Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
41rem Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
New rifle, mounted a spare 6-24x scope in Weaver Quad lock ex-high rings & Harris bi-pod, then shot it at 50m. Like the looks of the stainless rifle & the extra 4" of barrel over my 10/22 carbine.

I'm kind of disappointed in the groups, shot CCI Mini Mag hp's, Winchester Wildcat, CCI Stinger & some Augulia HV.

Nothing shot lights out, 5 shots were running 1.5-2.5" @ 50m.

Made sure the bedding screw was socked down & Weaver style base/ring bases/rings were all solid.

Think that brand new bbl just need some rounds down it & will break in??

As of right now my old carbine w/ a Lyman 4x will out shoot this rig.

We deal in lead, friend.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Possibly, but you may just need to try a few more loads. I know that's not easy right now, but perhaps you have a friend or two that may take pity on you. Much as I like the way Stingers whack stuff, accuracy ain't their strong point. If you'll be using it mainly for targets, be sure and try some standard velocity stuff. When switching from one brand to another, be sure to clean your barrel and shoot enough rounds to condition the barrel to the new lube before shooting for group. It doesn't always matter, but sometimes it matters a lot.

.22s can be very fussy.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never been terribly impressed with the accuracy of the Ruger 10/22 factory barrels. I consider 2" at 50yds the sort of accuracy to be expected from them. Put on a good match barrel and expect most anything to group an inch at 50, or 1/2" with preferred fodder.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Try some Wolf Target Ammo and if it doesn't group them , then you have the Average Ruger Factory 22 barrel

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I bought a stainless 10/22 with the Mannlicher stock last year. It shot just as you described with several brands of high velocity shells. But, it shoots half-inch groups with CCI Standard Velocity. Local stores actual do carry some of that ammo on an irregular basis.

Also, I didn't think the factory trigger was too bad. But, my son talked me into upgrading. So, I installed a Clark unit for $150. It's a great trigger and makes it much easier to shoot the gun accurately. I thought I could shoot the original trigger just fine. But, I have to admit that I get much smaller groups with the better trigger. FYI, I sold the OEM trigger on eBay for $50 and helped offset the upgrade cost.

Last edited by msquared; 02/13/14.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You ran a selection of really crappy ammo thru the gun for shooting paper. And you did it with a gun that is pretty crappy at shooting paper. It's not a target gun in it's current form, don't try. Never fear, I killed truck loads of game before I knew that 10/22's weren't good enough. I've been intimate with a handful of stock 10/22's and here are some rules to live by:

Plinkin = Whatever
General Purpose Hunting = MiniMags
Hunting critters like ground hogs and coon = CCI Velocitors

With these, if you ain't getting the job done than it doesn't need done by a stock 10/22. At that point you either need to upgrade, get a better gun or get a bigger gun. And that 6-24x is about as out of place on a stock 10/22 as I am on stage with the Chip'n'Dales. No one wants to see it, no one wants to even hear about it.

41rem Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by L_Killkenny
You ran a selection of really crappy ammo thru the gun for shooting paper. And you did it with a gun that is pretty crappy at shooting paper. It's not a target gun in it's current form.

And that 6-24x is about as out of place on a stock 10/22 as I am on stage with the Chip'n'Dales. No one wants to see it, no one wants to even hear about it

Come on man, don't hold back now, tell me how you really feel. grin

I'll dink around w/ it on a few more range trips, good advice on the trigger group, I just might do that. I'm not looking for a target rifle, just wanted to see what THIS sporter could do w/ the ammo I have on hand.

I like the way the HV ammo gets out to 100m, was smacking some small dirt clods towards the end of my shooting w/ that BIG OLD SCOPE ON 24X using the CCI Mini mags & hitting within 1/4" of aim-point. So the last 10 rounds put a grin on my face.

Gives a guy hope

We deal in lead, friend.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
And that 6-24x is about as out of place on a stock 10/22 as I am on stage with the Chip'n'Dales. No one wants to see it, no one wants to even hear about it.

Chip and Dale, the squirrels?

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
FWIW my last 10/22 didn't shoot very well when I got it. After sending the bolt to one of the guys on rimfire central and getting the headspace set and working on the firing pin, it was greatly improved. I'm still using the factory barrel.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have the same rifle you have and IMO the longer barrel doesn't help in the accuracy department. But she's one helluva thing hitter when shooting offhand.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by doubletap
And that 6-24x is about as out of place on a stock 10/22 as I am on stage with the Chip'n'Dales. No one wants to see it, no one wants to even hear about it.

Chip and Dale, the squirrels?

Ask your wife.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 41rem

I'll dink around w/ it on a few more range trips, good advice on the trigger group, I just might do that. I'm not looking for a target rifle, just wanted to see what THIS sporter could do w/ the ammo I have on hand.

I hear you! When I bought mine, I knew it wouldn't be my most accurate .22. I bought it as a fun gun and because I liked the looks of the Mannlicher stock. But, with a few tweaks I found it can at least be minute-of-squirrel!

The other advantage of the Clark trigger group is that it's a metal housing.

Last edited by msquared; 02/14/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
I have the same rifle you have and IMO the longer barrel doesn't help in the accuracy department. But she's one helluva thing hitter when shooting offhand.

Travis

What the hell you expect for a 239.00 walmart special deluxe????

Swifty
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Exactly what I got.

[Linked Image]

If you can take your eyes off me, the rifle is in my hands.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Damn man you just had to ruin a good picture of a gun and bunny didn't you! Should really have done a crop job and left out the eye sore. laugh
I got one of them Walmart special deluxes too. Shoots half way decent but don't come close to my 77/22

Swifty
41rem Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Hell yeah!

Originally Posted by deflave
Exactly what I got.

[Linked Image]

Nice shot. I think its a sweet looking rifle, just want mine to shoot 1 MOA w/ any HV ammo I stuff into it.

That too much to ask??
grin

We deal in lead, friend.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
No fun pouring a bunch of money into them. Just kill.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Look at it this way; you can spend a bunch of money trying to make it shoot into a half-inch at fifty yards, and when you succeed, you' ll have a $800 .22 that won't kill small game any deader, and as a bonus, it'll probably require you to clean the chamber every 50 rounds or so to keep functioning. Win win I'd say.

What fresh Hell is this?
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Looks like you are experiencing average 10/22 accuracy, The many I have been around over the years all shoot as you described, if want good accuracy you will need an aftermarket barrel......Good luck...............Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't say I could define average accuracy across the marque, but I've found out from my two that the type of ammo makes a big difference.

Have a plain 10/22 walnut stock I bought in 1968. Rarely if ever cleaned it and when I did it was done from the muzzle with a jointed aluminum rod. I took it out a few years ago to bench it to see what it would do.

Federal bulk pack HP spread 10 shots over 2" vertically at 25 yards. Winchester bulk HV did just as bad, so I figured oh well, I've probably ruined the crown.

Then I tried some good Winchester Super-X solids and they put 10 shots into a raggedy hole of .760" with 8 of those shots grouping into .347". This from a 40 year old rifle with plenty of bumps and wear on it, a 9 pound trigger pull and a 4X Bushnell Banner .22 scope on top.

Same same with my only other 10/22, a 10/22 Tactical - the ammo it doesn't like groups like crap, the ammo it does like groups like a target rifle should. I've used that out of the box 10/22 Tactical to win several 200 yard .22 silhouette matches.

Not like it's easy to find different ammo right now, but the shortage will be over some day. When it is, try different stuff to see what the rifle likes, it might surprise you.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1lessdog, 163bc, 1minute, 01Foreman400, 1234, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,568
Posts18,491,848
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.