Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Come on really an event designed for those that sucked so bad at figure skating. They may have a chance to win something. Oh and is she really a woman? I saw an adams apple and good god she is ugly.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think ice dancing is pretty.

But it's not a sport.

Certainly not an Olympic sport.

--except that it is. But it shouldn't be.

You know how the Olympics got started, right? A bunch of Greek city-states got sick of getting themselves killed in order to find out which one of them had the biggest badasses, so they invented the Olympic Games in order to demonstrate their respective badassery to one another without violence--at least without mortal violence, at least most of the time. That way they could make military decisions about each other with a reasonable degree of accuracy.

So the sports that belong in the Olympics are the ones with at least some sort of martial aspect or usefulness.

Wrestling? Yes.

Track? Javelin throw? Discus? Shot put? Absolutely.

Biathlon? Archery? Oh yeah.

Judo? Boxing? Cross-country skiing? Weightlifting? Swimming? Sure.

Figure skating? Uh, no.

Ski jumping? Basketball? High diving? Curling? No, no, no.

What about football or hockey? Good question.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd rather watch anything!

And I've had a lot of scotch tonight.

ANYTHING!!!

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't help but think, Blades of Glory. Is it just me?

Eric

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Barak

Ironically the Olympic attempted to drop wrestling from the 2020 games but reinstated it...

Trampolines are the new rage FWIW

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep, when the ol lady start watching $hit like that I go outside hike up into the hills build a fire and carve something. Good for the soul and keeps the crap tv from rottting your mind. I wouldn't want to start thinking like one of the weird Californians, you know the San Francisco variety.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by EricM
I can't help but think, Blades of Glory. Is it just me?

Eric
Nope. It was the first thing that crossed my mind too. One of the WORST movies I've ever seen. (gag)...

Only thing worse than ice dancing is that damned show "Batchelor"... As soon as the wife turns that on I'm upstairs watching something (read: anything) else..

That one dame on ice has three "innies" - one belly button and two boobs.. Geez... Someone needs to force-feed that lady a couple sandwiches..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That one dame on ice has three "innies" - one belly button and two boobs.. Geez...

Maybe She has been hanging out with Orenthal. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great for the Americans! But after the close of the Olympics, they all disappear from view, except for the hockey players.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You get me out on the ice with skates and I'll show how to break dance, as long as I remain alert and able to function.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Before you discount the athletic part of ice dancing, try putting on hockey skates and whirling your lady around your head at 20 mph while going backwards. To win, she has to retain 90% of her body parts. If she dies, you lose.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Amazing that folks get wound up on things... watch it or don't. Thats about all that applies in this instance.

For those that think things should stay the way they were when the greeks cobbled up the games, remember we now drive vehicles, fly planes etc...

And no I don't always agree that what they come up with is interesting to me. So guess what, I don't watch whats not interesting to me.

Skating of any kind including hockey has never interested me. DUnno why, but I skip it mostly. And thats not a dis on skating, just ain't my cup of tea so I have figured out how to deal with it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
40 years ago men didn't even know there was such a thing as ice/figure skating, now they are talking about it, what a bunch of sissy's!

This is an automated statement made by this computer, not an actual observation by Shrapnel as he still doesn't know what ice skating is...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by EricM
I can't help but think, Blades of Glory.

I couldn't help thinking the guy looks like Jeff Daniels in Dumb and Dumber.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I couldn't help thinking how much meryl davis looks like princess Jasmine from Aladdin.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

(i'm outnumbered by women at my house. Seriously)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can still remember watching an ice show around 1963 or so, after we had moved to Roseau, MN. I was just a pre-schooler (which meant pre-1st grade in those days). Hockey I knew about already since that was then the virtual center of the natural ice hockey capital of Minnesota. I was under the assumption, all during the ice show, that we were watching puppets. The whole thing was over before it sunk in that people could actually do that kind of stuff while perched on thin steel blades - on ice. Of course, every 5-year-old boy in Roseau understood that only hockey skates were real skates however.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Before you discount the athletic part of ice dancing, try putting on hockey skates and whirling your lady around your head at 20 mph while going backwards. To win, she has to retain 90% of her body parts. If she dies, you lose.

It's a winter sport - I don't care for those nuts going down that trail of moguls. I do like watching the downhill and seeing them going so fast they miss gates!

I've heard the olympic committee wants to eliminate Greco-Roman wrestling - I think that's what the Greeks did long ago. But we'll keep those dumbass people with ribbons and run around the floor making lovely twirls!

Last edited by tpcollins; 02/18/14.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RWE
I couldn't help thinking how much meryl davis looks like princess Jasmine from Aladdin.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

(i'm outnumbered by women at my house. Seriously)
That's what their theme was. She looked like that on purpose.
The biggest problem with her is her voice. She sounds like a rapid fire Minnie Mouse. I couldn't listen to her for 3 min without freaking out.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Sonja Henie was a Norwegian skating star back in the 30's. She won 3 golds in figure skating plus a bunch of world titles. She later took up residence here in Idaho before returning to Norway later in life. I watched some videos of her skating. It was pretty mild by today's standards. A single 360 jump was big stuff. That was considered pretty athletic. Considering the triples & quads they do today, it was very amateurish but she was the best in the world for years.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
You didn't have to watch it.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 1234, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,519
Posts18,491,007
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.