Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Not a rifle but shotgun. Had taken the time to bust out a circle in a frozen section of a slough off a river, and mallards were piling in gangbusters. We were one bird short of a limit, and here comes a solo greenhead locked up. Instead of touching down in the opening though, he decides to land on the ice just outside the open water. Why, I have no idea, but as we watched, with me ready to touch off a round and call it a hunt, the stupid bird skidded on the ice and was headed for the hole, when all of a sudden he hit a rough patch, or a piece of ice sticking up or something. The damn thing was like one of the three stooges of the duck world. An audible 'CLICK!' was heard as his bill smacked the ice as he face planted, then slid into the hole. It was almost like we were expecting a 'hey, I did that on purpose for your entertainment, guys' out of him. I couldn't bring myself to shoot him and soon after we headed out a bird shy of our limit, but wearing wide smiles.

GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Not a rifle but shotgun. Had taken the time to bust out a circle in a frozen section of a slough off a river, and mallards were piling in gangbusters. We were one bird short of a limit, and here comes a solo greenhead locked up. Instead of touching down in the opening though, he decides to land on the ice just outside the open water. Why, I have no idea, but as we watched, with me ready to touch off a round and call it a hunt, the stupid bird skidded on the ice and was headed for the hole, when all of a sudden he hit a rough patch, or a piece of ice sticking up or something. The damn thing was like one of the three stooges of the duck world. An audible 'CLICK!' was heard as his bill smacked the ice as he face planted, then slid into the hole. It was almost like we were expecting a 'hey, I did that on purpose for your entertainment, guys' out of him. I couldn't bring myself to shoot him and soon after we headed out a bird shy of our limit, but wearing wide smiles.

That's funny - I can picture it. As a teen I one day watched a bunch of mallards playing on an iced-over sandbar on the Missouri River in North Dakota, 25 miles below the Garrison Dam. Every evening as the power grid came up, more water was released, raising the river level, which iced the sandbar. During the day, the iced sandbar was a couple feet out of water, but smooth and slick.

The ducks (there were a couple dozen - tho not all of them were doing it)) would take off from the water, circle around to belly-land at speed on the ice and slide 50 feet or so, plopping off the end into the water, then quack loudly, and do it all over again.

I must have spent 2 hours watching them...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
my dumba$$ critter story is the time that i flushed a coot which proceeded to fly directly into a thorn tree (one of the jobs with the 4" thorns on the trunk) and impaled itself. the coot got itself good, the thorn went straight through his neck. came back later and it was still there. life can be literally impossible for the stupid

then again, coots as a species really are some of the most unfortunate in the intelligence department.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
68W Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by kawi
I shot at a badgers head plain as day but it was not it was a drill stem I had shoved in years ago. A badger ripped out of a hole five or so feet away doing circles like no badger should,Swear it looked like it was holding it's ears.Poor Bugger anyhow.

I know I don't post a lot so no one knows me, but I read a lot here. Is it just me or has Kawi's grammar/spelling become vastly better? OR...Am I just more fluent in "Kawi"?

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine
68W Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ingwe
I got myself to a coyote stand where I had to lay prone to call, no cover. Call one in sho' nuff and as he was scanning for the rabbit his eyes locked on to mine. Another " I am soooooooo [bleep]" moment! laugh

My first called coyote was similar. I was sitting at the base of a cedar tree watching a yote from way out work the ground to his advantage, dipping in and out of low ground and ditches and along an old barb wire fence. He dipped into one last "ditch" for lack of a better word that led straight at me. I had my rifle pointed where I thought he'd appear. He crested up out of that wash broad chested ears straight up at attention staring down my barrel no more than 10 yards away from me. His face was much like you described. I was able to keep it together and shoot him though. I've been addicted to calling coyotes ever since, I just wish medical school would give me some time to do it.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If you mean in a reply post - sure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't consider myself overly morbid but....we hunt deer as a club and put on large scale drives. I had a doe tag yet to fill and was watching a ridge where the deer were being driven from my left to my right, across my face. The woods were quite that day and one could hear the damn things coming a mile away. I set up knowing about where the shot would present itself. Naturally a doe had ninja'd herself right up the ridge and was 20 feet from me. Looking straight at me, I shot it square between the eyes with a 243. At the shot both eyes rolled out like a slinky and its legs locked like telephone poles. It fell over like a tree against an oak tree. It came to "rest" leaning, still completely rigid, against that tree like a broom stick in your kitchen closet with both eyes dangling out like a damn accordion.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Was squirrel hunting about 20 years ago. I was sitting on the trunk of a downed tree when I saw some movement out of the corner of my eye. It was a squirrel slowly coming along the same tree trunk I was sitting on. I did not move and the squirrel hopped over my lap and kept on going. For a second there, I was afraid he would go for some nuts half way across my lap!

Anyway, he jumped off the tree trunk, still moving slowly, and I never saw him again.

Never did get a shot at him, but I still enjoy the memory of it .

Steve

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
He does seem unusually coherent.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Pard and I had agreed to each walk along the edge of a long clear cut that was perhaps 500 yds wide and about a mile long. We agreed that when we each came to the other end of the clear cut, we would walk to the middle and wait till the other came over to meet. We hoped to jump elk that would be bedded down along the edge or out in the open soaking up the sun, we had 6" of powder snow.

Well, I got to the end of the clear cut first, time to take a leake. I was doing my thing when I heard this grunting sound, looked up and a big bull elk was coming at me at a quartering angle. Well, I had leaned my rifle against a close tree. I pissed all over my rifle and myself as I reached for it, first shot was over the bull's back as he was running down hill, second shot more of the same, third shot aimed low and further out front, hammered him mid body. 140g Ballistic tip, killed him dead right there, no kickling.

