Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
My openers came yesterday and they are nice!
Ronnie

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Depending on the particular section of wrought iron fence picket I�m working with, some openers finish with fairly pristine surface while others show visible grain lines of the wrought iron. Of course I have no way of predicting how any given piece will turn out in that respect, but some people prefer the ones with more �character� while other people (if given the choice) like the more pristine looking ones.

All openers have to pass my standards for size/shape/proportions before they get sent out. It is sort of the luck of the draw as to how much character the metal will exhibit on any given one. But when an opener is outside the norm far enough and may have some very cool cracks/crevices forming, I contact people ahead of time to make sure they are ok with it or if they would like a different one. Personally, I prefer the unique looking ones.

****I have a VERY unique one available for someone who is looking for quite a conversation piece.****
This one has grain lines all over, evidence of layering, and even a side crevice that formed during forging.
I think this one is very cool, looks like it was just dug up out of the earth from the Roman days.
I haven�t put a finish on it yet because something like this may look just right without coloring and could be left brushed silver.
But I will leave it up to whoever wants it. I�ll put a finish on there if you like, or leave it as is and simply wax it.

When some see a crevice in the metal like this one, they ask �will that break off at that crack?�.
There is still a 3/8� x 1/2� section of solid iron on the body, if you can snap off 3/8� of iron, you must have quite a grip.
But if you have any worries, like all my items I have a 100% lifetime replacement. If anything should happen to your opener I�ll replace it with another one, so you don�t have to feel like you�re taking a gamble on something that might not last.

Here�s the pics of the unique one I forged this week. This one has �2014� on the side, and a slightly offset frog stamp (on purpose) so the crevice wasn�t distorted inward.
If someone was looking for a unique one that will get people talking, here you go:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BlackFrog; 02/14/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BlackFrog
Depending on the particular section of wrought iron fence picket I�m working with, some openers finish with fairly pristine surface while others show visible grain lines of the wrought iron.
Of course I have no way of predicting how any given piece will turn out in that respect, but some people prefer the ones with more �character� while other people (if given the choice) like the more pristine looking ones.

All openers have to pass my standards for size/shape/proportions before they get sent out. It is sort of the luck of the draw as to how much character the metal will exhibit on any given one. But when an opener is outside the norm far enough and may have some very cool cracks/crevices forming, I contact people ahead of time to make sure they are ok with it or would like a different one. Personally, I prefer the unique looking ones.

****I have a VERY unique one available for someone who is looking for quite a conversation piece.****
This one has grain lines all over, evidence of layering, and even a side crevice that formed during forging.
I think this one is very cool, looks like it was just dug up out of the earth from the Roman days.
I haven�t put a finish on it yet because something like this may look just right without coloring and could be left brushed silver.
But I will leave it up to whoever wants it. I�ll put a finish on there if you like, or leave it as is and simply wax it.

When some see a crevice in the metal like this one, they ask �will that break off at that crack?�.
There is still a 3/8� x 1/2� section of solid iron on the body, if you can snap off 3/8� of iron, you must have quite a grip.
But if have any worries, like all my items I have a 100% lifetime replacement. If anything should happen to your opener I�ll replace it with another one, so you don�t have to feel like you�re taking a gamble on something that might not last.

Here�s the pics of the unique one I forged this week. This one has �2014� on the side, and a slightly offset frog stamp (on purpose) so the crevice wasn�t distorted inward.
If someone was looking for a unique one that will have get people talking, here you go:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm interested! How much?

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
$60 to you door, finished however you like.
I don't consider this a "misfit opener" or one of lesser forging quality. The proportions are nice, and forged well. This one is just that unique that I wasn't going to send it out to fullfill the order list and take a chance on someone not liking what they get.

Some people really go after the character pieces, others do not.
I want to make sure people are happy and satisfied with what they are receiving. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like character and I'll take it. PM sent

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd like a couple when you start taking new orders.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
same here

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Well, that didn't last long.... Sold to HUNTSONORA, thanks!

I'll be finally getting caught up in the next week or two with all orders I had committed to previously, and then I can figure out how to proceed from here. Thanks guys!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'd like one when you take orders again please

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Those units are going like hotcakes. I recall the aftermarket dealings for the Cabbage Patch dolls many moons ago. Remember that?

Now, its going to be:
"Pssst, Hey Mac wanna buy a Blackfrog Opener??"

Todd, your imagination, ingenuity and workmanship are to be commended. A real bright spot in the dismal state of affairs we see around us.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'm really floored at the response to these!

I really liked the design I eventually settled on, thought some people might find it interesting and I'd sell a few.... This has been well beyond what I thought people would like. The downside is that my supply of this wrought iron is limited, once it runs out I'll have to use modern steel unless I can source more original wrought iron.

Other downside is that I only have so much free time to forge a few nights a week, and maybe a Sunday afternoon. So the throughput of my "shop" is quite limited, and that's the reason it takes me quite a while to get to people's orders. I try to do my best so that the wait was worth it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If and when you take orders again please put me on the list. Just tell me when and where to send money.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It's a shame you didn't have the dies to stamp 2014 in Roman numerals. That really would have made this one look a relic. I appreciate items with character and am really pleased with my "double-die" opener. Good buy Huntsonora!

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Roman numerals!
Good God is that a great idea!
.......I will have a stamp made for that. smile
thanks!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just got mine today and it is freaking awesome! Thank you for posting that opportunity up and when you get caught up let me know as I will order some as gifts. These are great

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thought some people might find it interesting and I'd sell a few.... This has been well beyond what I thought people would like.
Some folks recognize quality and appreciate "old world craftsmanship", seems you are 2 for 2.

Other downside is that I only have so much free time to forge a few nights a week, and maybe a Sunday afternoon.

Completely understand that!
You obviously enjoy making these, and have great pride in your work, don't get pressured into making more than you enjoy doing.
Enjoyed the tutorial and pics, (thanks) keep them coming.
Put me down for a couple "sunday afternoon" ones. (when you get caught up)

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks guys!
I make mistakes and goof up once and a while, I try to keep it to a minimum and catch things before they get out of my hands.

Well, it had to happen sometime, a mistake got sent out on my part.
I spelled someone's name wrong on the side of the opener.
**forehand slap**

With sincerest apologies to that person, I'll be forging a new correct one before any other work happens.

Last edited by BlackFrog; 02/18/14.
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I received my opener today and Todd's work is truly amazing. Definitely a lot of pride in his work. Enclosed in the package was a print off of the process. I thought that was really neat. I agree with Roy don't burn yourself out on these.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have one of the "modern steel" versions . . . still cool as shi!!, and man is it beefy, well-conceived, with a great feeling of old-world craftsmanship. Love it.

Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above. Don't fence me in.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
You know what? I look forward to getting done with work so I can go home and light up the forge. Working red hot metal into shape is incredibly "therapeutic" so to say, for all that ails you.

Last edited by BlackFrog; 02/18/14.
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (1eyedmule, 21, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 3,930 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,759
Posts18,535,662
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.