Page 1 of 2 1 2
Stush Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking for a good quality pair of hiking boots. Four criteria:

1) Good support
2) Good sole that won't disintegrate in a year
3) Uninsulated - I've got cold weather boots that I like.
4) Waterproof

I have looked at dozens of pairs and online reviews are worthless it seems. I've got a couple of decent length hikes (10 to 20 mi) planned for the summer and want by buy a new pair now so that I can properly break them in before going.

I don't really have a budget. Would rather pay for a quality boot than be miserable on a hike.

Stush
GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Call Lathrop and Sons and do their custom fit option.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Don't know what kind of country you hunt, but I have tried a lot of different boots for rough, steep hunting and I hike a lot for work and, for me, the Lowa GTX Tibets are the best boots I have ever used - they fit my feet very well and hold up well. In my experience, gore-tex only lasts so long in a boot and then sort of acts like a water repellent layer after a lot of heavy use and the boot begins to leak a bit. For me, good gtx boots do stay more water resistant than boots without it. If I just use a boot for hunting and not working or 'casual' hiking, the gore-tex does remain effective longer...

Stush Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This won't be used as much for hunting as it will for climbing/hiking. Maybe some early fall hunting in the east, but more likely used as a summer boot for hiking and non-technical rock climbing.

I've seen the Lowa brand before, but didn't know much about them. I wish I had a place in a reasonable distance to try a pair on, but the only place close is an REI. I'm not sure if I trust their guidance. That's why I came here for some first hand opinions

Stush
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
If they fit your feet, the Lowas are perfect for serious hiking, rock scrambling. They are a very comfortable boot, no issues on strength, very well-built, great for steep side-hilling, hiking thru rocks. I wear them for elk hunting in Idaho. If your budget can handle it, order a couple of sizes and return the boots that don't work...

IC B2

Stush Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Where do you feel they run size wise?

I can wear anywhere between a 10 and an 11, depending upon the boot/shoe.

Most places will let you exchange for size, but I'd like to get close on the first try. smile.

In just about every winter hunting boot I've ever owned, an 11 is usually just about right.

Stush
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
not sure I can help with that - I think they run 'true' to size, but size is tricky for me - I normally wear 11 1/2 to 12, but find size 13 in most hiking boots or running shoes work best - to accommodate high arches that start to sag after a long day of hiking and also gives me more toe room when coming down steep slopes. If the boots or shoes fit my feet well, I never notice the extra space in front, early in the day. If you can go to the REI, just try them on and ignore the freaks that work there.

Stush Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That's what I was going to do, but it doesn't look like my REI stocks that Lowa model, or any Lowa boots at all from what I can tell from checking their stock from the website.

The Tibet certainly gets great reviews everywhere I look though. It's in the price range I was looking at. Planning to order a pair and try them out. I'll just have to roll the dice on size and exchange if necessary.

Online reviews are tough to read when it comes to boots and shoes. Thanks for first hand feedback.

REI isn't all bad, but their workers generally have little true outdoor knowledge - at least here. Mostly a bunch of college age 'urban warriors'. Well intentioned, but clueless.

Stush
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Tibets are absolutely awesome. I can't think of a reason to not wear a boot with a full rubber rand and Vibram sole, and Lowa's just fit my feet really well. They'll go everywhere with me, except when Plastics are needed.

But for the lower 48, I can't see needing more boot than the Tibet GTX or the Sheephunter.

Tanner

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lowa Tibet for a stiffer boot for heavier packs
Lowa Renegade for less stiff boot for less heavy packs

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
shoebuy.com has a 25% off sale through today and I think free return shipping, so you could order up those lowas.

Last edited by handwerk; 02/17/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I recently bought a pair of Lowa Mountain boots on line after trying a slightly different Lowa boot locally. I was assured that all Lowa are built off the same lasts, so there shouldn't be a problem..

To cut a long story short, they were the most uncomfortable boots I've ever worn, with what feels like a very high archs support. I usually never buy boots online, and this reminds never to break that rule. Its a shame really as in other respects they were very nice boots.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lowa Renegade is lightweight, no break in, if you're just hikjng miles this is the boot I wear. Very comfortable.

For backpacking, more stiffness & support I wear an Asolo TPS.

Both of these boots have a little narrower arch-heel area and a roomy toe area it seems, which work great with my foot.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Snubbie, how are the Asolos for durability?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You might also consider the Hanwag Yukon or Alaskan GTX, depending if you like gore-text or not.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by snubbie
Lowa Renegade is lightweight, no break in, if you're just hikjng miles this is the boot I wear. Very comfortable.

For backpacking, more stiffness & support I wear an Asolo TPS.

Both of these boots have a little narrower arch-heel area and a roomy toe area it seems, which work great with my foot.

Thanks for the tip on the Lowas.

My feet are shaped much the same, and Asolo boots have been my absolute favorites.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fitting boots is not a one size fits all or brand. Sometime ago I discovered Cabela's Rimrock Hiking Boot and have proven very durable in the terrain I encounter in the Western and Midwestern states.

I keep on hand one size for warm/hot weather and one size larger for cold weather. A light wool sock, a Thinsulate sock and gaiters suffice for 90% of my cold weather activity.

$120.00

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I don't like insulated Gore-tex boots. The goretex is a bootie inside the boot with the insulation outside. When it gets soaked, your foot is in a waterproof baggie floating in ice water. Besides being cold from that, when the insulation is soaked, moisture from your foot can't escape so you get a double whammy. I prefer an uninsulated Gore-tex with room for extra warm socks.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have settled on Lowa since they fit me better than Hanwag.

In my opinion the build quality is equal.

I have 6 Lowa's, and for light hiking the Lowa Tempest with the Lathrop and Sons Synergy footbeds is the most comfortable boot I have ever worn.

I buy the boots for a fraction of the cost at Sierra Trading Post.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by roundoak
Fitting boots is not a one size fits all or brand. Sometime ago I discovered Cabela's Rimrock Hiking Boot and have proven very durable in the terrain I encounter in the Western and Midwestern states.

I keep on hand one size for warm/hot weather and one size larger for cold weather. A light wool sock, a Thinsulate sock and gaiters suffice for 90% of my cold weather activity.

$120.00

[Linked Image]

I had a pair of those almost 10 years ago. I wore them hard hiking until I bought a new hiking boot. Then I wore them mowing grass for several years. I wore the tread completely off until they were slick on the bottom but no glue joint, stitch or leather ever failed.

My foot has changed in middle age and the two boots I mentioned work well for me. I believe when I bought those Rimrocks they were like $80-$85.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,611
Posts18,511,737
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.