-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
15lb 308! What a total waste of engineering and steel!

I was flipping through the latest issue of Guns and ammo and saw some test targets and Chronograph figures from the newest and much ballyhoo'ed Nemo AR rifle.

Chrongraph chart showed a 180gr bullet at 2588, 150 at 2914 and some nice tight groups. So I thought, hmmm and pretty accurate 308, as those are common speeds from any number of 308 rifles including my 20 inch bbl'ed CETME. But then I began to read the article and this is no 308, it is a 300 WINCHESTER MAGNUM that has been de masculated and weenied out down to pure 308 ballistics by hampering it with a stubby 18 inch barrel. To FURTHER insult the intelegence of the AR buyers out there, the damned thing comes in at a not so svelte FIFTEEN FREAKIN POUNDS! YEAH, THAT is what we have been clamoring for, a 15 lb AR that belches fire and brimstone from a too short barrel that is, in real world performance, a 15lb 308..... I can see the lines forming already.....

I can only hope, for thier sake and that of the shooting public that they soon offer this with a 24 inch barrel and some unneccesary weight trimmed from somewhere. There HAS to be 3 or 4 lbs in the frame or somesuch that can be skeletonized or alloys used.

Anyone else read this gun rag piece and wonder "What are they THINKING/SMOKING!" ?

IMO, not a good plan or combination here, but there will probably be people who buy it thinking they are getting a really powerful AR, and allowing the recoil and nose and flames to bolster this mis guided viewpoint.

I was surprised that Nemo would bring this out in this configuration with its obvious flaws. I can keep up with it just fine with my much lighter CETME, as could anyone with a 20 inch or greater tubed AR-10 at less money and far less weight.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Doesn't seem much point to that!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Kind of what I thought, and in spades. I cannot think of one thing this beast can do that my CETME cannot equal other thn an accuracy advantage to the Nemo. But performance and hitability? Same-same there as I see it.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Sad thing is, they will probably sell plenty of 'em to the "Tacticool" crowd...I'll stick with bolts and levers.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That rifle configuration makes as much sense as putting an afterburner on a turtle.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The rifle is designed for close contact defense. The original conception was if you somehow miss up close the flames will light the perpetrater on fire.

Shod

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Makes as much sense as some idiot putting used tires on his wife's car while building custom rifles for himself.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Shod
The rifle is designed for close contact defense. The original conception was if you somehow miss up close the flames will light the perpetrater on fire.

Shod

THAT, raht thay-ah, is FUN NEE! Made me laugh with that one.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes but it's a 300WM! Perfect for those mall ninja's that have everything else!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Like the guy who tapes three trauma plates to his back for his job as a mall security guard in case he has to take direct hits to his back from a 338 Lapua? Yeah, that guy will be ALL OVER this contraption.

The overall idea wasn't too bad, a 300 WinMag AR could be kinda fun and cool, but it needed lots more Engineering and testing to get the frame weight down and allow for enough barrel length to burn up 75 grains or so of a slow burning powder.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Makes as much sense as some idiot putting used tires on his wife's car while building custom rifles for himself.

That doesn't make sense? whistle

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

181 members (450yukon, 375sunrise, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 23 invisible), 1,936 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,510
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.