Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Stush Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm taking my family - myself, wife, and three teen kids - to Yellowstone this summer. I've been there a dozen times or more and have a good handle on what I want to show them, but I'd like to book a day trip via horseback into Yellowstone.

I know what the summer crowds are like. I'd rather get off the roads and enjoy the countryside. To that end, I've got a couple of day hikes available as options, but I'd still like to take them all on a day horseback trip. Just an out in the morning, back at days end ride. Going to make sure that everyone gets some saddle time here before the trip, etc.

So one question is, what route, destination, area, etc in Yelliwstone would you suggest for such a trip? Most outfitters seem to be open to suggestion on trips.

Most importantly, the NPS has a list of "Authorized Stock Outfitters". Trying to pick one from this list is nearly impossible. I don't want to be signed up with some outfit that is going to extol the virtues of the wolf in Yellowstone and get us in touch with Mother Earth.

I'm looking to take a good trip with a decent outfit that can show us a nice day in the park. From this list in the link below, do any names jump out as ones to avoid? Or ones that are particularly good?

Yellowstone Authorized Stock Outfitters

Stush
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
We went with Hell's a Roarin and had a nice day ride up to a beautiful lake, but not in the park. I would recommend them tho...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I lived in Cody, WY, for 26 years prior to moving to Billings, MT, and got to know a little about a couple of the outfits you named. K BarZ would be first choice with Gary Fales coming in second. Dawna Barnett was a barrel racer when I was announcer at the Cody Night Rodeo so I know her better than Fales. I know nothing about any of the others on your list but have contacted a lady that is connected with the tour type business but haven't heard back yet. She might know someone better.

One good thing about K Bar Z is that they are a guest ranch pretty close to YNP and unless this lady comes back with something different, I would probably stay at their ranch. Beautiful place and they are first class people.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Stush Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
BB215, thank you. I appreciate the effort. I am in the process of trying to book things now. In park lodging is nearly all booked up for the summer already.

Stush
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would stay on the Cody side Jackson js full of rich liberal a-holes. You do need to plan a day trip to Jackson some cool stuff And the Tetons are beautiful

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You and your family would profit from spending at least one day at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody. Two days much better.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If you are just looking for a couple hours ride, I have used the Xanterra stables at Canyon before with no complaints. They do one and two hour rides and a trail ride/chuck wagon/stage coach cookout thing. We all had fun and would go again, but it sounds like you are looking for a bit longer trip.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I can tell you first hand on 3 of the listed outfitters, and I would stay away from llamas.

Kim Kelsey from 9 quarter circle ranch is a second generation dude ranch operation with horseback trips and years of experience. My father guided for his father back in the 1940's. The picture I have posted on here before is my father at the main gate of the 9 quarter circle ranch.

This is a well established ranch that knows both people and horses. Anyone that knows horses also knows how serious it is to have good horses that don't spook on a trail. The 9 quarter circle is a safe bet.

Ronnie Wright of Beartooth Plateau Outfitters is another first quality operation. Ronnie has been running his operation for years out of Cooke City in the summer for back country trips and elk hunting out of Wisdom, Montana.

Ronnie is an active participant in the Big Hearts Under The Big Sky, that helps take cancer victims and wounded veterans on hunting/fishing trips. He is a great person and would be a safe bet on a back country trip.

Mountain Sky Guest Ranch and Yancy Artburn is another top rated operation. They have a beautiful guest ranch up Big Creek drainage to the Yellowstone. The guest ranch has good wranglers and stock capable of a good and safe back country trip.

I have personally known these people and operations for years and they are still in business in an industry that is not easy to keep in business during a time when technology has replaced outdoor activities.

Jesse Stovall at the gate of the 9 quarter circle somewhere in the 1940's...

[Linked Image]p

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Stush Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jnyork
You and your family would profit from spending at least one day at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody. Two days much better.

Yep. I've been there before and we are going to do a day or two in Cody after the park. Great museum. Almost impossible to do it justice in a day or two.

Stush
Stush Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Shrapnel,

Outstanding. Thank you.

That is exactly the kind of information that I wanted. There were some on that list that looked good and some that I knew were a no go immediately.

Sorting out the ones that are BS from the good ones via a website is a challenge.

Stush

Stush
IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
We went with Hell's a Roarin and had a nice day ride up to a beautiful lake, but not in the park. I would recommend them tho...

I could spend a day with Warren Johnson. He's been around a long time.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,467
Posts18,529,234
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.