Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bravo Sir, well done.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Sorry guys, but his may be a little long.

I don't build anything. I don't craft or create anything. I don't sell anything, or drive anything or make your money work for you. Just like everyone else who works, there are times when I hate my job; times when it's bearable and times when I wonder how in hell I ever ended up here. Then there are times when my heart breaks. I'm an oncology nurse.

Over the last couple months, I've had occasion to take care of an elderly cancer patient who has come into the hospital half a dozen times. He was a fun old guy with something growing in his lungs that modern medicine can't cut out or stop from growing and while he was always in good humor and fun to talk to, things were progressing a little faster than he was aware would happen.

His wife, always struck me as a bit cold and distant. In the time I took care of her husband, she probably didn't say a dozen words to me, other than to ask questions about what I was doing, what treatment he was getting, what I was hanging on his IV pole; tests being run etc. Never a smile, never really a thank you or other expression you normally see with elderly people brought up in a different time when service was acknowledged.

I realized now, that she was just too damn scared of the future without her Jimmy.

Yesterday, he started his final decline. There won't be any discharge this time. He's in the hospital and this is where he will remain. His wife met me in the hall in the afternoon that was so busy I didn't have time to think. She came up to me and asked if I had a minute. Hell, I didn't have 20 seconds to spare, much less a minute, but those old instincts kicked in and I took a deep breath and made it a point not to look at my watch.

She told me that she knew the end was fast approaching and she didn't want her husband to suffer and asked what I could do to help. I told her that he needed to change his code status so that if he slipped away, we could let him go. As it was now, if she faded, we had to do everything we could to revive him. She asked if I'd talk to him about it. So I did. You can imagine this is a delicate conversation, but in this case, I'm thinking Jimmy was ready to face facts.

We went over the options and he elected to accept no code status. If he slipped away, we would let him go. When he said it, I told him I'd get the order in his chart and we'd transfer him to a private room and I patted him on the shoulder and started to walk out of the room. His wife said: "Thank you...thank you...bless you." You can imagine how difficult that was to endure without letting that old dam of stoicism break.

My shifts are 12 hours long. Last night was 14. It was a biotch of a day! So, after I got all my charting done and all I could think about was getting out the door, I went back down the hall to say good night to my patients as is my practice. I saved his room for last.

He looked comfortable; gone was the expression of struggle and fear. He'd accepted that life had an expiration date and knew his was up. His color was better and he was breathing easier. I told him I was off for a day and I'd see him on Wednesday. He said maybe not. I said he'd have to put up with me for a little while longer. He asked: "You think so?" I told him I was pretty sure of it.

His wife had changed completely. That cold, aloof, distant woman was now like the best matronly grandmother one could imagine. Her dam of self control and steel had finally broken. Acceptance has a way of doing that. They were both finally comfortable with what the future held and all that reserve I'd seen before was just a way of doing battle with that damn disease and coping.

So, yesterday was one of the worst days I've ever had as a nurse, but not because of these two people. It was because of the other self-serving, selfish patients who wanted to be served like royalty for little things like stomach bugs and headaches, while just down the hall a nice old gentleman was contemplating his impending death and saying goodbye to all that he'd come to love and cherish.

He didn't make the day suck. Patients like him make it a lot easier to contemplate going back to work after a day of rest.

I'm hoping he's still there on Wednesday, but part of me hopes he isn't. Part of me hopes he slips away, with that nice old woman holding his hand.

Mr. Chamberlain.....I was just getting ready to have my supper. I am going to delay that for a few minutes and pour myself a drink, hoisting it to you and Mr. Jimmy............Bless both of you.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thank you, Dan, for sharing this with us. Your story brings me back to watching my Dad die in ICU four years ago and the nurses and Doctors there.
My Mom would fit the description of Mr. Jimmie's wife.

May God richly Bless you for what you do and who you are.

My prayers go out for Mr. Jimmy and his family and for you in your daily work.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a tough gig you're doing Dan and it takes a tough person to be able to do it. Thanks for being there for Mr and Mrs Jimmy.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Dan, My dad is going through a tough time with cancer right now. He has multiple mialoma and had stem cell treatment 3 years ago. He relapsed about a month ago. He means everything to me and I have been a rollercoaster of emotions.

Its people like you that make it a little bit easier for us. THANK YOU so much for your compassionate and diligent service. If we ever meet dinner is on me. Keep on keepin on man cause you really don't know how many people you are impacting. The world needs more people who give a $hit. Hope Jesus blesses your socks off.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Always hard to guarantee that they will not use extraordinary measure......glad they are set to let him cross over without that

It must be really hard to have to deal with this every day

bless you for what you do

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

DC, you are doing very well whenever you give compassionate care in spite of the intensive care demanded of you for those patients assigned each day. Bless you and Please continue.

In the ~ 17k surgical cases I've done in the thirty-five some years I've given anesthesia, I've had dozens ride the line between life and death during cases and three folks die in my hands due to the co-morbidities and a couple in the days to follow. Each time, I considered quitting my chosen profession in various stages of grief; yet, post-situational meetings worked me back to the reality of what we do and the business we are in..And this is life. My stat's are actually a bit low but that has been a very small consolation.

Still, I remember the moments, the faces, and families I talked to afterwards and probably will forever.

Stick with it; you are needed.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
I'm an oncology nurse.

My wife is a nurse, so I understand why this is one of the toughest jobs in nursing. That you could write what you did, the way you did, is evidence to me that you're in the right place, doing the right thing, for all the right reasons.

Bless you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Made my room dusty.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dan I'd say you found your calling, I bet you were a great peace officer as well.

Thanks for what you are doing.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Dan,

The ordeal of watching a loved one die such an awful death is life changing. I cannot imagine the effects of watching it hundreds of times in a career of treating patients.

You have my respect and admiration. It is easy to read in your post that you are in your career for the right reasons.

May God bless and keep you.

CT

plus 1. lost most of our older and a few younger of our families , we have both had cancer and survived, loving compashinate care is one of the greatest gifts a care giver has ,thank you.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Cancer sucks. Bless you and your coworkers for all you do. Peace and Strength to Mr. and Mrs. Jimmy

Dale

This space for rent

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for the support. Great people here.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Keep rockin brother, some roads aint easy and some were put here with the ability to walk them.

Your doing great things, better yet you have given us a glimpse into what you and people like you do everyday.

Thank You

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Thank you for sharing. You touch lives, one at a time. You touch our lives here as well. Again, job well done!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Damn allergies.

Hadn't seen your post until just now. Your a good man DC.

Your post brought back memories of Mom. In her case she died at home with me holding her like you would a young child. She had my sister at home with her for about six months before she died.

God bless DC.

Last edited by Karnis; 02/12/14.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Updates?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know how I missed this post but thanks for taking the time to write that out. And thanks for the work you are doing. That was a touching post.

Don't believe everything you think.

You ain't learnin' nothin' when you're talking.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dan, your post has caused me to reflect on a couple of things, one of them being the fact that we lost both Mom and Dad in recent years at length of life. Even so, neither was easy, but both had excellent caregivers. Your post also made me consider the positions of my four brothers and spouses and realize that every one of us is somehow connected to healthcare either directly or indirectly. So I've heard a whole lot of the angst that is caused by the grumbling, petty patients. Sometimes it almost looks like that must be most of what nursing is. Yet your telling and my experience tell a different story. I don't think any of us can truly express the value you add to life for the people you touch. But, thanks Dan!

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You Sir are a good man!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 60 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,505 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,192
Posts18,484,986
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.