-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
T
Dan, you see any coyotes around your area? I know I never have. I just looked online, says they are more toward the western parts of MD. Makes sense.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We are in the new stages of a coyote population ....I've been monitoring deer carcass with trail cams and have pics of several in prince George's county a few in Charles hard to get them in over caller though . have killed 4 in southern md in last 15 years of calling here .....quick trip across river to va and they are every where

Think i need a bigger gun
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Western md up by thurmont and Montgomery county are heavily populated

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shoot your foxes and the coyotes will replace them. That wasn't a good trade for us.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hunters didn't get the foxes here...the mange did. Will never see the population levels of the pre-1960s.

Coyotes are thick so now we need another apex predator to dominate...the Wolf. wink

Last edited by roundoak; 02/17/14.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep wolf or hunter putting in 6-7 nights a week . I think I've come to realize that Iam more in love with hunting over a call than chasing deer. Not quite Turkey status but definitely out every night. several of the farms that for past 10 years I've killed in the double digits out of are booming with rabbits and void of fox. May have moved on to greener pastures where that wssm and 17 hornet can't get them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak
Coyotes are thick so now we need another apex predator to dominate...the Wolf. wink

Careful what you ask for.
Wolf's are great Coyote control as long as you don't care for hunting Deer or Elk.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Down here we've nothing to compare to what you guys up north have. Mainly greys. However, I've been known to call in a grey or two........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

sometimes they are even a target of opportunity.

[Linked Image]

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
So it's the greys that climb not reds, right?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Lockhart

That is my understanding!

Best,

GWB

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
You are right about the greys.. They do climb.. When I was a kid, my cousins hunted foxes with hounds.. They loved the reds because they would lead the dogs on great chases... They shot foxes when the chance came, but they really liked to kill the greys because they were prone to short chases.. Often they headed for the nearest underground retreat.. Pretty animals... I would love to have a hide for my house.. But they don't live in this area..

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

I agree that they are beautiful animals.

[Linked Image]

I had this one done back when I was into "mounts".

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 02/18/14.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've never even seen a red. We are overrun with greys here.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

Fur taken on the Powder River that year. Good memories from back in the day.....

That's outstanding

Totally !

Last edited by nitrosonic; 02/18/14.

"Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting" (Colonel Townsend Whelen)
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
We have a few around where I'm at both reds and greys. I think the coyotes ate most though.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Every one I see. They are pure hell on quail.

Bullllschidt. We used to be wrapped up in quail AND red foxes in GA. Then came 1000 acre farms (few fence-rows) and COYOTES.

L
L
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Every one I see. They are pure hell on quail.

Bullllschidt. We used to be wrapped up in quail AND red foxes in GA. Then came 1000 acre farms (few fence-rows) and COYOTES.

I gotta agree with Take_a_knee on farm practices and habitat loss doing more to both quail and foxes, and anything else for that matter.

Up here where I live if the habitat is right we have good numbers of Ruffed Grouse, Foxes, Coyotes, Wolves, Bobcats, Lynx, Cougars and Bears. Sometimes all in the same area!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, Fox and Quail were getting along just fine before man showed up.
Matter of fact, I'd be willing to bet those farmers' "barn cats" are responsible for more game bird depredation than Fox are. If not more they're certainly a big part of the problem.

My fur buyer was grading Fox when I stopped by to sell my Cats the other day. He told me allot of Reds are starting to show up in No. NV. I guess they're coming in from UT&ID. Figures,,,, there wasn't a Red anywhere when I lived there. Just a few Kit Fox.

A big pile of Reds is a true thing of beauty.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by Lockhart

That is my understanding!

Best,

GWB

That would explain the ladder.

Originally Posted by geedubya

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
FG,

You might not think so at first glance, but ladders are an important tool for me.

As you probably know folks in different regions of the country hunt differently.

Where we hunt in the Texas hill country (North of Uvalde Texas) the terrain is hilly, rocky and overgrown with mesquite, juniper hackberry, and scrub oak. Temps between May and November can range upward of 115 degrees in the daytime. So, we do very little spot and stalk. If you don't sprain an ankle or break a leg or get a stone bruise, stuck by cactus, raked by cat claw or snake bit, your subect to heat stroke. So, we mostly do stand hunting for deer and hogs, and we got a ton of hogs. We use spin-cast feeders in the hope of luring animals out to where a shot can be had.

Here is an example. I call this stand the canopy. It is on the backside of one of the highest hills in this area.

[Linked Image]

I have two spincast feeders set up for sniping hoglets.

[Linked Image]

This one is on the south, and can be seen in the distance in the first picture. It is a 164 yd. shot according to my range finder.

[Linked Image]

This is the second of two feeders, it is on the north side of the stand. You might be able to make out the stand just under the dot. It is a 175 yard shot.

Some of the guys have the new jack up feeders, but I'm using the same legs and barrels that I started with 15 years ago. Use a ladder to climb up and dump the corn in the barrels.

Not particularly designed for fox hunting, but greys love deer corn and I've sniped a number of them in the late afternoon at the feeders.

Best,

GWB

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (10gaugemag, 308ld, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 17 invisible), 1,742 guests, and 995 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,630
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.