Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Will -

Is the UAW in favor of Right to Work? If not, then I think it is very much in Corker and Haslam's wheelhouse.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The truth hurts sometimes. All the politicians did was state the obvious: If the unions get in the new plant goes somewhere else. Plain and simple.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smalljawbasser
Will -

Is the UAW in favor of Right to Work? If not, then I think it is very much in Corker and Haslam's wheelhouse.

Right to Work? Another fine example of how the right loves freeloaders. First the law requires you to pay non-union guys the same as their union coworkers in an organized workplace and THEN they pass another law telling you that you cannot even make these freeloaders pay for their representation or make them join up.

Hypocrisy.

And yes, Jorge, those were lies. Flat out denials by VW on all counts. It was another example of intimidation by politicos where they had no business intruding. It is a fine example of the depths that some will stoop to in service to their ideology.

Union or not, that was for the workers to decide. Threatening to put them on an uneven tax field compared to non-union companies? Scabbery... pure and simple scabbery by elected officials.

If that's your idea of fair then get down on your knees and go for it I suppose. If I'd had been a worker there and allowed to vote I'd have said "yes" just to give the middle finger to the guys threatening me. Course some guys just can't get enough of that kind of treatment I guess.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I lean to the right on most issues, but I am not anti-union. Anyone that has spent a few years in corporate American has been screwed before.

The CEO of Vail Resorts made all the low paid ski employees take a pay cut from $9.25 to $9. Meanwhile he pays himself $7 million a year.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
So it's ok in a non Right to Work state to force workers to pay union dues. but in a Right to Work state it's not ok to force companies to pay union and non-union workers doing the same job the same pay? that hypocrisy word comes to mind for me as well...

calling a guy that doesn't want to pay a union a freeloader?

I'm sorry, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I just cannot fathom a system in which an employer is forced to pay a certain wage based on anything but merit. coupled with the fact that I would have to pay what amounts to extortion money to make a living, a union will never be something that I personally could agree with.

This is America, and if you want to join a union, more power to you. By the same token, an employer should be able to tell you to pound sand if you want to be in one. It should work both ways.

"Collective Bargaining"? Thanks, but I'll pass.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
... calling a guy that doesn't want to pay a union a freeloader?

I'm in a good mood today. That's what they get called when I am feeling good.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Penguin
... calling a guy that doesn't want to pay a union a freeloader?

I'm in a good mood today. That's what they get called when I am feeling good.

Will

Or you call them that or worse over the internet. I'd bet you're not that mad, brash, or tough in person.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Originally Posted by srwshooter
they are not as good as american auto's,they are built out of anything they can pawn off on us. most are not even safe as recall after recall proves.stop buying the foriegn junk and be a american.

What is an "American auto" ?

Mike

A Toyota Tacoma for one... It actually has a higher US made part content than a Chevy Silverado. and unlike the Chevy, it isn't a total POS within 5 years.

Amen!...lol

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I lean to the right on most issues, but I am not anti-union. Anyone that has spent a few years in corporate American has been screwed before.

The CEO of Vail Resorts made all the low paid ski employees take a pay cut from $9.25 to $9. Meanwhile he pays himself $7 million a year.

He didn't make them take anything, they accepted it.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Unions: Pay me more so I can work less. I deal with them every day and that is their goal. Without question... And regarding the VW vote, the word was put out by corporate..just like with Boeing. Saddle us with Unions and we go somewhere else. At least for now that is...

Last edited by jorgeI; 02/19/14.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of course Corker played it up.

A UAW win would have damaged the states, even the regions, ability to attract new business, and that most certainly is his business.

It would be great to see an "in house" organization develop from this. VW has offered their help in doing so.

Last edited by MadMooner; 02/19/14.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
^^^This!^^^

Yeah. How are you gonna attract new business and lower unemployment if you are a hotbed for union activity. Counter intuitive.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by acooper1983

Trade unions I still see as a viable option due to the increase in training opportunities, retirements, and competitive final cost to the customer in commericial and industrial settings.

