal detector.

Someone else had lost it before me as well. I actually found it alongside a gravel road and used it for a couple years before I lost it.

Painted the current one orange. Hopefully I don't lose this one for at least a year or two.

Can't comment on backpacking but for a general daily use item it is sweet.

Really not that big, solid though, it feels 'heavy' for its size. Are the Waves smaller?

Favorite blade half the time.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SamOlson; 02/13/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cwh2
I use them quite a bit in the backcountry. Not necessarily backpacking though, and never in the classical sense. All the time on the boat, and more than a little on a snowmachine (ok, none of that this winter, as we have no snow).

I packed one sheep hunting once, but pretty quickly gave that up. If I were to carry one there, it would sure as hell not be the chunky supertool.

Same here, I've used a multitool to snug up trekking poles that were slipping, fix a tripod head. Use the pliers for helping hold back the fur when skinning (especially between the horns on a sheep). For me its 5 oz of worth it along with a stout sharp knife for stuff like cutting down large willows and what not.

If guys don't need it don't take it, but I found that it is still an item I choose to bring/use on nearly every backpacking trip. Heck, for pulling hooks out of a fish's mouth alone makes it worth it.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (222Sako, 160user, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,276
Posts18,486,709
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.