Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
This is why it may not be as impressive as it sounds.
[Linked Image]
This is just under MOA. I am not looking for any better, that will work for my purpose with that rifle.

I do love it when people use that description of their group size.

J.A.F.O.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
The 225 interbond always shot well for me. I sold my 338's but still have 400 interbonds if you want more at a discount.

Bb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those are interesting choices for LR shooting. What targets is the rifle for and what scope? I was hoping to use the 225gr TTSX for medium range from a Ruger but plans have changed.

Jason

F
F
I noticed the "magneto speed" group above. Do you find it changes POI and group size? Just curious as I was thinking of getting one. I do a lot of shooting at night.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The magnetospeed changes group size and/or POI sometimes...and sometimes it doesn't. Like with everything else, one average, heavier barrels are less drastically affected.

Empirical results rule!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had one of those 695's in .338.. It was a good shooter!

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Those are interesting choices for LR shooting. What targets is the rifle for and what scope? I was hoping to use the 225gr TTSX for medium range from a Ruger but plans have changed.

Jason

Well it is for long range hunting, not long range shooting per se. Though it will get me out a good long ways at this elevation, approximately 1450. This is my elk/mulie/bear rifle and it seems to work. I have a SS 3-9 on it, hence the targets.

J.A.F.O.

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by fisherortho
I noticed the "magneto speed" group above. Do you find it changes POI and group size? Just curious as I was thinking of getting one. I do a lot of shooting at night.

Like Carl said, it seems to vary. My .243 doesn't seem to notice as much as the 338. I think the fact that I have to readjust the magneto speed every shot or so due to recoil induced displacement creates some havoc.

J.A.F.O.

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I had one of those 695's in .338.. It was a good shooter!

I am pretty sure it would actually shoot quite a bit better if it was for the nut behind the wheel. But it is really comfortable to shoot and has the best trigger I own.

J.A.F.O.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm actually impressed you could do better than barely keeping those interbonds on the paper, which is how they typically acted for me.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I read the title to this thread, I thought at first it had something to do with the 223 AI threads. laugh

Now that I'm disappointed, I'll show you my ragged holes. I shot them yesterday.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

New Bartlein medium Palma has almost 200 through it. Shooting well.

Here's a ragged "hole" on paint at 660 yards. 3-shot

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's my best group and closest thing to 1 ragged hole I have ever shot.

Sako Finnlight in 300WM shooting Federal Premium 180 grain Acccubonds, 3 shots @ 100 yds:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 300MAG; 02/17/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Nick_or_Rutledge

Jason

Well it is for long range hunting, not long range shooting per se. Though it will get me out a good long ways at this elevation, approximately 1450. This is my elk/mulie/bear rifle and it seems to work. I have a SS 3-9 on it, hence the targets.

Sounds like a good set-up. I was planning to use a 3-15x Super Chicken on my 338.

Jason

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
5 shot group from my 300 WSM:

[Linked Image]

10 shot group from same rifle:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My elk rifle and elk load: Ruger m77 mKII 338 WIN MAG....:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I took three rifles to the range today; two 22-250s and a .243. I had fits with one 22-250- scope didn't have enough to get it on for windage! But it shot a ragged group about 2 moa left of where I wanted it.

I then shot another 22-250 for the first time. I just picked one load that worked in the other one and winged it for two others using 4064. I sighted it in and shot 4 groups. All were ragged hole groups. I like this rifle smile

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
When I read the title to this thread, I thought at first it had something to do with the 223 AI threads. laugh

Now that I'm disappointed, I'll show you my ragged holes. I shot them yesterday.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Throw some calipers on those groups. For some reason they look bigger than what the red pen is letting on...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Throw some calipers on those groups. For some reason they look bigger than what the red pen is letting on...

Really good groups...... really get under your skin!
Your insecurities are glaringly obvious...you need to lighten up!

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Nick_or_Rutledge

Jason

Sounds like a good set-up. I was planning to use a 3-15x Super Chicken on my 338.

Jason

I had the 3-15 on mine for while, but it just seemed like too much scope if that makes sense.

It is a great choice though, not knocking it.

J.A.F.O.

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Really good groups...... really get under your skin!
Your insecurities are glaringly obvious...you need to lighten up!

You guys are funny...Will someone please post a 3 shot group from a .50 that is something similar to 1.75" but is "one ragged hole"? Thanks in advance.

J.A.F.O.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Bullet holes are rarely full size, so you can't measure the outside of the group and subtract bullet diameter and expect an accurate answer.

Even if you could, look at the holes at 2 o'clock and 7 o'clock. They are nowhere near touching, so their centers can't be any closer than .264" as a lower bound.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,159
Posts18,502,978
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.