Trade unions are a skilled labor pool. Big construction company's can not waste valuable time trying to hire out of a help wanted ad and go through 10 people to find the one who can actually do the job and do it right and safely. Maybe they can still get away with it in the big cities, but screw offs and troublemakers don't last long on the job sites anymore, they get run off and replaced with some one who wants to work.

Bullschite given my experience on large to huge oil and gas projects over many years. I have had zero issue hiring competent crafts in the gulf coast, let alone Qatar, Kazakhstan and Korea that clearly out delivered on my projects in California, Alberta and what I was seeing in Queensland Australia, the latter three all strong union holds. This is exactly why we are developing projects outside the unionized areas. Simple data, that's all. Union productivity sucks and their rates are high, plain and simple supported by load of data.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"MSNBC: UAW Lost in Tennessee Because the South Is Too White for Unions"

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-...ecause-The-South-Is-Too-White-For-Unions

Go figure

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rem141r
ya but this is about VW, dude.

if you mean VW, then its because thats the way they do it in germany. however, in this case, the workers realized that the UAW offered them nothing and rightfully rejected them.

You're starting to get it. Good sign, dude.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If they had had a real reason the union would be in place. But sometimes it takes more than just union BS and stupid people to make that happen.

NRA Lifetime Member
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Unions and teacher tenure....need to go out of business!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Right to Work? Another fine example of how the right loves freeloaders. First the law requires you to pay non-union guys the same as their union coworkers in an organized workplace and THEN they pass another law telling you that you cannot even make these freeloaders pay for their representation or make them join up.

Hypocrisy.

Ain't it great. Sorry about your lack of negotiation skills. I thought you union boys got classes for that sort of thing?

Union or not, that was for the workers to decide. Threatening to put them on an uneven tax field compared to non-union companies? Scabbery... pure and simple scabbery by elected officials.

If that's your idea of fair then get down on your knees and go for it I suppose. If I'd had been a worker there and allowed to vote I'd have said "yes" just to give the middle finger to the guys threatening me. Course some guys just can't get enough of that kind of treatment I guess.

Leave it up to the union management to take the moral high road, right?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by acooper1983

Trade unions I still see as a viable option due to the increase in training opportunities, retirements, and competitive final cost to the customer in commericial and industrial settings.

Trade unions are a skilled labor pool. Big construction company's can not waste valuable time trying to hire out of a help wanted ad and go through 10 people to find the one who can actually do the job and do it right and safely. Maybe they can still get away with it in the big cities, but screw offs and troublemakers don't last long on the job sites anymore, they get run off and replaced with some one who wants to work.

Bullschite given my experience on large to huge oil and gas projects over many years. I have had zero issue hiring competent crafts in the gulf coast, let alone Qatar, Kazakhstan and Korea that clearly out delivered on my projects in California, Alberta and what I was seeing in Queensland Australia, the latter three all strong union holds. This is exactly why we are developing projects outside the unionized areas. Simple data, that's all. Union productivity sucks and their rates are high, plain and simple supported by load of data.

You are full of chit, the only data you or your company cares about is the bottom line. Sure there are bad union craftsmen, but ive worked around both, including in refineries all over the midwest, and the non union guys are the ones who are pushed to hard and get hurt, or dont install something properly etc because they dont have as good of training or are scared that if they dont run like an idiot they're going to get fired. Trade unions are needed today, and theres a reason why the skilled trades are growing when other types of unions are declining. Safety, training throughout your career, and obviously pay.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone

Hypocrisy.

Ain't it great. Sorry about your lack of negotiation skills. I thought you union boys got classes for that sort of thing?

Leave it up to the union management to take the moral high road, right?

Right to work for less, its true and there are plenty of numbers to prove it. Got hurt at work, we'll pay your immediate doctor bill, but soon as your better we're firing you, ya... no thanks.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,295
Posts18,525,777
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.