Hop To
W
WB300 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Hello Campfire!

First time posting after years of reading. I'm posting this question here as this is one of the most knowledgeable rifle sites I've come across. I'm still searching old posts, but it is slow going.

I recently purchased a used (2012 mfgr.) Sako 85 Finnlight in .30-06. The stock has what appears to be an adjustable cheek piece. The Monte Carlo type cheek piece is clearly a separate piece from the rest of the stock. When I remove the recoil pad to see what is involved in adjusting, there doesn't seem to be any hardware, just plastic. The plastic has cut-outs as if there would be 3 positions to adjust the cheek piece, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to adjust it. This is not the new soft touch stock. It is their plastic with what looks like rubber inserts in gray.

A phone call to Beretta proved pointless. I was told by one person that it was adjustable, another told me it was not, and a third told me it is but the hardware didn't come with that particular rifle.

Can anyone shed some light on these stocks? I've read that most people were unhappy and replaced these with a McMillan or similar. I'd like to keep this rifle all stock if possible.

As long as we're on the subject.... Has anyone found an after market recoil pad for these??? The one that comes with it is as soft as a brick. It has a weird notch at the top, so a regular grind-to-fit won't work. I've had 06's before, but this one seems to punch the shoulder pocket a little harder than I remember. Load development has been harsh.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My friend had one in 300WSM. I do not recall that the stock was adjustable. He had a bum shoulder but didn't complain about the recoil. However, the stock is the weakness of that rifle. For the price they charge, they need to put a good stock on it.

I can't bring myself to buy one because of the cost, and then I'd feel I would need to put a McMillan or something on it. Just don't care about the stock. Seems cheap on that rifle. Great rifle otherwise.

A Kimber Montana (maybe a Forbes? But I've never seen one>) stock on a Finnlight would rock.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Had a couple of 85,s with that stock and to the best of my knowledge they arent adjustable. The newer soft touch is considerabley better designed and easier on the eye....

W
WB300 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks folks!

A little internet research turned up something interesting. Apparently these stocks were the original used for that manufacturing year, but quickly went over to the one piece. There are a few like mine out there, but no one could figure out if it adjusts or not. Most responses were about people replacing the stock.

Bill

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have one of those stocks and played around with it but never tried to adjust the check piece. I replaced it with a McMillan as the Sako didn't fit me very well. If I can find it, I'll pull it out and see if I can adjust it. As I recall, the pad on mine didn't seem to be too bad but it's a 260 rem so recoil isn't bad to start out with.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I took a look at mine. You can pop the cheek rest piece with a small screw driver. It has a tab with a hook facing toward the font of the stock. There is no way to adjust it. I would surmise that you could/can purchase different height cheek rests to fit your needs. I have never seen them advertised. You might check with Accuflite Arms. They seem to have a lot of Sako Stuff.

http://s113.photobucket.com/user/atomchaser/library/sako%20stock

W
WB300 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
That's it! Thanks a bunch atomchaser!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Sako rifles are IMO the finest production rifles made. The metal work and overall consistency is second to no other production rifle. If there is a weak link, it is that flimsy stock they put on it and act like the rubber inserts are so great. Throw that stock away or store it somewhere nd buy a McMillan. I have a .243 that still wears the factory stock nd shoots 1/2" groups at 100 with little effort. My 300 wsm was where the more rigid stock made all the difference. Mind you mine are both 75 not the 85.

My buddy who reps for beretta gets offended when I tell him there flagship rifle has the worst stock on them.....he said it would put them out of the hunt and out of most folks price point. He's probably correct. You could put a
title more toward it nd get a custom rifle.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Sako M-85 Finnlight in 30-06 will print <1" 5 shot groups at 100yds. The stock is what it is and I don't mind using it (beating it up). I don't know if an after market stock would change the outcome of a hunt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I actually like the new rubber coated stocks they have...just bought a couple new Finnlights and they fit me perfectly. I won't be changing them out...

Rob
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
They are a utility rifle to be used and abused. I had a Sako 75 SS/Synthetic Hunter and other than being a bit heavy, it was a fine accurate hunting rifle. The price point of Sako has certainly risen from what I paid but ALOT of that has to to with the euro/dollar conversion. I suspect Sako will eventually get into a higher quality synthetic stock material like Kevlar/CF like Kimber is using. Wnchester and Sako are using the rubber plating in alot of their rifles. Mine held up on my 75. I would like to see the Tikka step up to a better synthetic stock like what Sako is currently using and Sako go with a Kevlar stock.

Does anyone think Tikka has stole some of Sako's thunder or does the Sako still seperate itself enough???

Last edited by mystro; 02/18/14.

The Lord loves humility.
zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have both Tikka and 2 Sako M85's. For a pure hunting rifle I think the Sako is superior due to its functionality. I use the Tikka for targets and long range work.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,800
Posts18,477,464
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.