I told my partner what had happened as he walked over. He laughed so hard I thought he would puke. Then he pulled out a Leatherman to help me skin the bull...insult to injury!

IC B3

K
kawi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks 68W.

K
kawi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
August when a haples coyote took a sonder threw a goat fawning ground.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I was hunting squirrels a month or so ago and the squirrel rut was in full effect. There were two way at the top of this 80 foot pine chasing each other around. They got still and I noticed that they were doing the act. Not wanting to shoot a man in a moment like that, I watched them. Right when they finished, she kind of turned around and snapped at him...and he lost his grip. Being that that pine was long and straight, the only limbs were within twenty fee of the top, so he fell straight down and hit the ground with a solid "whump". I waited a minute or two and he didn't move and I was walking over to pick him up. Then suddenly, he woke up, jumped up on the tree, and went up for another round. I just smiled and tipped my hat to him instead of shooting him.

Last edited by JoeBob; 02/16/14.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by 68W
I shot at a badgers head plain as day but it was not it was a drill stem I had shoved in years ago. A badger ripped out of a hole five or so feet away doing circles like no badger should,Swear it looked like it was holding it's ears.Poor Bugger anyhow.

I know I don't post a lot so no one knows me, but I read a lot here. Is it just me or has Kawi's grammar/spelling become vastly better? OR...Am I just more fluent in "Kawi"?

Yea, I think Kawi is going to college now.

I still don't understand what dowel rod he had in what gun he fired at a badger or what he feeds badgers to get them dizzy, but he is improving. grin

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by 68W

Yea, I think Kawi is going to college now.

I still don't understand what dowel rod he had in what gun he fired at a badger or what he feeds badgers to get them dizzy, but he is improving. grin

Picking on a guy who hunts badgers with cordless drills is a uberfluckingrisky!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I figure you guys might enjoy a true story from my past .
back in about 1968-1970 I had purchased a 7.5" barrel ruger super black hawk revolver in 44 mag caliber and a quick draw holster some what similar to these pictures, I had been into hand loading and casting bullets and Id had a great deal of practice , I could hit beer can size targets out at 50 yards more times than not with mild hand loads, that were about 357 mag power level I used for target practice,back then, a 240 grain cast bullet at about 900fps, I thought I was rather good. Now the area we practiced shooting at , during this time frame was well out in the everglades at a place where two canals make a 90 degree intersection,theres a 20 foot tall berm with a road on its crest on the side of each canal , the berms had the roads that were placed on top of them,were made from the fill pulled from the canals, the canals allowed water to drain freely , from the areas they bordered.
the roads gave access to the areas, as they were 20 plus feet higher than the surrounding area, so this meant we could place targets on the inside facing slope angle on the slope of the 90 degree angle on one leg and drive down to the intersection and drive down the intersecting berms road so we can shoot diagonally across the intersection safely from the other road, making placing targets easy. as its a quick drive down the two connecting 90 degree legs, we usually brought both rifles and hand guns on these trips and placed targets out at fairly long range for the rifles but for pistols we just threw targets out at fairly close range.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
now picture this, Im about 19-20 years old at the time and have spent a great deal of time practicing my fast draw with the revolver to the point I am reasonably fast, we get out to the area and place targets out at about 250 yards down one leg of the two berm slope angles then drive back to the intersection, turn and drive about 250 yards or so down the road to a point where we can clearly see the targets from the road we are on, this places the targets about 325-350 yards out from our shooting position, but allows us to safely shoot across the low swamp area into the raised berm road shoulder where we have placed targets
( which were mostly 1 lb tin coffee cans painted florescent orange)
as we get the truck parked after setting out the targets, a car pulls up, and an older guy who looked to be in his 50s gets out, and seeing we were about to shoot, he asked what were were using for targets.
I point out the dozens of orange cans on the far slope berm and hes amazed, as he can barely make out the brightly painted cans at that distance.
I assure him that thats really what were shooting at and ask if he might like to try a few shots with his scoped 270 win, well he says he has never shot past 100 yards but yes he would like to try, during the next 20 minutes I watch him shoot and try to give him some idea where hes hitting, because I doubt hes hit even once within 20 feet of the targets, he turns to me and says, "no one could possibly shoot and hit targets that far out"
(now remember IM a wise ass 20 year old at the time) I say, " youve got to be kidding me, I could do as well as your doing with my pistol" well all my friends have also been watching this and hear me say that ......and start egging me on to prove it, and yes about that time my few working teen age brain cells start to say "NOW WHAT DUMMY"

now if you had ever gone out in the everglades back then you would have constantly seen these small black birds that flew very rapidly catching dragon flys and such just over the swamp cat tails and I had an idea! I knew from past experience that if you shot at one they instantly folded their wings and dropped like a stone into the cat tails for protection, I also knew this guy was very unlikely to know that and there were dozens of these birds constantly flying by, so I pointed out one that was flying about 100 yards out and pointed it out and said... see that bird! I then fast drew the ruger in my best johnny Ringo, or mat Dillon, gun fighter impersonation, and fired from the hip in a blur of movement , knowing or at least expecting the bird I just shot at would instantly drop and I could claim , damn only nicked him!
but to EVERYONE'S amazement (INCLUDING MY OWN) the bird exploded in a burst of feathers , my friends were all laughing their butts off, the guys face expression was priceless! my friends had almost instantly figured out the intended deception/ scam,AND the amazing unexpected results, but the old guy just quickly packed up and left!

T
T
Thanks for a good laugh 340mag! Great story.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I love it when a plan ( or not) comes together!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TFF

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

685 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12savage, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 117LBS, 67 invisible), 3,007 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,642
Posts18,512,316
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.